Author Topic: A BIG Thank-you to all of you...  (Read 2484 times)

Ruthie Mac

A BIG Thank-you to all of you...
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:12 pm »
This is my first post, although I've been a member since May. I was diagnosed last May with an AN in left ear - 1.0 x 1.6 cm. after suffering from a myriad of symptoms for a year.

Once diagnosed, I was somewhat relieved that I had an answer to all these strange symptoms, yet was shocked and overwhelmed by what was ahead. In my shock, I read your posts - every category and went through old posts from previous years.

By the time I went to my first Doctors appt I had more of an education than I could have ever received from the Doctors. I knew the right questions to ask, and knew what the "real life" outcomes could be for the various treatments.

I am in awe of the honesty and bravery of all the members on this forum. Sharing your stories with such sincerity gave me so much hope.

After 6 months of research with Doctors from Boston, New York, & Los Angeles, I decided on fractionated SRS (4 sessions) with the Varian Trilogy RapidArc at UMass Memorial, Worcester, MA (Dr. TJ Fitzgerald). It's been a roller coaster ride, but so far so good. I have lots of stories too, but this post is to just to say a huge thank-you to all of you for being my invisible "back-up team". I am soooo grateful!!
4/1/2013  1 cm x 1.6 cm left ear
11/1/2013 SRS Varian Trilogy UMass Medical (4 sessions)
hearing is still good, slight tinnitus, working on balance issues

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: A BIG Thank-you to all of you...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
Hi, Ruthie Mac ~

I'm pleased to learn that your SRS treatments have apparently been successful.  Please try to keep us updated. 

Thanks for the kind words for our forums, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:18 am »
Hope you will stay around and share your experience with others that may log on. It was about 4 years ago that I started reading here...kind of like having someone hold your hand as you explore your new health problems. Very glad to hear you are doing well.

James

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »
Dear Ruthie and All who may read this,

The main reason I am here is to say that I have been on both sides of this(with and without the ANA) since 2004 (I spent six months) my first experience with AN and it is vastly more frightening and terrifying doing ALL the research and interview process on your own than with the help of these able volunteers and recources of the ANA forums in 2012.

I just recently (not as recently as all that June 2012) had a Gamma Knife Procedure done, which had been discussed in 2004. Let me say this firstly, my recovery was delayed as I had increased mobility issues and increased balance issues and even had a stint in Kessler Rehabilitation in the summer of 2005 and was not able to return to work for a year when I did return it took a great deal of time for me to get back to speed. But, I managed to get my life slowly back together, I followed up like clockwork with CT scans with contrast but then in 2011, I hit a speed bump (figuratively). I had to have Gamma Knife, I very nearly had a nervous breakdown but for the calming effects of everybody here I chose my top 3 choices and began the interview process again.

I rarely quote famous politicians but" it does take a village " were it not for the help and careful guidance of my wonderful friends here on the ANA forum I am certain that something would have cracked!

I cannot recommend them and thank them enough, it is helpful when someone else recognizes them for what they do quite selflessly; which is to recommend to the best of their ability the highest standards of medical care and urge you to proceed and if you have concerns or questions that you think need asking ask them for it is you who will have to endure the pain of an unasked question.

I believe when something you benefit from happens to you such as this experience, it is your obligation to amplify it to others and share your experience, so I will be bold and ask you to"Pay It Forward" in this way you can be victorious over the AN and really make it small and insignifigant.

Really,there is so much more of life that we all have to live!

Be well.

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!