Author Topic: Ear fullness query  (Read 15085 times)

Badgerbob

Ear fullness query
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:34:45 am »
Hi all. I'm hopefully jumping the gun joining this forum, but I'm very anxious at the moment. For the last 5 weeks I have had symptoms of tinnitus, slight hearing loss and fullness sensation in my right ear. Searching the Internet, I can't help but seriously suspect AN. I'm booked in for an MRI tomorrow (Thursday) and am pretty terrified to be honest.

Anyway, my question is regarding ear fullness. Mine comes on within about 20 minutes of getting up and fluctuates throughout the day, disappearing completely when I lie down. Does anyone else have a similar symptom?

Regardless of the outcome, I will post back with my MRI results. Fingers crossed! This is a great forum BTW. Thank you all for listening.

Paul

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Ear fullness query
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:24:09 am »
Hi Paul .....

Making an assumption here that you are from Wisconsin.  My husband grew up in Wisconsin so I have a great fondness for your state!!

Soooooooo hoping your MRI tomorrow is clear of any AN, but if it is not, you have come to the right place for much support and great information.

As for the fullness in your ear, many of us experienced that in the early stages of hearing loss.  However, in my case, it did not come and go ..... just stayed "stuffed up."

Be sure to let us know what your MRI shows tomorrow.  I learned the hard way to go back to the imaging facility as soon as it was ready to pick up, for my personal copy of the CD and report.  Not everyone wants to know that way so if it will upset you and no doctor handy to answer your questions ..... it might be best to wait for the doctor to tell you.

Many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

millie

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:39:43 am »
Hi Paul-
I identify with your nervousness and gutwrenching anxiety.  I too had fullness in the ear after hearing loss.  I still have it-having been diagnosed with an AN in the left ear.  Just let me say this-I was told I would get used to it and there is life after acoustic neuroma.  It will get better.  If you have an an, it will be different, but you will be able to treat and handle it.
Prayers for all of us for strength and insight.  Also, you will get a lot of support from this site.
Millie

Badgerbob

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »
Thank you so much for your support guys. It means so much to me. I think I'll take a little diazepam before my MRI tomorrow!

Clarice, you're a little off on my location I'm afraid; I'm from Hartlepool in England!  :)

Will keep you informed. Thank you.
Paul

Alison

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:10:08 am »
Hi Paul,

I do hope your MRI experience was OK today. I had mine recently, (with no dye). I'm in the UK too (nr Bristol) and am also a newbie to this site.

I knew I wouldn't get the results on the day, and I sat chewing my fingers for a week before I decided to ring the ENT consultant for the results. It was a shock but not a surprise to be told it was a AN. (see my post just diagnosed for details). Although I still haven't seen the actual report, nor has my GP who is now chasing my referral to the neurosurgeon, as it seems to have lost in the system.

So I appreciate how nervous you'll be feeling awaiting the results to be written up by the radiologist before they are sent to the consultant/GP who ordered your MRI. I urge you to ring them next week, as they seem to take an age to get back to us otherwise. Fingers crossed your results will be negative.

Best Wishes,

Alison

CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Badgerbob

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:54:16 am »
Truly sorry to hear about your diagnosis Alison. Until recently, I never knew much at all about this dreadful disease, but now I really feel for everyone going through this.

Because I'm quite claustrophobic, I was really dreading my MRI, but fortunately it was no problem at all! Weird scary noises though! I will probably get the results a week on Monday, when I next see the consultant, but reading between the lines, I am cautiously optimistic. I'll keep you posted.

Take care and thanks for your reply.
Paul

Badgerbob

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »
Well....I still have raging tinnitus and a blocked ear, but I DON'T have an acoustic neuroma! MRI was clear. I feel so relieved, but feel so bad for you guys!

I wish you all well and if ever I get a dreaded AN in the future, I now know where there is a forum full of lovely, caring people!

Bless you all
Paul

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »
Paul .....

Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your MRI.  I am so grateful you do not have an AN and I sincerely hope you find an answer and remedy for the stuffed ear feeling.  The tinnitus is a nasty condition to have ..... you might like to check out the American Tinnitus Association.  See:  http://www.ata.org/  Research is constantly going on in an attempt to discover causes and treatments for tinnitus.  I surely hope they find additional answers for those of us who are deaf in one ear but still have screaming tinnitus.

Best wishes and keep in touch now and then to let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Alison

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:34:59 am »
Hi Paul,

Good news. Great you got the results so quickly.

Best Wishes

Alison
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)