Author Topic: AN Celebration idea  (Read 9970 times)

jw

Re: AN Celebration idea
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 09:40:54 am »
Maybe we should compile a list of bad ears.  That way, you don't put a lefty and a righty together, and they can't hear anything!  Instead of 'smoking' and 'non-smoking', we'll arrange by "Are you left eared or right eared?".  BAHAs can go in the center of the table!  That's very nice of you to offer to put this thing together, Josh, and paying for everyone's flights is really appreciated!  Can we meet the people on CSI Vegas?

Nickel and penny slots can be deceiving, though.  If you bet 90 credits on a nickel slot, you're wagering $4.50 per spin.  And there are penny slots with maximum bet of 1,000 credits!  Of course, you don't have to bet max, but a 20-line nickel machine costs a buck per spin, at 1 credit per line. 

I'm confused about Thanksgiving, though.  It was a couple of weeks ago.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

rntiggergirl

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 01:53:06 pm »
I would be interested!! I live in California so I'm not far away.
Cheryl

kristin

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 02:42:44 pm »
RIGHT ON! :) this sounds like fun! i'll start saving my nickels today!
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

kristin

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 02:47:34 pm »
jw you cracked me up! baha's in the middle! :) it's kind of like putting left handed people on the corner of the table! i'm not quite sure on the thanksgiving thing though? are you in canada maybe?

i say lets go for march. march is a really good time to get out of montana!

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

jw

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 08:21:53 pm »
Hey, Kristin.

Yes, Canada.  We celebrate Thanksgiving before you, because we have so much more to be thankful for!  Like wonderful neighbours to the South, and an extra vowel in most words, like colour.  March is a good time to get out of here as well.  Never been to Montana, although I do have a friend in LV who used to live there.  Coincidence?
Since Josh hasn't offered any dissent to paying for everyone's flights (we did give him almost 12 hours!), I guess he's in agreement!  Yeah, Josh!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

shoegirl

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 12:41:38 am »
I am the new girl! I live in Phoenix and would definitely be interested pending a treatment date! That is of course if you all will have me.   ;D

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

JHager

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 03:45:07 pm »
Hey everyone,

(Especially John - sandbagger!  ;D )

Cool - I'm glad for the enthusiasm.  Let's make this happen.

About the free airfare... if the docs accidentally drill the wrong side of my head, I'll pay for everyone out of the settlement money.  Until then - let's all just win the airfare at the tables and machines! ;)

Sorry for the delay in posting - busy weekend.  This coming Thursday is my last day, so I'm getting 9 weeks worth of lesson plans together for my sub.  It's a little tough finding someone who can teach Physics and doesn't have anything better to do than spend 9 weeks substituting - so everything has to be VERY detailed.

Hope everyone's doing as well as can be!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

jw

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 07:05:42 pm »
Oh, sorry, Josh, I guess that I misunderstood you!  ::)  I looked at the old message and you didn't offer to pay for everyone's flight.  You just said that you would cover mine.  Sorry, folks!  :D

Your day is fast approaching, Thursday is the last day of work and then 1 1/2 weeks until the big day, when you evict your house-guest.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

lynndlk

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 07:15:31 pm »
Do I understand that you are trying to get a group of us AN people together in VEGAS or ATLANTIC CITY for a party!
I've been to Atlantic City But never been to vegas. I'm told I have a niece that dances out there in Veses)
I think it would be a hoot. A convention full of of people that will hear only half of what you say, and half of what you mean, and still get it all done. Tell me when & where it will be (and for how long) and  if I can get time off work. I'll be there
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 03:40:36 pm by lynndlk »

julieteresa

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 09:42:15 am »
what a great idea!  my surgery was eighteen months ago, but i still love showing off my scars!  please let me know know the details.  thanks!
4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz

jw

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 05:27:19 pm »
Hmm, if I don't have an AN, I guess that I could just come to the same restaurant and sit at another table?  But, I am almost deaf in one ear.  I wouldn't be able to hear what you were talking about.  Mind you, for that matter, half of you wouldn't be able to, either.  I suggest an "honourary AN" for those of us who don't make the cut.  Err, no pun intended.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 08:51:46 am »
Let's really screw 'em up - we'll request menus in braille, then pretend we can't hear the explanations!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

jw

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 07:59:39 pm »
Reminds me of my trip to Vegas this fall.  When I booked my airline tickets online, they had a drop-down box for special needs.  I clicked on it to see what it said (like, I need a foot rub during the flight) and one was "Hard of Hearing".  I though, "Hey, I am hard of hearing, I wonder what they do for that?", so I selected that.  On the way down to Vegas, no mention was made.  On the way back, checking in at the desk at McCarran, the girl whispered something to me.  I couldn't hear her so I said "Pardon?".  She said "I asked if you were hard of hearing.  It says here you are."  I wondered what she did that for.  Whisper to a person who is hard of hearing to see?  It's not like I got a discount for it.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 10:29:39 pm »
John,

Could have been worse - they could have given you double headphones, you know, so you could play the movie REALLY LOUD!!

On the flip side, maybe you could ask for extra drinks, or peanuts.  Heck, even a free pass to the bathroom when there's a line.

As for the whispering, no shock there.  I actually got into once with a customer (previous job), who insisted on asking inane questions while facing the wrong direction.  About the third time I asked him to repeat himself, he got mad and demanded 'What are you, DEAF?'  If I could only recall exactly how I smiled at him in that moment - I'm sure it's a look that would freeze my students dead in their tracks - I've never, before or since, caused someone to go pale like that.  ;D

Seriously, John and the rest of the gang, we have to get together and party - this crowd's too cool to keep apart!

Talk to you soon!

Josh

rntiggergirl

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 12:39:32 pm »
Hey-
What happened to the Las Vegas get together????   

Cheryl