Author Topic: Docs in Vegas?  (Read 4560 times)

JHager

Docs in Vegas?
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:07:56 pm »
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping that Doctors do not fall under the "What happens here, stays here" mantra that is Las Vegas.

Due to logistic impossibilities, (and because I liked my neurotologist) I'm staying here for surgery.  It'll be at Sunrise Hospital.

Anyone have any experience with AN surgery in Vegas?

For that matter, have any of you ever visited here actually left with more money than you arrived with?  ;)

(If not, thanks for contributing to the local economy!)

As always, thanks for the encouragement, information, and support!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

SuzeAN

Re: Docs in Vegas?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:35:00 pm »
Hi Josh, I live here in Vegas and have recently been diagnosed with a 2.5cm acoustic schwannoma.  I have seen Dr Matthew Ng and he has referred me to Dr Jon Anson (Western Regional Brain & Spine Surgery Center)...both have offices in the building in the parking lot area of Sunrise Hospital.  However, I have actually decided to look elsewhere for treatment, having read that when considering surgery for this condition...you want a surgeon who has plenty of experience with AN's; there are many facilities in neighboring states (AZ & CA) that I felt more comfortable with when considering microsurgery or radiosurgery.   (I believe Dr. Ng said he sees about one AN case a month.)  However, that is just a personal choice.  As of now I am looking into Cyberknife at Barrows in Phoenix. 

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

antoinette

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 06:18:36 am »
I did leave with more money I had brought in. And I had a dental surgery there too, Very snappy and great in all details. Great place!
ant

JHager

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 07:44:37 am »
Ant,

Okay, leaving with more money than you came in with is not healthy to the local economy.  Please make sure to return soon and lose those winnings!  ;D

Seriously, glad it was a good visit.  I'm going in for translab surgery on November 7, and couldn't be happier with my medical team.  It's sort of funny - for all the folks here in Vegas, I've only run across two, including myself, who have an AN.  I'm sure there's more out there, I just haven't heard from them.  It would be nice to start some sort of support group.  You know, gather 'round the Texas Hold 'em table and lament.  Ha!

Have a good one!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

jw

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 06:57:55 pm »
Sounds like the makings of CSI: Las Vegas.  They could do a feature on acoustic neuroma.  Incidentally, I read a report about a movie star (can't remember his name) who, according to the report "missed filming because of a minor operation to remove a cyst in his ear, called an acoustic neuroma".  I believe they used the Q-Labarynthe procedure involving a penlight and a Q-Tip.  Did you know that Bram, from Sharon, Lois & Bram had AN surgery and has a BAHA?
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:25:52 pm »
The actor with an AN was Mark Ruffalo, most recently in Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon.  If you get the ANA newsletter, he's actually donated some money to the ANA - what a good egg!  He was also, I remember now, was the detective in Collatoral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx.  Good flick.

By the way, Just Like Heaven is actually quite a good movie.  A lot of people would call it a "Chick Flick"; my wife and I really enjoyed it - it was funny!

So, we have famous company!

Josh

jw

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 07:56:27 am »
Yes, Josh.  That was the name!  I think that the description was an attempt at minimizing things by a publicity agent.   I saw Collatoral.  I didn't see Just Like Heaven.  Will have to rent that one.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

SuzeAN

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:37:24 pm »
A pen light and a Q-tip, cyst???? Is that what Mark Ruffalo's press release reads on his AN?  That's minimizing the situation for sure!  I have also read that some Country music star John Michael Montgomery has an AN too, don't know if he has had surgery or radiosurgery on this.

Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

sirialison

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 03:00:14 pm »
Okay - I am so sorry but I just had to get my pennies in on this one! In our home, Mark Ruffalo is known as "acoustic neuroma guy'! Our favorite is "13 Going on 30" - mostly because like, my sister and I so, like relate to the junior high stuff  (ack!- she, my sister, also did the "Thriller" thing - I swear I did not!) Watch oh so closely and  you will see, just ever so slightly, a tiny little bit of residual facial paralysis. I am finding myself watching movies Ruffalo is in just to see that! It' sort of like a little inside secret! Haven't seen the latest and only recently discovered he was in "Eternal Sunshine of the..."(whatever it is - I don't care for Jim Carrey). Trivia, trivia - Ruffalo was supposed to have the Joquin Phoenix part in "Signs" but didn't do it because he was going to have surgery.

Sorry - that was a bit more than 2 cents but I couldn' t help myself!!!! ;D
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

jw

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 03:44:03 pm »
A pen light and a Q-tip, cyst????

I believe this is the article I noticed, on a website talking about the movie Signs:

"8/30/01 - Mark Ruffalo had been cast as the second lead, but has had to drop out due to an ear operation to remove an inner ear cyst"

This is obviously done by someone who knows nothing about AN.  I wondered if it might be from some press guy trying to minimize the health risk to show that the actor is still able to act?  The "pen light and Q-tip" was my addition - a sarcastic remark about how the statement above really trivializes it.  I have great resepect for everyone that has gone through AN treatment.  I'm only suspected as having AN and don't have a diagnosis yet.  Reading what everyone has gone through has helped me understand this.  I believe Mark Ruffalo has been pretty active himself in AN education and has made some sizeable donations for AN research.

If you're aware of the group Sharon, Lois & Bram (for those of us with kids), Bram had an acoustic neuroma and currently has a BAHA.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.