Author Topic: Two Year update  (Read 3509 times)

Elliott

Two Year update
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:38:50 pm »
Hello All
Two years ago, almost to the day, I finished my 5 weeks (25 sessions) of radiation at Dunedin, New Zealand, hospital. I thought an update was warranted.
3 months ago I had a scan and, good news, the tumour (that is how we spell tumor in NZ) has shrunk. Initial size was 15x15x17 mm now it is, or rather in October it was, 11x9x14. By my reckoning it is now somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 what it used to be.
As for my symptoms, they have not improved but I can live with them. They are annoying rather than life changing. Hearing loss, ringing ear and balance being the worst. Fortunately headaches are extremely rare now. I cannot play sports the way I used to. But, hey, I am 50! Balance is not great. My wife has a fit when she finds me on the roof cleaning out the gutters, so I do that when she is not around! I am really careful up there.
For those who have just recently had treatment, I can only echo the words I have read so often on this site...Be patient. Don't fret when the first, or even second, MRI shows growth. Expect symptoms to worsen a bit sometime after treatment. Radiation treatment for these nasty little tumours has a very high success rate.
And...stay positive it is not always going to be like this Rev21:3,4. :D
2 cm AN.
Radiation via Linac machine. 25 x sessions, ending Jan 2014.

keithmac

Re: Two Year update
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:33:24 pm »
Hello All
Two years ago, almost to the day, I finished my 5 weeks (25 sessions) of radiation at Dunedin, New Zealand, hospital. I thought an update was warranted.
3 months ago I had a scan and, good news, the tumour (that is how we spell tumor in NZ) has shrunk. Initial size was 15x15x17 mm now it is, or rather in October it was, 11x9x14. By my reckoning it is now somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 what it used to be.
As for my symptoms, they have not improved but I can live with them. They are annoying rather than life changing. Hearing loss, ringing ear and balance being the worst. Fortunately headaches are extremely rare now. I cannot play sports the way I used to. But, hey, I am 50! Balance is not great. My wife has a fit when she finds me on the roof cleaning out the gutters, so I do that when she is not around! I am really careful up there.
For those who have just recently had treatment, I can only echo the words I have read so often on this site...Be patient. Don't fret when the first, or even second, MRI shows growth. Expect symptoms to worsen a bit sometime after treatment. Radiation treatment for these nasty little tumours has a very high success rate.
And...stay positive it is not always going to be like this Rev21:3,4. :D

It sounds like you're doin' a great job of gettin' on with stuff.  I'm older and my wife gets on at me when I'm up ladders doing the same gutter cleaning or cleaning windows.  I'm none too keen either nowadays but I hate the thought of giving in.  W&W at present but when treatment's eventually been carried out (pretty high chance I reckon) I'm expecting I'll probably have to accept my ladder days are over.  I spell tumour the correct way too.   ;) ;D

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:24:20 pm »
Guys, getting up on a roof without a "spotter" is dangerous and stupid, even in best of health.

Convince your wives that, when you have to do it, it's safer (and saner) to have them "spot" you while you are up there.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

keithmac

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:05:00 pm »
Guys, getting up on a roof without a "spotter" is dangerous and stupid, even in best of health.

Convince your wives that, when you have to do it, it's safer (and saner) to have them "spot" you while you are up there.

Oh I don't climb on the roof any more!  Just to near the top of a two-section ladder, also using a ladder-stay,  is more-than-high-enough for me and even then only when there's no more than just a little breeze.

I may be daft but I ain't stupid. ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:07:24 pm by keithmac »