Author Topic: Too good to be true?  (Read 3872 times)

clr

Too good to be true?
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:45:26 pm »
Ok, so Betsy's cyberknife treatments were done at the end of October. She has felt absolutely no symptoms of any kind.

To all of you that have had cyberknife, is this too good to be true? Are there symptoms that can pop-up further down the road?  In other words, what can we expect?

I sure to wish I had found this site at the very beginning. I didn't find this place until 6 months too late!!

Thanks,
Cindy

I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Too good to be true?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »
Cindy -

I didn't have radiation, I chose surgery, but during my decision-making process I was told that side-effects of radiation sometimes take 12 to 18 months to appear.

Those who had radiation can tell you for sure, but she may encounter some symptoms down the road.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »
I would think that an acoustic neuroma that had been operated on multiple times would be less likely to give symptoms. It should be pretty tuckered out by now. Seriously, removing blood supply by surgery first should make swelling less likely.

I had a small AN, and my main bout of swelling pressure was about 3 months after treatment. Sometimes people experience it later, and with a larger AN it can last a while. I would not be surprised if Betsy doesn't experience much, given the previous surgery that has been done.

You never know, but I would not worry about it. If something happens at all, it will most likely be a mild effect.

Happy New Year to Betsy!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Mark

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:29:17 pm »
You may have no symptoms at all, but there can be post radiation treatment reactions of the tumor and nerves for up to 12-18 months. Generally the longer you go without something the more likely the reactions will be milder, but typically I think most folks have some thing occur within the first six months, usually some temporary balance / vertigo scenario related to swelling of the AN or irritation of the cranial nerves

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:55:31 pm »
I had proton beam not cyberknife but I felt fine for a month and the worst symptoms didn't show for about 6 months. Then it went down the tubes. Hope Betsy has a better experience.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

mk

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:55 am »
I had GK, but the potential symptoms can be the same. I have been very fortunate that I didn't experience any adverse reactions, so in my case it was truly "too good to be true".

I would tend to agree with Steve, that generally symptoms shouldn't be  intense when radiosurgery follows microsurgical removal.

For a very objective and detailed account of possible side effects and the entire progression after CK treatment I suggest that you visit Lorenzo's (fbarbera on the forum) website - you will find the link in his signature.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:20:18 pm »
For a very objective and detailed account of possible side effects and the entire progression after CK treatment I suggest that you visit Lorenzo's (fbarbera on the forum) website - you will find the link in his signature.

Actually Lorenzo's user name is "Lorenzo".  I think Marianna means Francesco (fbarbera) who had CK  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 02:35:04 pm »
Oops sorry  :-[  . At least I did remember his user name.

Thanks for pointing this out Jan.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Anomar11

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:52:56 pm »
Hi

I had CK 11/08.  No significant symptoms until 4 months - vertigo, then persistent balance symptoms of varying degrees.  At 6 months started having facial spasms.  My 12 month MRI does show some swelling but with necrosis.  I'm actually starting to feel better now.  Less days of wonky head and facial spasms are markedly improved.  I almost wonder if it isn't actually coming down in size a bit as the MRI is a snapshot in time.  They usually say symptoms can appear 3-18 months out, but I've read of some folks having them earlier and later than that.  I didn't think I had balance symptoms prior to diagnosis, but in hindsight, there were several instances over about 3 years where I became very nauseous, thought it was hormones or low blood sugar.  In some instances, I'd throw up, think I had a "bug", lie down for a while, then be fine.  I'd think to myself, that it must have been a mild case as I never had any diarrhea as one usually has in combination with a g.i. bug.  In hindsight, I'm quite sure it was that brain booger.  When asked at diagnosis if I had any balance issues though I said no.  Hopefully I will continue to progressively get better in the wonky head area.  It's certainly possible that Betsy will have no symptoms, but it is a waiting game.   
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

clr

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:19:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!! Now, we do have an idea of what can be expected.

Thanks again,
Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back