Author Topic: LA Fires  (Read 2320 times)

cindyj

LA Fires
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:05:07 am »
Just saw the news about the fires out there in and near LA - hope everyone we know is ok...

David, Nancy L, Lainie, Cheri, Mathilda (who have I missed?) - thinking of you - let us know what's going on when you can.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lainie181818

Re: LA Fires
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:09:56 am »
Hi Cindy,
Thank you for asking about the fires. Luckily I am about 40 miles away so am not affected. You can smell the smoke outside and it makes for some very eerie sunsets, all pinky orange. This is one of the prices we have to pay for living here, along with earthquakes, and mudslides. We tend to take it in our stride unless personally affected, but yes it is scary.Nancy lives about the closest so I will call her and make sure everything is OK. I know she has been away the last few days but I'm sure she's monitoring it on the news. I think David should be OK too.
Lainie.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:27:15 am »
was hoping fire season was a done-deal in S. CA.... sending wishes that all stay safe.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:25:40 pm »
Thanks for thinking of us Cindy.  I'm fine.  I live in the city -- if it catches fire here -- we're all in big trouble.  I am quite sure that Nancy can see the fires from where she lives -- but there is a lot of Valley towns between her and the main fires.  But even 20 miles away, I can smell the smoke and while I haven't been outside yet, I am sure there is ash all over the place like there has been in the past.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NL

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:30 pm »
Cindy and Phyl,

Thanks for thinking of us. Just got back in town today and had been paying attention to the fires on the news. David's right, I'm at the opposite end of the valley, about 20 miles away. But I have family that live in Porter Ranch, the area of the fire. They had a mandatory evacuation at 5 AM today, but were allowed to go back home later this afternoon. Everything seems to be OK now.

Kathleen was here for the earthquake, Cheri was here during the fires, so Cindy...everything should be just fine for your LA stay. :)

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:15:34 pm »
Nancy
You forgot mudslides.  Watch out for those Cindy.  ;)
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NL

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:42 am »
Nancy
You forgot mudslides.  Watch out for those Cindy.  ;)
David

I didn't want to scare her away. :o  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:17:21 am by NL »
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 05:35:44 am »
Glad you're all ok, along with your family, Nancy (hope you had a good trip!)...

Mudslide, huh, perhaps I'll skip that scenic trip over to the ocean after all. 

Cheri, I'll catch up with you later, but have a safe trip home.  Know it will be exhausting, yet you must be very excited to be heading home!

Have a good day everyone,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:28:21 am »
David, Nancy, Lanie, Cheri and Mathinlda,
Glad to hear you're all okay.  These yearly wildfires sound like a scary thing to have to live with every year. 

Stay well,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:21 pm »
Those Santa Ana winds can be something fierce.  I remember them well.  I lived in Santa Paula and Ventura, California when I was 9 to 15 years old.  I can still remember vividly, being dressed for school, and back then, that meant skirts and sweaters even though we lived in a warm place, and going outside and feeling that hot wind and it made your skin itch, which didn't help with the sweater on.  The thing I remember best is that the wind blew all the fog and clouds and whatever out to sea and the sky was so blue and we could see the ocean from our house and the off shore Anacapa Islands stood out so clearly.  Because of the wind, whitecaps were being formed on the ocean, and the air was so clear, it seemed like you could reach out and touch them.  And we lived many miles from the beach, but up on a hill, so we had a view. Obviously, we had no fires the years that I remember the Santa Ana winds.   When the air was "normal", the islands usually were a blur. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode