Author Topic: 4 Week Post Op Visit  (Read 2363 times)

para1

4 Week Post Op Visit
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:32:26 pm »
Hi,

I just had my 4 week post op visit and I was relieved to hear that things that were making me nervous are normal.  When I came out of my AN surgery I had facial paralysis on my left side of my face.  My eye wouldn't open and my mouth drooped considerably.  It had gotten alot better with the steroids and now my eye only seems to droop when I am tired.  Although, those who know me do notice that my left eye looks smaller than my right.  I also produce no tears in my right ear (my surgery was on my right side).  My tongue is numb and I don't have much taste.  I also have a constant buzzing sound that I hear.  My doctor assured me that all of this is normal and would go away in time.  My balance is very off and the doctor picked up on that as soon as I got out of the chair.  I can seem like I'm walking fine and then all of a sudden I veer off into a wall or something!  The dr. recommended vestibular therapy so I am starting that on Monday.  He said that I should use my judgement about what activities I participate in right now. I do not feel comfortable driving so I won't attempt that right now.  The doctor explained to me that since this tumor has been a "partner" to my brain for the last ten years and now it's gone, it's almost as if it were an amputee and the brain is wondering where the tumor is.  I know that may sound crazy but it made sense when he explained it.  My tumor was large and the dr. said that my brain had to move back to it's orginial place and readjust.  He said that the hardest thing is that since he didn't shave my head, I look fine, and people will expect me to be fine but I'm not there right now.  He wouldn't even discuss going back to work until I have my therapy and see him in a month.  I am curious if anyone experiences what I'm feeling in my head.  For the most part, where the incision is, my head is completely numb.  It almost feels as if I have a helmet on.  But certain parts of my scalp are so tender.  It even hurts to brush my hair.  It's strange.

Anyway, I know that I'm coming along well but I just get frustrated.  I want to thank everyone on this forum because I have gotten some very informative answers and it helps to know that I'm not all alone.  People look at me and feel bad for me and ask how I am doing but I really feel like no one could ever understand how I'm REALLY feeling unless they've gone through this.  So, thank you for making me feel normal.

Be well!!!!!! :D

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
Re: 4 Week Post Op Visit
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »
Congratulations! I have yet to have my surgery, June. Good to hear you are progressively getting well! Sounds like it will be all behind you soon. How large was it? What type of surgery did you have?
Be Weill,
Bill
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:07:23 am »
para -

you are correct, all of the things you are dealing with right now are normal.  And hopefully, short-term.

Patience is key (although lots of time very hard to find) for post-op recovery  ;)

Congratulations on being 4 weeks post op.  A definite milestone.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »
Para ~

Your frustration is understandable but as you know, things will improve, with time.  Vestibular therapy should help you regain your sense of balance.  Although it probably won't ever be exactly 100%, it should be quite serviceable. The 'numb' feeling at the incision site usually takes close to a year to normalize.  At least, that was my experience.  As with most post-op issues, they'll continue to resolve as things heal, just as your doctor predicted.  Those that don't can usually be addressed with therapy or, in some situations, minor corrective surgery, if necessary.  The dilemma of appearing to be fine but suffering with problems is one most post-op/radiation patients have to deal with at some time.  We usually just internalize the problems because few people who haven't been through it can understand and no amount of explanation can change that.   I was replying "I'm fine, thanks" to questions about how I felt, for months after my surgery (and follow-up radiation) even as I was still healing.  It was easier that way.  You know what?  I found that saying "I'm fine" actually helped me believe that, despite some very minor issues, I was fine.  Proving once again, that our attitude can make a difference in how we feel.  Well, in did in my case.  I hope that soon you can say "I'm fine" - and mean it.  :) 

Jim         
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.