Author Topic: anxiety issue much improved since having the surgery  (Read 3143 times)

ghenier27

anxiety issue much improved since having the surgery
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:10:20 am »
I don't know if anyone eles suffers from anxiety or panic disorders. But the strangest thing has happen. The anxiety that I have had since 2003, is just about gone. I don't quiet know what to think about this and intend to mention this to my doctor tomorrow. Their really wasn't a time when I was at some level of being nervous. BUT since the surgery, I am so calm and laid back. I am just wondering if maybe some part of my tumor had something to do with my anxiety? And no I have been off all pain meds for sometime now. I am just hoping this continues, I am really enjoying this! Debi

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: anxiety issue much improved since having the surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:07:13 pm »
Debi ~

You probably won't be surprised to see that I have no idea whether the absence of your AN is a factor in the lifting of your long-standing anxiety - but I wouldn't rule it out.  I'm very pleased to learn about this positive change in your emotional state and I look forward to learning your doctor's opinion on it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epodjn

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:43 pm »
I have had the same experience. It's been almost a year and for the most part, no anxiety. I have noticed a bit just lately but nothing like before. I mentioned it to my surgeon and he totally dismissed it but when I mentioned it to my family practice doc he said he believed me because several other patients with cranial surgeries had the same thing. Whatever caused the change, I'm sure not missing those horrible feelings.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Lyssa

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »
Wow! So interesting... I would say, at just about 10 mos. post op that my anxiety level has decreased. Growing up I was like the biggest worry wart, everything stressed me out. I'm much more laid back and "open" since my surgery, but I've kinda drummed that up to having a better perspective on life. It would be pretty neat if there was a medical reason to back it up! I still get fairly wound op over things, but I think that's just my personality, because I no longer feel like I'm anxious... confusing lol.
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D

ghenier27

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:38:17 am »
I am sorry - I thought I had updated this thread. When I saw the doctor last week, I told him of my anxiety issues. At first, he said well everyone gets nervous before surgery. Then told him that I was diagonised in 2002- 2003 with anxiety and panic disorders. How I did therpy for 7 years and was on meds for 4-5 years.  Now after surgery, I am calmer and more relaxed than I have been in years. He told me it was possible for this to happen. However, I shouldn't tell everyone AN person who also has anxiety that this would cure their anxiety problems too. I consider this to be additional bonus to also getting rid of the tumor. I am very blessed.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 04:21:42 pm »
Debi ~

Thanks for the update.  Like your doctor, I'm not really sure about the scientific reason for your anxiety lifting but if it were me, I would just happily accept this 'bonus'.  I think the doctor's admonition regarding not setting the loss of long-standing anxiety as an expectation for other pre-op AN patients is prudent and I trust you'll heed his suggestion.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »
My completely 'non medical' opinion would be that since you've gone through hell and back worrying about the surgery, you probably don't sweat anything *else* as much as you used to.  Walk in the park considering what you've been through, and come out well from........

Just my .02 cents. 

Either way, I'm glad to hear it.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »
Debi,

It's a wonderful bonus whether tumor related or not!

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/