Author Topic: my face feels bruised  (Read 11213 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
my face feels bruised
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:18:56 am »

.........and it has felt like this since the surgery my facial paralysis was grade 6 now I'm grade 4 but does everyone’s face feel like its bruised, you know if you have one of those sore bruises if you press it it feels tender and sore, that’s how my face feels constantly.

My jaw also hurts and my teeth hurt but I don't know if that’s something else, how do I distinguish between regular everyday aches and pains and the ones that have something to do with my AN, I have also been getting headaches but that’s another post, in the headache section believe it or not lol.

Most of the time I think I'm doing well, but then I read some peoples posts and end up thinking "wow I have that too"

Am I alone in this, should I be telling my doctor or am I just worrying about nothing.

Your input gratefully received

Thanks cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Kaybo

Re: my face feels bruised
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »
Cheryl~
I dcan't really help you as I have NOTHING on the AN side - no pain, no feeling!  Sorry - hope you get some answers!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:23:56 pm »
Mine has felt that way since surgery (for HFS not AN) in June. I don't walk around feeling like my face is bruised, but it is tender to the touch, especially around my eye socket. I don't get the zaps and tingles that other folks describe, though.

Like you I started out VI and am now at IV.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:55:44 pm »
Cheza,

I had my surgery Sept 2006 and to this VERY day what you described is what I feel.  Some days like today it is extreme, other days it seems to ease up, but it is always there.  Just after my surgery for almost a year I went from Doctor to Doctor for help and relief.  If I hadn't joined this forum and met very caring people who really, really care I probably would have ended up in the loony bin.  Who's to say I won't end up there anyway according to my lovely sons ;)

Yes please let your Doctor know what is going on.  Explain what you are feeling exactly the way you did here on this tread.  Medication does help.  Do not be afraid to take it.

Take care of yourself,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MKLady

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:11:42 am »
I have that same feeling especially around my eye and beside my nose.  If feels like I have bumped into something and bruised it. I've been thinking it is the stiff muscles that are sore from lack of use.  If I massage the area and/or apply heat it seems to help.  I put rice into a clean new sock or knee high stocking and heat it in the microwave.  Then I hold it over the area for a few seconds at a time.

Hope that helps.

Susan 
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:35:59 am »
Cheza ,

Applying heat is a good idea for about 20 minutes or so...

Perhaps it is time for you to see a neuro muscular facial retraining therapist- particularly if you are having pain in the face. You may have hypertonic muscles.

Here is an article to read
http://www.bellspalsy.ws/printretrain.htm

Here is a list of centers in the UK
http://www.bellspalsy.ws/centersE.htm

Below is a cut and paste from that website... I know some are "surgeons" (do not do surgery yet- give this some time)  but they might be able to point you to a "neuro muscular facial retraining therapist" in your region.

Regional Centre for Reconstructive, Plastic & BurnsSurgery (reanimation surgery)
Mount Vernon & Watford Hospitals NHS Trust
Northwood, Middlesex
+ 44 (0) 1923 826111

Wessex Neurological Centre (NMR)
Southampton General Hospital
Southampton, Hants
Lorraine Clapham, Supt. Physiotherapist
02380 777222 bleep 2035

Queen Victoria Hospital NHS (Reanimation/Cosmetic surgery)
East Grinstead, West Sussex
Mr. Charles Nduka, consultant plastic surgeon
01342 414141

Parks Physiotherapy (holistic/alternative: myofascial release, acupuncture)
St. Neots
Cambridgeshire PE19 1PJ
Jennie Longbottom, BSc MCSP SRP
Lynn Pearce Grad Dip Phys Lic Ac
01480 394715

Here is another article

http://www.ophth.wisc.edu/publications/fs_summer_04.pdf

DHM (aka "4")
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:40:30 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:38 am »

WOW  :o  thanks "4" that article made for some interesting reading, I do already receive physio on my face and use the electrical facial stim, but after reading that article I'm now doubting whether or not its actually helping, especially as my face went really tight just before Christmas to the point where my physio was afraid it was the start of synkenisis. I've not been using the facial stim for a couple of months now and I'm almost scared to try it again, mainly down to the fact that my face is just sore all the time, the more sore my face is the worse my headaches are and because my face hurts I seem to clench my jaw, or at least I think that’s what’s happening, I don't really know which of these actions gets the adverse reaction.

I don't know about you but I find it really hard to pin point what triggers what off, I think if I could work that out nearly half the battle would be won.

I really have found that article helpful I'm going to print it off and give it to my physio to read, I hope I won't seem like I'm teaching my granny how to suck eggs, I just think she should see it, never know there maybe something in it she is unaware of.

Thanks again "4" I feel enlightened, great reply.

Yours Cheryl XxX  :-*

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:38:20 am »
Cheryl,
I have many of the aches and pains (gums, teeth, tongue) and for me I know it is the trigeminal nerve that was affected.  There is one muscle on my tumor side that sometimes contracts and hurts like hell, like a mini-charlie-horse.  I agree with Anne Marie--let your doctor know.  I am on Clonazepam for nerve pain and that helps.
Hope you feel better soon.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:15:28 pm »
Cheryl,

In our recent ANA NMFRT presentation there was questions about the electrical stimulation raised and whether it could make things worse. I never had electrical stimulation and let things take their natural course. Interestingly  I do use an electrical tooth brush and the area around my lips are where my muscles are the most hypertonic where the toothbrush vibrates... however I continue to use the electric toothbrush as it is so hard to brush and not nick the inside of my mouth when I do not have muscle control there. I have nicked the mouth more times with the manual toothbrush and find the electrical one easier... nevertheless it does have me question if the vibration is causing too much stimulation to the facial nerves.

I am thinking that exercises in front of the mirror are best as there is immediate visual feed back... the electrical stimulation concerns me. I would like to have access to more data...

Maybe another postie might have something to share on that one.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:56:08 am »
Interesting DMH I also started using an electric toothbrush after surgery... my tongue could not move the food and although I would rinse and do everything possible it concerned me. So it has been the best thing possible to keep my teeth clean.
I too would like to know if there is any problem with using that type of stimulation. I go on the 6th of February to my facial therapist so I will inquire. I will keep you posted.
Let me know if you find anything out.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »

I too use an electric toothbrush for all the same reasons as yourselves, I hadn't even given it a second thought that the vibrations from the brush could be causing some of my facial problems, Very interesting tho I'm seeing my physio on 10th Feb, I too will enquire.