Author Topic: AN & Chiari I Malformation?  (Read 7479 times)

anissa

• My Journey
AN & Chiari I Malformation?
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:29 pm »
When I was diagnosed with AN I was also shown to have a Chiari I Malformation of 19mm.  I mentioned it to my neurotologist but it he said it was no big deal and not to worry about it.  I'll mention it again to my neurologist and neurotologist in my pre-op appointments.  Is it a big deal?

In case you don't know, Chiari I Malformation (ACM) is a condition where the opening in the base of my skull is larger than it needs to be so my brain stem falls below where it should.  I don't have many symptoms other than the power headaches and right now I can't be sure where those are coming from, the AN, the ACM, or this darn cold.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cindyj

Re: AN & Chiari I Malformation?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02:15 pm »
Hi, Anissa - sorry to hear about your further diagnosis of the Chiari I, but you are in good company here, as our very own Phyl has this also.  I'm sure she'll be along soon to offer her wisdom in this regard. 

Best to you - hope you can get some relief from your headaches,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »
Anissa,

The headaches are probably caused by a combination of the three!  The cold should be gone soon, the AN pretty soon too, and the Chiari - well if the doctor says it nothing to worry about, I'd probably trust him on that.  Like Cindy mentioned, we happen to have a resident expert as a moderator here, so I know Phyl will be able to help you out.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:40 pm »
someone call me name? ;)

Hi anissa,

Yes, a guilty one here as well... a nice head combo diagnosis.  I know of one other on this site (Tampa Tim as I lovingly call him) who, last year, had surgery on his AN and Chiari simultaneously...  Raydean, a site user, has a daughter with Chiari as well (but no AN.... her husband had the AN).

My cerebellum slip is not as much as your's (and your's is also deemed mild).  The headaches can be excrutiating but over the years, I've learned to deal with them as they crop up.

Great when I get a head MRI... a true "BOGO" (Buy One, Get One) as my docs can view the AN and my Chiari to see how I"m doing.

Last month, had my follow up with my neurosurgeon (a NS should really follow the Chiari) to see how mine is. I am symptomatic of my Chiari but not overly. Some extremity weakness, the migraines, balance, etc. As you note, sometimes its difficult to figure out which is causing the issues. I can tell my Chiari migraines as they are localized to my occipital area of my head (top of neck area).

If your CM1 is currently at 19mm, please make sure to find a terrific NS in your area to follow up.  CM1 (or CM in general) is very rare (not like AN's, huh? :) ) and not many NS really know how to handle them.  You will need to be monitored to make sure the cerebellum slippage doesn't go any further. 

A terrific website for CM1 is:

http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/patient_e/chiari1.asp

It fully outlines exactly what it is, treatments, symptoms, etc.

I can share that I still live a terrific, full life and we monitor it to see how its doing. I hope it continues to stay mild for you.

I am more than happy to discuss in PM (so we keep the posts here for AN)... my inbox is open.

this reminds me to get hold of Tampa Tim... baseball season is in full season again.

Hang in there anissa.  Having and AN and CM1 does make us more rare than usual.... cuz we're speshal :) Remember that!

Phyl

P.S. Alka Seltzer Plus works great on colds! :) Feel better!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Dawn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »
Hi, I was reading your posts and saw the Chiari I Malformation....I too have that mine is it is 5mm extended below the foramen magnum.......but never looked into it as the doctors didn't seem all that concerned about it and more about the AN..which may now be a Lipoma....I looked up what the Chiari I is and didn't know about it at all!!

My original symptoms were sudden "bouts" of extreme pressure in my head from the back to the left side that felt like a head rush where my head was about to explode...they would last only a few seconds and happened only when straining...such as yelling, cheering, talking over loud sounds and the Valsalva maneuver.  This went on for years until last Nov it happened when I was at the NY Ranger Game and they tied it up with 1 min left and I jumped out of my seat cheering and yelling I had one of these attacks but I almost passed out and it lasted for 15 mins and everyday since then I have headaches and balance problems....so all this led me to the MRI and the AN diagnosis...guess I should have looked all this up earlier....now I really feel like a mess....lol

So being it is "borderline" I guess nothing is done about these malformations?

My medical background is improving every day...lol

Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 04:55:32 pm »
[...]

cuz we're speshal :) Remember that!

Phyl

You don't know how right you are here!  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 05:07:27 pm »
[...]

cuz we're speshal :) Remember that!

Phyl

You don't know how right you are here!  :)

Regards,
Brian

I'm feeling that more and more each day! 
Anissa
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »
Anissa,

I like the new pic, and the wee little urchin. :)

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »
That's my baby, its her first b-day today.   ;D
Anissa

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:19 am »
That's my baby, its her first b-day today.   ;D

Hmm... (looking side to side and behind for the forum police)...nobody in site, good!

Happy Birthday Anissa's one year old!

What do you mean off topic?  Steve started it!  I swear!!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:04 am »
Anissa~
I have a March 11th baby too!!  My YOUNGEST just turned 6 yesterday!  I can't even believe it!  Happy days...

K  ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:53:58 am »
Hmm... (looking side to side and behind for the forum police)...nobody in site, good!

*A-HEM!*

Aren't you suppose to be recuperating or sumptin'? ;) :)

Back to topic folks... and if possible, we can take the Chiari dicussion in PM/emails. Seems that there are a few of us "speshal" folks here.

Back on topic all...

(and happy 1st bday anissa-baby-cutie-patootie!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:02 am »
.....Lori runs in.....wishes Anissa's 1 year old little girl a belated happy birthday  (she's adorable!)....drops halo on her way out to slow down the forum SWAT team....and escapes to safety....Phew... that was close.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 09:38:16 am »
*cracks whip at dropped halo* :)

so, is the discussion of AN and Chiari done here or do you all have further to share here on the topic?   Any info I have regarding CM1 I am more than happy to share and the inbox is open (where the whip is tucked aside.....).

Thanks.
Phyl

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:00 am »
Anissa, I'm sure Cheri would be pleased if you posted the pic of you and the little one in the Pictures of Friends topic in AN Community. Then we can all gush and coo to our hearts content.

Phyl, I kind of like the idea of having a Chiari I discussion on the forum, I don't know much about it and like finding out what it is. Separated from baby pictures, of course.

Steve (* quickly donning his moderator hat *)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.