Author Topic: biting lip?  (Read 3440 times)

satman

biting lip?
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:11:30 pm »
does or has anybody ever felt like
your biting or are biting your cheek and lip.
sometimes when eating i will bite my lip.
does this dissappear?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

marg

Re: biting lip?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 06:29:45 pm »
Hi satman,
   I am in the same boat.  I have partial facial paralysis on my AN side and I do bite my lip often when eating (especially when eating a sandwich).  It is very annoying.  My facial paralysis is getting a bit better so I have high hopes of putting my 'lip biting days' behind me sometime in the (hopefully) near future.  I sometimes bite the inside of my cheek too.... but I think that happens mostly at night.
      Hang in there.... it seems that as I get further from my post surgery date different things grab my attention in order of importance.  This is one of the smaller things... so I must be adjusting to the bigger ones to even be noticing it.
Remember ... we can only do this recovery thing one day at a time (and sometimes ... only an hour at a time).
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

satman

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 06:59:25 pm »
hi marg,i thought it was just me
as nobody was responding.i constantly feel
like im biting my cheek.
and sandwiches are tough,,i bite my lip to.
i've been staying away from bread as much as
possible,because it hurts trying to open my mouth
that wide,and i want a damn WHATABURGER i have'nt
had one since june.where's the justice!
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 07:05:49 pm »
I had conquered my jaw and lip biting years ago with orthodontia and full mouth braces in my early 50's.  Misaligned teeth are said to be the cause of jaw and lip biting.  

But after AN surgery I learned all over again about the importance of knowing how your tongue, lips, and jaws are moving when you eat.  I had a bad time in the first three our four months post op with lip biting.  I had minimal visble facial issues, but the numbness on my tongue was a real nuisance to deal with.  I had the greatest difficulty with bread and rolls.  In addition to being hard to chew up and biting my lip, I suffered from dry mouth and needed extra water to get dry foods down.  My dentist gave me some tips.

So, if you are having any of these problems try cutting or tearing larger foods, and chase with liquids.  For the pesky lip bite pain I rinsed with warm salt water.  Alcohol and peroxide based mouth washes aggravated my taste buds and numb tongue.  Use a very soft tooth brush, often.  This too will pass. :)

marg

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:45:27 pm »
Satman,
My jaw still hurts... but is getting much better in the last 2 weeks.  I could open it hardly at all 2 weeks after surgery.  It still doesn't seem to open as wide as it used to...but with the facial paralysis on the AN side my lips don't move out of the way so.... that is part of the problem of not opening wide enough.  I was finally able to eat corn on the cob 2 days ago.... so it will get better.
Margaret
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:25:49 pm »
Satman,

It does get better over time.  Right out of the hospital I would bite my lip so much it would bleed.  I have facial numbness to go along with the facial paralysis so I didn't even feel myself biting my lip.  Just saw the blood on my napkin.  I've finally gotten to the point where I can now eat an apple without bleeding.  Your mouth will open wider as time goes on.  I sort of practice stretching mine.  Hasn't stopped my eating at all. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

NF-2er

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:12:24 pm »
Hello;

Re, biting your lip and/or jaw hurting, if one has had Translab, feel back behind the ear and feel how close the hole in your skull is to your Temporal Mandibular Joint ( TMJ ) if I spelled that wrong.

I have terrific TMJ like pain upon yawning very widely or chewing some foods.

Just a thought for some who have severe pain in the TMJ area or are biting their lip as there may be a temporary misalignment due to edema following surgery, or permenately, if the area was stretched or invaded surgically during the mastoidetomy portion of Translab.

NF-2er

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »
Hi Satman, I have bitten the inside of my cheek more times in the last two years since my An diagnosis and treatment than I have before in my entire life.... :D... no idea why but it sure can hurt at times.....

Ellenmn

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:12:20 am »
I am 2 weeks post-op and my right side doesn't work very well. I bite my lips on occasion when trying to eat. It's very annoying,but I'm getting better at eating without biting myself.

Catflower

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 06:40:08 am »
I'm 12 weeks post op and the lip biting is getting much better so try to hang in there.  I tend not to eat a lot of tough things like rolls that are hard to chew.  I find I'm still not chewing very much on the right side though.

marg

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 09:36:26 am »
I don't find the lip bitting as annoying as the metal taste in my mouth... especially in the summer with all the fruit.  My Dr. does tell me that will go away.... eventually   :P.
Margaret
Marg 

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »
Hi Satman - I bit my lower lip mostly, it went on for a few months.  Now, over 1 year out, I rarely bite my lip - but it does happen from time to time.  I've learned to 'take human bites' !!!  Oh, the insides of my cheeks looked like railroad tracks for awhile also - it will improve !!    Best wishes to you,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis