Author Topic: waiting to schedule surgery..  (Read 2009 times)

ewchisek

waiting to schedule surgery..
« on: December 15, 2012, 05:27:48 pm »
it has been a LONG two weeks..I never imagined my life would change so drastically in a matter of two minutes reading my MRI results.  As Im sure all of you felt the same.  My question is..as I wait for everything to move forward with the surgery, is there anything I shouldnt be doing?  I try to act "normal" in front of my boys, but when around friends or at work, its hard to just act normal..Its hard to think of anything but this... Did any of your doctors tell you not to do certain things?  I guess that is one question I didnt ask, just because apparently this thing has been growing for some time (2.5cm now) and I never really felt anything but dizziness, headaches..and my hearing is perfect in BOTH ears.  Im just really confused and actually really sad.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Kathleen_Mc

Re: waiting to schedule surgery..
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:08 am »
I was put off work immediately, Doctor was surprised I was still functioning as a nurse. Other than that I wasn't told to restrict myself in any manner whilst I waited for surgery (about 1 1/2 weeks from Diagnoses to surgery) and I didn't, other than not working I went about my business "as usual" mind you the time I spent waiting wasn't close to my usual carefree life, I was full of worry, my sleeping habits became even worse than they already were and I spent a lot of time shopping (therapy).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:22:53 pm »
There wasn't anything I was told I couldn't do.  I found out in December of 09, surgery wasn't until April.  I did ask to be given anti anxiety meds to help with my panic attacks I kept having when I thought about it too much.  I had no hearing loss either, all balance on AN side was gone, I just never knew it.  I compensated really well over time so I never noticed it.
I guess it really depends on what you do for a living if you work, etc.  I have a desk job so was fine to work up until two days before.  I took a couple days off before surgery to get things in order for my husband and my girls.
Keep us posted.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:56 am »
i've been restricted to panadol only for headaches and no antiflam medications.  I've also limited alcohol as i know it affects me and am trying not to 'run marathons' ... tis hard though.
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »
we found mine in August 07 and surgery was 12 / 3 . so no i did what i do, teach, right up until going into hospital.

made me realize why some things like balance and no hearing , no gyroscope on that side etc  were making me do things different

nowadays most of that is all gone except for when i am tired. although sinuses are a problem more after surgery then they were b4 due to face drop.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here