Author Topic: After GK...MRI, Balance and Hearing  (Read 3637 times)

NYLady

After GK...MRI, Balance and Hearing
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »
Hi All,

Had my six month visit with neurosurgeon this morning (actually its 8 months post GK).  MRI done at 6 months, shows necrosis....thankfully.  He has given me a script for vestibular therapy, as my balance has deteriorated somewhat over the past three or four months, and he is confident the therapy will help a great deal. Gp fpr amptjer MRI at the one year mark in July.   Also, some feedback on my hearing issues.  I have become SSD since GK, but I am currently trying the new PHONAK bicros and Audio V hearing aid....just amazing so far.  Only have been using them for a week, and what a difference!  My voice has come down several octaves, I can actually hear birdsong again.  So many new sounds--paper rustling, footsteps, water running.  Even so much better on the phone.  Truly, it is amazing.   To some degree it has helped my tinnitus and balance.  Do not have extra programs yet, but will be going back within the next week or so for an adjustment.  At first, EVERYTHING was extremely loud, but now, a week later, it has become much more comfortable.  Thank you Arizona Jack for your input and kindness in communicating with me  regarding this system.  Will keep you posted as to how they are working....but so far, a home run!

Best wishes to all,
NYL

NYLady

Re: After GK...MRI, Balance and Hearing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:29:08 pm »
Apologies for the typos in previous post  :(

NYL

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:24:58 pm »
He has given me a script for vestibular therapy, as my balance has deteriorated somewhat over the past three or four months, and he is confident the therapy will help a great deal.

I predict that it will. I had two sessions just before GK and 4 sessions just after. I learned all the balance exercises and continued them at home. Once you get put on a balance pad and balance board I suggest you buy them for home use and spend a few minutes a day on each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F5SI40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053C3NIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have become SSD since GK, but I am currently trying the new PHONAK bicros and Audio V hearing aid....just amazing so far. 

Is that with the new CROS II?

Ross is keeping a journal of his experience with the new equipment:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21818.msg979765731#msg979765731

just amazing so far.  Only have been using them for a week, and what a difference!  My voice has come down several octaves, I can actually hear birdsong again.  So many new sounds--paper rustling, footsteps, water running.  Even so much better on the phone.

At the risk of being gross, have you listened to yourself peeing? It'll sound like Niagara Falls. LOL.

Thank you Arizona Jack for your input and kindness in communicating with me  regarding this system.

You're welcome.

We are kindred spirits.

I'm hoping I can get the CROS II through the VA this year.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

NYLady

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »
My surgeon gave me a prescription for four sessions a week for 16 weeks.  I should notice some improvement after all that therapy.  I will look into purchasing those mats when I need to.  Thanks.

Yes, I do have the Phonak CrosII with the Audeo 70.  Really a great combo and I am so thrilled that I can hear again.  My audio said once the "Wow"  factor is absorbed, we will get down to business to really fine tune them.  See him again in two weeks.  Pretty impressive though.  Suffice it to say ALL sounds have been enhanced (more than that is really too much info Jack). Phone and TV are also improved enormously.   Once again, thanks for the information on the Phonaks.  It was so very helpful to me.  You really are a great resource for all of us.  Be well.

Best,
NYL

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:26 pm »
Have you been able to use the Stereo Zoom when there is a lot of background noise?
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0