Author Topic: AN & Chiari I Malformation?  (Read 7477 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Re: AN & Chiari I Malformation?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:13:21 am »
Thanks for the well wishes and sweet words about my baby.  I'll post pictures of my brood over in the other topic, thanks Steve!

There really isn't much more to say about the ACM.  I guess I was just wondering if anyone else was dealing with it and if its a big deal.  I'm definitely going to mention it to my neuro when I meet with him pre-op.  Thanks Phyl! 

Dawn, I have all those exact same symptoms and I just thought I was weird, not that there was a "condition".  I've pretty much become accustomed to it and know what triggers the headaches.  I now stay away from bowling and volleyball and when I watch the 4th of July fireworks I don't sit *under* them so I'm not looking straight up in the sky, that is a killer.  Or I lay on the ground and watch them and thats pretty cool.  Ahem, anyway, I always wondered why my eyes were so sensitive to bright lights and now I know.  I totally know what you mean about yelling and screaming, I almost passed out at a Jazz basketball game for the same reason, ha ha. 
I found a great list of ways to keep it at bay:
http://www.pressenter.com/~wacma/bhm-list.htm
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:29 am »
Phyl, I kind of like the idea of having a Chiari I discussion on the forum, I don't know much about it and like finding out what it is. Separated from baby pictures, of course.

Steve (* quickly donning his moderator hat *)

*readjusts newly-knitted moderator hat* :)

Move entire to AN Community for baby pics, Chiari talk (not keep in AN "Inquiries)? 

Steve and anissa, if you are fine with moving this entire thread to AN Community to keep it going, pls advise... (Steve, if yes, go for it!) :)

*heads out for lunch hour*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 08:26:27 pm »
Okay, did that. I am still waiting for Anissa to post a big picture of the little birthday girl, though. :)

So CM sounds like your whole skull is loose, or something. Brain slippage? Yikes.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:41 am »
Thanks for moving this post.  The OP really did relate to an AN regarding the surgery but it went away from there.  I got my answer and I appreciate that.  :)  As requested I posted pictures of my baby and my family in the "friends" thread.  :) 

I guess I don't know enough about the ACM to really talk about it.  From what I gather mine drops down quite a bit but since I don't have a ton of symptoms (or chronic painful symptoms) there really isn't much to do about it.  I am interested to see what the neurosurgeon says though. 
Anissa
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 04:40:17 am »
looks good folks... thanks Steve for moving.

anissa, one thing I will guide you on regarding the CM1 and upcoming AN surgery....... you need to inquire to the neurosurgeon about the positioning of your head during the surgery. As we know, with AN surgeries, some can be for quite a bit of time and with the slippage, you will need to know how your head will be positioned.  Someone pointed this out to me when I was researching my AN surgical options and I also mentioned it to my Chiari NS .....

As for the baby, so.... how did we celebrate the big day?  First bday cakes are usually quite fun! :) Was it a messy one? Piccies? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 03:36:17 pm »
OH wow, I found this posting when searching the Chiari I malformation that shows up on my MRI too (along with my AN).   

Well, no one has said anything about it to me.....I'm gonna make a phone call tomorrow!  My biggest 'fear' with my upcoming AN surgery is the neck 'aches', pains that I get.  Hmmmmmm, they sound exactly what yours all do.  ?????

Phyl, I think I WILL be messaging you.

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 06:07:14 pm »
Denise, my neurosurgeon positioned me on my side for the entire surgery because of the CM.  I had to deal with some pressure sores on my left side because of it but it was cake compared to what the neck aches would have been.  I'm glad you found this thread!  Wasn't it lovely to receive two diagoses for the price of one??   ::)  I hope all goes well with your surgery and keep me posted on how they handle the CM, I'm interested in knowing!
Anissa
Anissa

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 05:58:16 am »
got the PM... and tickled anissa chimed in.  :)

Phyl