Author Topic: Family member support  (Read 10437 times)

Robquinn9

Family member support
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:24:14 am »
My wife is to undergo a rt side AN removel, retrosigmoid on 3-13-06.  Drs. Payner and House will be operating here in Indianapolis at St. Vincent's Hospital.  The tumor is 2.8 cm x 2.5 cm.  Hearing loss is almost certain we understand and the big concern is the facial nerve preservation.

Wondering if anyone out there has a) had an experience with these doctors or b) knows of any resources out there for family member support, etc.

We're, of course, anxious/scared but also hopeful that we can resume a normal life again.

Thanks in advance.
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

Boppie

Re: Family member support
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:53:45 pm »
Hi Rob, is this your name? 
My own translab was in mid December.  Many of us have spouces who went through surgery experiences with us.  So, we could probably help your family member posters who need support. 

My husband and I were close together through the whole experience; he told me often how he felt about it all.  So maybe I can fill you in, if you want to post me personally or right here on this board, either way.  I am practically full recovery now and have positive things to say and encourage.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 04:11:21 pm »
HI Rob and welcome to you and your wife.

I'm sending good wishes to you all for the upcoming procedure. There are many posts here on this dicussion board about the House Clinic, many that share their experiences and thoughts.  If you can take a moment to read through, you should be able to find a wealth of information. 

Please send your wife hugs and good wishes from me.  Just remember, "this, too, shall pass...."

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Robquinn9

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:46:59 pm »
Boppie,

Please feel free to share.  I shared this site with my wife last night ( I was somewhat hesitant) and she felt good about what she was able to read.  It helps so much to have a forum like this.

Rob
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:27:11 pm »
Rob and Wife,  Look in the F.A.Q. threads.  Kate Besserman has a thread there on What to take to the hospital.  This is an excellent reference. Another thread that is interesting is Is there life after An?  If you'd like a complete run down of what it is like to go into the OR, write back and I'll post a personal message to your wife.  I'll post a note with my own email.

You don't have long to wait so this is good!  God Bless you and your wife.  I will check back to see what else I can share with you before surgery day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:19:16 pm by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 06:52:07 pm »
Dear Rob and wife (what is your wife's name?)
  This has been a great source of comfort for me and hope you two can find the same.  We do care about everyone on here and will answer any and all questions! 

Here's wishing your wife a speedy recovery!

Michelle

Robquinn9

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:04:17 pm »
My wife's name is Amy.

I'd truly appreciate the personal message.

Thanks to all!!

matti

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:30:38 pm »
Hi Rob and Amy - welcome to the family! This is an absolutely wonderful place to come to, whether you are looking for information, support, inspiration and yes, even humor.

I had my AN surgery almost 8 years ago and I could not have done it without the support from my husband. He was/is truely amazing.

Sometimes we forget about our family members that are on this AN journey with us and that they also need alot of support.

Amy may go through a range of emotions for a time after surgery. If you read some of the threads on here, you will find that it is completely normal.

You will resume a normal life again, just know that it could be a little different than before. My husband and I have had to make a few adjustments to our "new" normal. I ended up losing the hearing on my left side and my balance is off at times. He is very sensitive to the fact that I can not hear and as I say, he is not only my better half, but my better ear. We have found through trial and error what places  (stores, restraunts, etc..) are worse for my hearing and which are better. The only thing I can say I really don't join him on anymore are some of the movies (action) that we used to go to. Again it is a hearing issue and well, I am more of a romantic movie girl anyway  :)

I think you are awesome for coming to the forum and please know that your wife will be just fine. There is life after AN, and a dang good one at that!!!

You  are both in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us posted!

Take care,
matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 08:06:09 pm »
Well said matti...

All the best to you and Amy!

Tell Amy she can now officially join our silly but fun loving cruise!  It will be a good read to lift her spirits!

Robquinn9

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 08:00:50 pm »
I am happy to report that Amy had a great day in surgery.  In a 6 hour retrosigmoid procedure, her 2.5 x 2.8 right side AN was 100 % removed or as the docs say "what we could see."  Facial nerve was unharmed and responsive.  Rt side hearing loss is probable however this nerve is intact as well.  She is doing as well as can be expected after going through this surgery. 

I cannot say enough about the support we received here and from family/freinds.

Also, my hat is off to Dr. Troy Payner & Dr. Jerry House, the surgeons today.  They truly worked some magic.

Now, onto recovery!

shoegirl

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 08:07:28 pm »
Rob and Amy,

Glad to hear that everything went well today!  I hope her recovery is quick and easy (if that is possible).  I wish you both all the best and hope you will keep us updated on Amy's progress!

Best Wishes, Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 06:16:39 pm »
Such happy happy news warms my heart...

Tell Amy she can now officially join our unoffical cruise since she can sail with flying colors!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:44:03 pm »
Rob & Amy,

Glad to hear that recovery is on the way. Amy, you may take a few days to get back into normal rythim for things like walking, balance etc but a very positive outcome.

Amy, Just a note of caution, before you joine "The cruise", beware, these gals are whacky. be prepared to laugh all day and night.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 09:27:10 pm »
*sneaks up behind Larry and slaps him silly!* :D
we are NOT wacky... um... are we? ;)

Oh, Rob/Amy, this is terrific news! So thrilled that things went well today! Rob, please share with Amy that the nuts of ANA forum boards (ok, ok, I'll only speak for myself) send her lots of hugs and wishes for a VERY speedy recovery!  She in my thoughts and prayers, as are you, Rob and your family.

Phyllis

Rob & Amy,

Glad to hear that recovery is on the way. Amy, you may take a few days to get back into normal rythim for things like walking, balance etc but a very positive outcome.

Amy, Just a note of caution, before you joine "The cruise", beware, these gals are whacky. be prepared to laugh all day and night.

Larry

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 09:55:29 pm »
Rob and Amy-
So glad things went well with the surgery.  Facial nerve OK is grrreat news.  Not all of us are that lucky...
Keep us posted on our progress---we'll wait till Amy feels better before we cast off for the great voyage with all the nutcases!
Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW