Author Topic: HEI - Retrosigmoid Approach - RS anyone?  (Read 3826 times)

newan1

HEI - Retrosigmoid Approach - RS anyone?
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:57 pm »
Hello Folks

Has anyone done Retrosigmoid Approach with HEI (House) ?
So far from the forum I see they do translab or MF.

I went to UCSF for consultation and they prefer RS since they have ben trained to do that and they do AN surgery every other week. And doc also mentioned House and another place in Iowa is good with MF approach.
UCSF doc also told me that retraction of the brain when using RS approach, the impact to cerebellum is less critical compared to MF where the temporal lobe is retracted. Of course % of issues reported are less but there are some.
Cerebellum -  for balance
Temporal lobe -  for speech and memory

Ray

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:23:57 pm by newan1 »

Cheryl R

Re: HEI - Retrosigmoid Approach - RS anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »
Ray, Good to hear that Univ of Iowa is mentioned by drs elsewhere for doing MF.      Dr Bruce Gantz is the neurotologist who does this and translab there.          Size does limit if MF can be done and also what damage the AN has done to the nerves.           Gantz is my surgeon.   He has told me that he does more than Mayo's.           Also know that he does 70 plus ANs a year.        I know that his total no of ANs has increased over the 12 yrs I have went to him due to over time being found to have NF2.        The current Fellow does the open and shut of the surgery.     I have come to know several fellows and who have went on to be all over the US now.                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:11:44 pm »
I had retrosigmoid approach, but not @ HEI.

Mid-fossa is usually done on smaller ANs and usually gives the patient the best chance of retaining their hearing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:06 pm »
While recovery at Seton Hall after surgery with the House Drs, I had breakfast with 2 other patients, one had RS, I had translab, the other had MF. They do all.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:20:24 am »
I had retrosigmoid at House/HEI. I too had met others while staying at Seton Hall.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012