Author Topic: AN Celebration idea  (Read 9972 times)

JHager

AN Celebration idea
« on: October 15, 2005, 10:56:35 am »
Hey all,

All you 'regulars' have probably figured out a life in Vegas, and it seems that quite a few of you have been here.  (And donated to the local economy - thanks!)

I know ANA hosts official conferences each year, but I was wondering this: How about an unofficial AN Patients celebration party?  I have just enough connections here to put together a fun weekend.

Anybody interested in Vegas weekend as a way to meet, greet, eat, play, celebrate, and support each other?  I am officially volunteering my services to put such a trip together!

And remember: What happens in Vegas, we probably won't hear clearly anyway, so it doesn't really matter!   ;D

Just an idea, but it seems to me we have group of people who know the joy of just being alive.  I think it would be a great way to share that joy!

Please let me know what you think!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

debora

Re: AN Celebration idea
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 11:54:22 am »
Josh,

Great Idea,  count me in, it would be nice to visit with others in the same boat.  Can you imagine all of us staggering around?  Ha ha.    Deb

matti

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 02:17:29 pm »
Great idea Josh!!!!  The seating arrangement at dinner might be a tad difficult, depending on where our deaf side is. LOL!

I would love to meet all of you and thank you in person for the tremendous help you have given during my AN journey. Plus, I was just in Vegas 2 weeks ago and I left something there...my money! Please keep me away from Video Poker.

Thanks Josh.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

JHager

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:08:44 pm »
Alright, that's the spirit!

I'll do some checking and see how many we'd need for a group discount, etc. etc.

Plus, we'll have to find a really LOUD show.  LOL!  Actually, I know the percussionist from Mama Mia - anyone up for that?

Keep the names coming!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 06:14:13 pm »
I live in Phoenix, so I'm not that far. But I don't actually have an AN, mines a bit lower and I have normal hearing and balance, am I still invited?  ;D
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

JHager

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 12:22:26 pm »
Hey, the invite is open to everybody - the more, the merrier!

Josh

okiesandy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 03:05:03 pm »
Finally,

something to celebrate. I have left a lot for the local economy. I still think I could find it. That is sort of like the dream where you don't have an AN.

sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

jw

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 08:58:31 pm »
I'm in!  In fact, I just got back from LV late September.  Unfortunately, I didn't contribute to your local economy.  I hit it lucky at the MGM Grand and walked away with $1,585.55 from a quarter machine.  I generally don't play the slots too much, but decided to try some new ones out that night.  And, man, what's up with all those nice folks handing out the cards and flyers up and down the strip?  The first time I saw them I didn't know what they were up to, so I took the card.  You learn real quick to ignore them!

I may join you as a fellow AN  ???, or as an honorary friend  ???, but either way, count me in!  Until I have my Membership Requisition Investigation, I won't know for sure.  Apparently the MRI interview involves me laying down while they look into my head to see if I belong in this distinguished group.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:09:06 am »
Oh this would be wonderful but not sure I can make it. Financial problems may make it impossible for me. How about a picture site for those that can make to share with those who cant? I would love to see you all having fun together. Who knows, maybe I will get a miracle and make it afterall.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

sdinapoli

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 11:28:14 am »
I would love to be part of this BUT due to location, finances and family I would have to decline this year but if anyone starts mentioning Atlantic City New Jersey then count me in. Take Care!

JHager

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 01:09:36 pm »
Hey, everyone!

I don't even have a specific timeframe in mind.  I'm heading in for surgery in three weeks, so my ability to coordinate this will be hampered for a while.

I guess we'd be looking at late spring or so - prices tend to drop a bit as the temperature goes up.  I'll do some more research in January and start posting some dates and prices.

If you're at all interested, please post a quick reply - the more numbers I can bring to the table, even if their 'maybes', the better deal I can get.

Thanks!

Josh

jw

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 05:29:22 pm »
Yeah, Josh, please try to get this minor inconvenience of BRAIN SURGERY out of the way so that we can come down and have some fun!  Do you really have to wait until January?  Why not take a laptop to the hospital with you?  We expect some figures by November 8th.  Just kidding, of course!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

okiesandy

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 02:53:30 pm »
Hey Josh,

I think you came up with a great idea. I was supposed to have translab. Nov 8 at House. cancelled and I am really doing research on CK now. I always like to keep the economy moving. Add one more to your list.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

kristin

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 09:32:02 pm »
pick me! pick me! i really do think that would be fun! can i invite the folks on the yahoo! group? i've never been to vegas and even though i'm a wimpy gambler (i'm into the nickel slots!) i'll do my best to donate my money to your town! :)

kristin

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

JHager

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 08:36:36 am »
Hey, invite EVERYBODY!  Even those yahoos at, well, Yahoo!

Kristin - nickel slots are actually big money nowadays, considering that there are $1 million dollar penny slots!

Okay, I can feel the momentum building on this.  Here's how I see it:

I'll have surgery November 7.  Once I'm starting to feel better (which better be by Thanksgiving - I don't miss turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin cheesecake for anything!  ;) ), I will start researching prices/dates/etc.  Then I'll post that info here and we can start narrowing down our options.

Hanging in Vegas will be a blast, although I'm still looking for a restaurant where everyone can sit with one ear to a wall.   ;D

Hope everyone is doing well - keep the enthusiasm going!

Josh