Author Topic: 2 1/2 Weeks! Done!  (Read 3301 times)

cobbler

2 1/2 Weeks! Done!
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:02 pm »
So....surgery went well - Dr. McElveen and his team are awesome! very concerned and very thorough. When they got in the my tumor had actually grown and sort of split in two involving the facial nerve. They were fighting each other apparently. so they removed almost all of it and left a piece on my facial nerve so as not to have any paralysis. I will have to be watched for a while to make sure all is okay, but I feel sure it will be! Surgery on Tuesday, came home on Saturday. The 4 hour ride was a bit hairy, but I covered my head and took a nap. I have had no pain at all. Slightly tender, but never filled my pain meds. Tylenol has been fine.
7 hour surgery, but all is okay. Been out of the house a few times and seem to get better everyday. The dizziness is the worst! I hope it does not stick around too long. Really tired of the fuzziness. I feel like a giant bobble head! Still tired but I try to listen to my body and do as it says! The only other thing is the heart beat in my head....It only happens sometimes but geez. I already can't hear in my right ear and when it happens I can't hear anything. Happens on and off all day. Hope that goes away also!
All in all, I think I am recovering nicely and feel with time I will be fine.
This forum has been awesome for me. I hope I can help others as I have been helped!
Thanks everyone - Misty
Misty Cobb

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: 2 1/2 Weeks! Done!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:54:25 am »
Misty so happy to hear that it went well and hoping the dizziness will stop soon did they advise you to do Vestibular Therapy that may help you alot along with walking and rest rest rest but try not to overdue it.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:28 am »
Misty .....

So glad to hear the good report on your experience at Duke Raleigh Hospital and Dr. McElveen ..... and especially that you are doing so well.  The dizziness should improve rapidly.  As Pat said, walking is the best exercise, but if needed consider checking on finding a trained vestibular therapist (not just a trained physical therapist).  I went to one for months because of my unusual situation and it helped greatly.

Keep posting on how you are doing.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:53 am »
Misty,
Sounds like you are recovering well, and the wonky/dizzy/bobble head feeling should begin to diminish over the next couple weeks.  If not vetibular therapy might be a good idea.
Thank you for the update  :)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:26:01 am »
HI Misty-

I also had the "heartbeat in the head" thing - and I still get it sometimes.  I don't notice it as much now, but it is definitely a weird and slightly unsettling sound.  Hopefully it will go away.  Sometimes if I change position or rotate my head/neck, I can get the heartbeat noise to stop.  Give it a try. 

Good luck!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
Hi, Misty ~

Thanks for your post-op update.  I'm pleased to learn that your recovery is progressing satisfactorily and that you're 'listening to your body'  AN surgery recovery is something that always has time on it's side.  Although you may have to develop some extra patience along the way, I'm confident that you'll have a splendid recovery.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »
Wonderful news, Misty. No meds? WOW   :o

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:19:21 pm »
Sounds like your recovery is going quite well, Misty.

Congrats!   ;D

I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth.  Listen to your body and don't overdo it. 

I had no pain post op either - took no pain meds.  My biggest pain "issue" was a stiff neck from the position my head was in for 7 1/2 hours of surgery.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kathleen anna

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:40:37 pm »
Hi Misty...............sounds like you are on the road to recovery!   I also had and still do (sometimes) the heartbeat sound in my head......it really is annoying, isn't it?   It scared the heck out of me the first time I heard it!   I am 8 weeks post op and it definately has diminished.  I still have some dizziness/unbalance issues, but I am doing vestibular therapy and it does help.  Don't push yourself too hard, and listen to your body when it needs rest.....the stamina will come back.  Six weeks was definately a turning point for me.....for the better!!

Take care!           Kathleen Anna