Author Topic: Biting My Cheek  (Read 10335 times)

Meagan

• Picture
Re: Biting My Cheek
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 04:05:27 pm »
This struck a cord since i just bit my mouth today and had blood coming out during lunch with colleagues.  My face retrainer said completely normal and will happen.  It is part of the recovery process and she said somethign about getting feeling back....didn't really get it but she wasn't shocked by any mean....
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

neal r. lyons

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 11:53:06 pm »
Hi David.  I've been a cheek, tongue, and lip biter for years.  I seldom chew gum for that reason.  Post surgery I found the problem compounded.  I was constantly biting the inside of my mouth-mostly cheeks.  As others have suggested, slow, methodical bites have been the solution for me.  I did read in a health food store that its better to chew your food alot.  At any rate I try to concentrate on each bite, and if I'm eating tasty food it's enjoyable.  Best wishes to you from Neal.
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

er

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 10:58:56 pm »
Hey David:   I bite my cheek, lip - not b/c of synkenesis but b/c of the paralysis.    I'm amazed you didn't have that problem prior to synkenesis !

Cheryl:   I echo Anne Marie:  I am so glad you came thru the surgery in true 'nursing' form.    I have the 'word' finding difficulties, but so do alot of
people our age.    The other day at work I couldn't remember the band who played 'Layla' - the next day I looked at the nurse I was speaking to about it
& I blurted out"Derek & the Dominoes" ! !    I use to be sharp as a tack (I'm figuring you were the same way ?).   So I tend to blame it on the AN surgery,
but others  tell me it's age ! 

I'm finally getting back to my pre surgery life, with only a few minor adjustments,  & I only had the AN surgery 1 time, so please give yourself time -
remember, you just went through the surgery again (you know this better than me !).

Always good thoughts everyone,    Nancy

hello Nancy
your comment of not being sharp as a tack. I do firmly believe it was the AN, the neurologist that put me on disability sad my cognitive part of my brain was what he was more concern, I do the stupidest things. and it is not age............
eve

er

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 11:07:12 pm »
Oh, David
I still bit my cheek or my lip, my lip still get in the way I sometimes have to push it out of the way to get my food in my mouth and I still use a straw to drink or it is all over me. I do have allot of improvement. But not all and it has been 3 years for me March 28.
eve