Author Topic: Was your hearing loss sudden or gradual?  (Read 8836 times)

Tamara

Re: Was your hearing loss sudden or gradual?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 03:29:13 pm »
I have had a gradual hearing loss for the past 18 years or so.  Now, they tell me that my tumor could not have been growing that long (as it is only 7mm, but now that we know it was an adipose neuroma, who knows?).  I chalked it up to a noisy work environment - when a certain centrifuge was running, it would feel like someone was poking me in the ear with a stick.  Then, in sequence, I had 3 babies who all screamed in my left ear because I am right handed.  I was only diagnosed now because I got tired of being SSD in professional situations, and hoped that they had come out with a better hearing aid lately.

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 03:48:47 pm »
Tam,

Did you have your surgery yet?  Your sig says 6/12.  If so, I hope everything went ok.  Please let us know how everything went if you had the surgery.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 04:44:10 pm »
Nancy -

not sure Tamara is still logged in, but this link might help http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6596.msg67179#msg67179

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 07:59:29 pm »
Thanks Jan,

I get lost on the threads here so thanks for the update on Tam.  Glad you are hanging in there and hopefully you are being treated like a princess.  This is such a great place for support.  I am becoming more comfortable as I write and learn more about all of you.  Nice that you take time to check up on us newbies although I am getting quite a few stars above my name! 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Gloriann

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 11:02:55 am »

My initial hearing loss was sort of sudden, with a very gradual continuation.

Let me explain:

I went from a 30% hearing losss in 1974 to 100% hearing loss in 1979.

I remember in the spring of 1974 wondering if someone was turning the volume up and down on the tv, but I could see that nobody was doing that. That samne week as I drove around town, with the windows down, I could hear a lot of wind, so I would roll up the wondow, but still heard this.  I also began to hear sounds in my head when I would lie down in bed at night, when the house was quiet. These sounds reminded me of wind blowing, but it went from high to low very quickly, like someone turning the volume up and down quickly on a tv or radio.

I had just been to the airport to see someone off and stood close to jet that week and I had also just seen Elvis Presley in concert, sitting close to the stage and the music was loud. So I figured I must have had some nerve damage from one or both of these loud sounds.

I went to different doctors for the next 5 or 6 years and they all said it was nerve damage, but could not tell me why. It was not until 2001 that an MRI revealed the acoustic neuroma.
4 cm AN removed 2001- Memphis, Tn by
Dr Gale Gardner and Dr Jon Robertson

7/12 nerve graft 2002- Dr Jon Robertson

gold weight 2001 Memphis, a few days after tumor surgery- Dr James Fleming

Gamma Knife done December 29, 2010 at LSU Shreveport

Tumbleweed

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 07:56:28 pm »

That samne week as I drove around town, with the windows down, I could hear a lot of wind, so I would roll up the wondow, but still heard this.  I also began to hear sounds in my head when I would lie down in bed at night, when the house was quiet. These sounds reminded me of wind blowing, but it went from high to low very quickly, like someone turning the volume up and down quickly on a tv or radio.

This sounds a little like the pulsatile tinnitus I sometimes get. In my case, I hear "rushing water"  or "ocean surf" pulsing in time with my heart rate. If I hold my finger on a blood vessel in my neck to time my pulse, I can tell the pulsatile tinnitus surges in volume with the same exact timing as my pulse rate.

No doctor I've talked to says they know what causes this. But I've read somewhere on the Internet (can't remember where) that this may be due to the tumor pressing against an artery next to the hearing nerve, inside the internal auditory canal. The theory is that the hearing nerve picks up the sound of blood rushing through the blood vessel.

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08