Author Topic: To tell or not to tell....  (Read 7236 times)

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
To tell or not to tell....
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:47 am »
that is the question.

Please excuse my absence of late. No excuses. I'm very much looking forward to the trip north on Thursday. As much as the symposium is occupying everyone's thoughts I do have a question of a different sort. Do you tell or not tell a potential employer about your AN/surgery/aftereffects?

A bit of background.... I was working as a special education teacher when I was diagnosed with my AN. I had been at that school for approximately 8 years and since they had promoted me to the department head position and recommended me to become a vice principal assume that I was doing a satisfactory job for them.

When I was diagnosed I had already given notice that it would be my last year at school due to our moving. Sequence was, school started in July. In August we decided to move from Hawaii to Arkansas (will gladly answer the "WHY?" that just popped into everyone's head..chase me down at the symposium) for reasons entirely unrelated to how happy we were in Hawaii. In January discovered a squatter, in the form of my sticky little friend, was wrapped around my cranial nerves. In May, conducted the grand opening and walking tour of Tim's brain to evict said squatter. I had enough sick days accumulated that I did not return to work at the school after surgery.

I resigned my position during the summer and we moved not long after school started up again. The first months in Arkansas were occupied in finding a house, closing, moving in etc. The house we found was a foreclosure and had been sitting empty for 9 months. Since moving in my time has been used in renovating the house and trying to stay ahead of the fecundity of the yard.

Now, to the present... having reached a certain point in the renovations I believe it's time to ease back into the public work force. The basic question I have (bet you were wondering if I would ever get around to actually asking...) is "Do I tell potential employers that I've had an AN and brain surgery?"

I suppose an idea about how noticeable my aftereffects are is needed since only one of you have actually met me in person. (Kay you might be able to offer insight as to how noticeable things are.   I have some hearing loss, but I've had that for a long time and my AN ear actually has better hearing than my "good" ear (much to the surprise of all my surgical team leading up to the removal). I have some bugginess/twitchiness (synkinesis?) on the AN side of my face. I have slight, non-constant wonky head with brief moments of instability. This instability is enough to keep me away from cliff edges when I'm hiking and occasions a misstep on a somewhat frequent basis. I haven't crashed into the wall in a while but I do veer noticeably when I'm walking and turn my head 90 degrees to the side to look at something.

So my question.. Those of you that have been involved in the hiring process since your AN started affecting you...did you tell? If you are on the hiring side of the process...Would you want/expect a potential employee to inform you of something like this? (Insurance is not an issue, my health insurance is through Cyrilee's military retirement benefits.)

Thanks in advance for the input and as always, I take full responsibility for whatever direction I decide to go in for this situation. Don't worry about me coming back and claiming "Well, you told me..." Just looking for a relating of your experiences to swirl around in my head to keep my brain off the fact I have to be in an airplane in a couple of days (I really don't like to fly).

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Lilan

Re: To tell or not to tell....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:46 am »
I would absolutely not feel the need to put forward any details during the hiring process, at least early on. Much like on a first date, you don't point out your flaws. LOL.

Most companies will put you through a health test, and that should give them the info they want. If they don't ask it, they don't need to know. Also, your AN has already been treated -- if you were about to need a very costly treatment with lots of time off, I would answer differently.

This is just "how you are" now. It's a bigger deal to you than it should be to any new acquaintances or employers.

If it does come up somehow, or you get to an advanced stage of talks and feel a burning need to share, I would make it as succinct as possible: "I had an inner-ear issue that has successfully been treated." Moving on.....

Every possible new hire has issues, and they should not come in on day one saying "I have a sick mother, so as soon as I can get away with it I'll be leaving at 2 every day!" or "I have four kids under age 10 who have doctor's appointments 3x a week" or "I get drunk Thursday through Sunday and won't be of much use to the company until about Wednesday!" or "Everyone in my family has had diabetes by 50, so get ready for my medical bills!" or whatever.

You are there to SELL yourself. Do it and enjoy the fruits of your new job!  :D 
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:59 am »
I agree with Lilan, Migoi.  The surgery is behind you , and a simple explanation of some occasional inner ear issues should suffice.  Any other info should be on a "need to know" basis.  Let them see you as competent and capable before they form any other opinions about you, rather than handicapping yourself unnecessarily.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:29:51 am »
Tim .....

I agree with Lilan and Priscilla that there is no need to discuss your AN surgery with a potential employer.  This is assuming you will be applying for a position that your hearing, balance, or other related issues would have no bearing on your job performance.  Are you thinking about going back into Special Education?  As a retired teacher (and there are several current teachers on this Forum), I think I could manage a regular classroom but not sure if I could handle a behavior disorder class ..... due to the need to hear directionally.  If you are confident in the adaptations to have made, there is no reason to explain anything to an employer.

Looking forward to meeting you in a couple of days ...... supposed to be clear and in the low 80s in Chicago this week-end.  Yeah!!  My kind of weather!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:37:01 am »
Tim~ 
HELLO!!!
I called Dave to get his opinion too, but he wasn't available (but I think he would say the same thing as me)...we couldn't tell ANYTHING from your appearance or actions that you had endured brain surgery!  Of course, that is coming form someone who has very obviously had something done!  LOL!  Seriously though, I don't think that there is anything that would make me even hesitate to consider you as an employee - especially knowing what all you have been doing the last year to your house!  I guess the ONLY thing i would have to consider - & this is YOU not a potential job - is how you will do in a SpEd classroom if you  needed to take action FAST (ex. behavior or health reasons)...

Good luck - I know you will do great!!
Can't wait to see you again and meet Cyrilee!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:51:20 am »
Tim ~

This is a fairly common dilemma for post-op AN patients seeking new employment.  On that basis, I appreciate your question, as well as your offer to absolve us from any negative consequences of any decision you may choose to make, which, as you correctly stated, in this matter, is your responsibility, alone.

That being duly noted, I have to agree with the previous posters; i.e. if a potential employer doesn't ask, directly, then I see no reason to divulge specific information regarding your acoustic neuroma diagnosis and subsequent surgery.  However, in my experience - especially when you're applying for a responsible position - an employer's HR department may hand you a form asking for a list of any chronic illnesses or surgeries you may have had and/or simply ask you to list any impediments that might affect your ability to perform the job you're seeking.  Of course there are laws preventing the potential employer from asking too much or even appearing to discriminate based on any possible physical limitations that would not affect your ability to do the job for which you're applying.  That is the salient point: if your slightly impaired hearing or occasional manifestations of less-than perfect equilibrium won't impede your ability to perform your classroom duties, which seems doubtful, then I see no reason why you need to divulge this information.  Of course, this is an issue of judgment.  To be totally forthright about your tumor and surgery as well as mentioning your minor physical deficits related to the AN - or to simply omit that information unless asked in a very specific manner by a potential employer.  As you noted, it's your call.   

Because you won't need medical insurance from a potential employer, that may obviate this quandary for you.  As long as you're in reasonably good health with no truly outstanding physical deficits that could affect your ability to perform the job you want, most potential employers will not attempt to explore every facet of your physical condition or seek medical information they don't need.  I believe that in your situation - with only minor deficits and not requiring an employer's medical insurance - you can safely avoid discussing your AN and related issues with no fear that this will jeopardize your position if the information should surface at a later date or cause you to feel you're committing an ethical lapse in order to secure a job.  Bottom line, for me:  I wouldn't mention the AN stuff.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:04:03 am »
OK - so Dave is on a conference call so we have been emailing - must be a riveting meeting!  Anyway, his response was "...just the matter of that turtle..."   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:14:18 am »
Don't put it on your resume under hobbies, but don't lie if someone asks.

See you in Chicago!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:42 am »
Hi Tim-

I agree w/everyone here - don't ask, don't tell.  If it does not affect your ability to perform the job, then it doesn't matter.

Now, that said, I usually DO tell people, but my situation (self-employed, coach, presenter) is a little different.  Also, I have chosen to go very public with this and use it in some of my speeches.  That's a very personal choice, obviously, and one I gave considerable thought to before I made my decision. 

If I were out looking for a job, I wouldn't bring it up at all. If it doesn't prevent you from doing what you do, it's no one's business.

Looking forward to meeting you in Chicago.  You'll be the one with the beard, right?  :D :D :D 
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:28:39 am »
Thank you all for the input and the kind words. I am of the mindset of not being loquacious (word a day calendars rock) to potential employers about medical issues.

Being very aware that my chosen career is working with other people's children I have hedged my bets a bit in finding out if I can still safely perform all the requirements of being a special education teacher...I'm applying to be a substitute rather than as a full time teacher. I've deflected inquiries by the HR folks as to why this choice by truthfully stating that my daughter will be graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy (yes, we are VERY proud of her) in May, a very bad time for a teacher to be gone for more than a week (USNA graduation is a week-long series of events and experiences that really shouldn't be missed). They seem satisfied with this explanation and I saw no reason to offer any further explanation.

To channel Paul Harvey for a moment... "Please come back after the commercial break to hear 'the rest of the story'.....

I've been to the administration offices 3 times now to drop off different pieces of paperwork (I take completed paperwork in..they give me more, it's quite the amusing process.). It's a very small school system in a very small town. How small you may ask... the first time I walked into the HR person's office, as soon as she heard my name she asked "Don't you live up behind the Kelly's?" She knew that because our neighbor is on the volunteer fire department, the treasurer of the volunteer fire department is also the bookkeeper in the administration office. Small town, everyone knows everyone, we're the new folks in town. Well, out of town actually.

The second time I dropped off papers, I was talking with the HR person. While it wasn't an 'interview' per se, I am very aware that every contact with the current employees of a potential employer can be part of the decision making process that potential employer uses. There is little doubt in my mind that by the time I do a formal interview with the principal he will know what the HR person thought of me. While I was talking with her, my face chose to go through a bit of a bugginess swarm... a brief episode of twitching around the eye and a tugging of the right side of my upper lip. It appeared that she noticed, based on the change of look on her face, although she said nothing about it. And neither did I.

I do remain firmly in the 'answer honestly if asked but wait for them to ask' camp, but it did cause the original question of this thread to carom off a couple of brain cells. I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion here. As Jim said...it's a fairly common dilemma.

To continue the discussion, would this alter your answer? Would you offer an explanation after a blatantly obvious manifestation, even if the interviewer didn't say anything?

Again, thank you all for the kind words and the discussion.

If you are wondering about the turtle comment by Kay...chase me down at the symposium and I'll show you a picture of my turtle..I'm betting you've never seen one like it. Kay, you can assure Dave that mention of the turtle won't happen until well after they are completely enthralled with my abilities.

..take care... tim b

Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:14 pm »
Tim ~

Your suspicions regarding the momentary facial twitches being noticed by the HR lady seem quite valid.  Whether she mentions this to the principal is an open question.  She may but you'll never know unless he asks, outright, which is highly unlikely because it would be (a) rude and, (b) probably considered impermissible in the context of a job interview.

To address your question (thought I would never get around to that, didn't you? ;)) I would not volunteer any explanations following a 'twitching incident' if the HR person didn't comment on it.  It's possible that if the principal has been apprised of your momentary facial twitches, he may ask if you think there are any problems you may have (physically) that might impact your teaching.  That would be code for "what's with the facial twitches I heard about?"  At that point, I would tell him that you had a small benign brain tumor that has been taken care of and that you occasionally experience a few facial twitches as a result.  I would be sure to add that you're confident these will abate, in time.  Of course, this statement would be followed by your assurance that this occasional twitching will not affect your ability to do the job you're applying for.  After that, it's out of your hands.  The principal will make whatever decision he makes. 

In this scenario you've been forthright (by necessity) and I don't think it would be a detriment to your job prospects.  It's not as if you're disabled to a point where you couldn't conduct a class.  Occasional facial twitching is hardly a huge impediment.  I suspect that in a small town there may not be that many applicants for a part-time Special Ed teaching position and your resume should help allay the principal's concerns.  Well, that and the fact that you won't be taking the school's medical insurance plan.  That's my take -  but of course, I'm not the one applying for the job.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:46 pm »
I am also for the don't mention AN issue unless asked.     It is also such that a special ed student may have some of their own physical characteristics and will think nothing of if the teacher has any.                   I have a daughter who is a 5th-6th grade special ed teacher in a small town.   That is a job I could never handle and know takes a very good teacher.       Good luck in your going for your job and hope it goes well!                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Darlene

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:22:27 pm »
Personally, If a natural segway occurred,(like your face twitching) I would probably reveal very basic information, reassuring my ability to function effectively in the classroom.   Not knowing why your face twitched might be more concerning, leaving them trying to determine if there was a health issue that might have to be dealt with in the future.   

I am a BOE Member for my town and hiring someone highly qualified who can do the job is of paramount importance, someone with differences is not a negative and is actually a very positive attribute to the learning experience of the kids. 

Having read a few of your posts, you sound like a great teacher and they will be very lucky to have you. 
 Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Keri

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17:58 pm »
I agree, you are a great special ed teacher. I have a daughter in special ed; her teachers throughout the years have had a wonderful impact on her life (Cheri - tell me about your special ed child if you don't mind me asking).

I know your graduation in May will be busy and a wonderful time. If you get a chance, please give us a call - would love to meet you and your wife. Also, grega - he's in Annapolis as well. I'm about 45 minutes away in Silver Spring.

I feel my life is incomplete since I won't be at the symposium to hear about your move from Hawaii and your turtle!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 10:47:11 am »
Well, that and the fact that you won't be taking the school's medical insurance plan.  That's my take -  but of course, I'm not the one applying for the job.

Jim

What do you do if you need the medical insurance plan from your new employer? ???

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.