Author Topic: Is there Leakeage draining down the mouth, like saliva?  (Read 4420 times)

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
Is there Leakeage draining down the mouth, like saliva?
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:23:57 am »
Hello - I just developed a horrible stomach ache yesterday, it lasted about 10 hours and I did occur to me that it might be leakage what I'm sucking and not saliva.  Has anyone had leakeage draining down to the mouth?
Does it ever stop?

Cheryl R

Re: Is there Leakeage draining down the mouth, like saliva?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »
I would doubt it is a leak.    The odds are with that there would be a drip out the nose.      Try the test where you have your head bent over between your knees or 3-5 minutes and look for a drip like a faucet.                  If you were leaking enough to be down the mouth then would imagine you'd be having a severe headache.      Also a salty taste if from that way.         My leak was the nose drip and had no other symptoms.               Call and ask your dr what they think about the excess saliva.     
                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:58:04 am »
I'm with Cheryl - although I'm not a nurse (or a doctor).

Chances are your stomach ache is related to some medication you are on post op. 

However, if you continue to have problems, definitely call your doctor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »
I agree that if you're unsure it's probably best to check with your doc. Sorry about the stomach ache!

As for the feeling in your throat, I know for me I had a feeling like I had a lot of saliva going back of my throat (and also worried about a possible leak) the first few weeks postop, when my swallowing wasn't great. When my swallowing improved it seemed to go away, though.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

ilsemor

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:40:47 pm »
Thanks, I called my doctor and he wasn't in, I spoke to somebody else.  He said it probably wasn't leakage because there's no headache or fever.  I mentioned if it could be that my glands are now making up for all the saliva I didn't have for the last four months, but it's strange how my mouth still gets dry.  It's like excess saliva but still dryness on the AN side.
If it's not one thing is another.  My boss said, "one more thing, wow and the doctors didn't tell you about that?"  I do feel there was a lot that could have gone wrong but not my face.  I more expected balance issues and I didn't get that. 
But life is still good, I got my job, my children and my friends which now include all of you too.
This is the one place I can come and feel understood about my face, my saliva, my eye, my lips and all the AN side effecs.
Thank you to all for taking the time to read this forum.
God bless you all!

ilsemor

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:25:38 pm »
Hello again - For your information, me, wanting to find out more than what the assisting doctor told me from House, not Slattery.  I found out in following internet page that my condition is not that uncommon.  It's just that this doctor wasn't even aware of it.   
The strange thing is that this happened to me 4 months later not right after surgery.  I encourage you to read this since we're all in this business of AN, it's educational.
TASTE DISTURBANCE AND MOUTH DRYNESS OR EXCESSIVE SALIVATION

http://www.toledoent.com/acoustic_neuroma.htm

So, my wish is that this will go away, just like the metallic taste went away after about a month.  I also have stopped taking the zinc to see if it helps.  I  have also read that if you're taking zinc daily, you should do 20 ml. not 50.  I might have overdose my zinc with 50 + whatever my multi-vitamin has.  50 ml is good when fighting an infection.

Let's hope this is the last late side effect I've to deal with.

Ilsemor

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:09:00 pm »
Ilsemor ~ 

Excessive salivation is not common, but as your research shows, it does occur, post-op.  No fun.  I hope , for your sake, that this complication will soon disappear.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 03:02:37 am »
Thanks for the info Islemor. 

Metallic mouth and dry mouth seem to be very common symptoms of AN surgery (lots of us on the Forum experienced them) but excessive salivation doesn't seem to occur as often.  It's good to know that this isn't as strange as I originally thought.  I guess I learn something new every day  :)

Hope the problem goes away soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways