Author Topic: off the subject  (Read 6619 times)

thecakes

off the subject
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:39:57 am »
   Any suggestions.  My lovely daughter will graduate from collage with a 4 year degree in communications.  She shares an appartment with 5 other girls who also will be gratuating this spring.  They are going to all go their seperate ways, but know one knows what or wear they'll be going.  But theres no way they can afford to stay on their own.  God forbid, if she'll have to move back in this "terribable" home.  It would be thelast straw for her.{and us, I love her but the house is allways clean now}.  The only thing aI can think of is rally the troups{HSfriends} maybe they to need a place to stay.  What do you think?

matti

Re: off the subject
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:49:04 am »
Cakes - My son will also be graduating from college.  For the past four years he has had his own apartment (at our expense) and all is well. He has informed me that he may be receiving a job offer closer to home (mine!!!!) and that he might want to move back home for a while.  OK! I am thrilled about the job offer and I love my son with all my heart, but the coming back home has me nervous. As it is now, when he does come to visit, he is used to his way of living and doing things and of course, my way sucks and it is boring here! When he left for college I was a basket case for months and had a hard time letting go. I've let go!

My youngest who still lives at home will be transferring to a four year college in August and well you get the picture, my house would stay clean ALL the time and  I won't have to figure out what the heck to cook for dinner every night. My husband is easy going, if we had ice cream for dinner that would be fine with him.

Anyway, I know what you are feeling and I thank you for letting me rant.

I feel like I am a horrible mom, I'm really not, I'm just a tired mom.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 09:52:51 am »
At least you got yours off to college, mine just informed me he didn't want to go away to college but live at home while going to college  UGH...I was so looking forward to the empty nest syndrome  lol  I'm one of 7 kids and once we left home we were not really welcomed back.  My parents said they'd rather pay for our rent on an apt than to have to put up with us as adults  lol.  They might have been on to something.  I moved back for 3 days and it was enough to convince me (I had moved back to fl from tx and my house wasnt' vacated).  No one thinks your a bad parent but it is hard to say no isnt' it?

Static

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 03:26:44 pm »
Oh, the college woes.  My oldest daughter is heading off to college after she graduates this June and she turned down a $3,000 scholarship to a local school so she could live away from home on campus.  Really, the kid does have it made here and I don't know how she'll get along away on her own but  it will probably do her good. The biggest thing that is bothering me is that she passed up $3,000!  I told her that she better start applying for student loans to pay for her stubbornness, then sh e tells me that after she finishes  her first 4 years, she's going on to Princeton for her masters!  By then, I'll   be putting my youngest in college.  My dear husband doesn't want to deal with any of this, he says, send her where she wants to go, but he isn't the one figuring out how to pay for all this either!   I think I'll just go hide in a closet for the next 10 years or so until it's  all over! lol  Good luck to anyone out there with college bound or graduating or any kids for that matter.  I love mine, but sometimes I just have to run away for awhile  or so or I will completely  lose my sanity!  Maybe I'll build a padded room in my basement.  ;)
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 03:39:43 pm »
I'd build the padded room in someone else's basement...that way they can't find you   ;D
I did the prepaid college plan so my son is stuck going to school in the state or he knows he better have a full ride somewhere else.  Unf. he took that to mean he had to stay at home   ::)

Static

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:47:16 pm »
My daughter is plannng on going to a state school, but the local school would be a commute situation (a campus of Penn State) and either way, the price is the same, except for the fact that Penn State was giving her $3,000!  I think she should hav e to pay for the decision.  We decided she would go to whichever school gave her the most $ but then decided she had to be away from home so the local commute thing is out of the question.  LIke I said, if she wants to turn downt h e $3,000, s he needs to come up with it on her own some how!  Last time I checked, the money tree in my back yard wasn't in bloom and hasn't been for years.  The idea for the padded room somewhere else sounds like a plan.............Hey, maybe I can make a chain of padded room escapes, who wants in? LOL
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 03:48:34 pm »
Heck, hand 'em $200 each, kiss them on the forehead and just say "well, hun, welcome to the real world... now git!"
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 03:51:57 pm »
There are days I could use a padded room with nice comfy things and NO STRESS!  Yeah I agree if shes big enough to turn down the money because she wants to be on her own she should be big enough to pay for it.  If you're money tree starts blooming can you send me a branch? 

matti

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 04:34:36 pm »
I don't remember my parents having to do so much for my brother and I. I do believe it was very close to what Phyl has suggested.

No matter what I do for my boys, they always need more. I long for the day when I can walk into a mall and not have to worry about what everyone else needs and just take care of me. But dang it, I signed my life away the day I gave birth and my personal issue mall card was revoked (lol)

The padded room sounds like shangri la. I am envisioning what mine would look like...

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

thecakes

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 06:56:25 pm »
    A padded room???? sounds like a plan.  It seems like we all have or had the same problems.  Life was simpler when I was in school.  Now days they have to go to Myrtle Beach when they graduate from HS.  When I graduated we went to Cedar Point for the day.  {Amusment park 50 miles away)

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 10:08:43 pm »
I was so looking forward last june to an adventure to cedar point...I didn't make it which turned out to be a blessing in disguise..maybe I'll tell my son when he graduates from high school he'll have to take me on a trip  lol  Somehow I think he'll put in me in the padded room   :D

Static

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 08:02:45 am »
The thing in our area, is to go away for a week somewhere.  In my time, the big trip was to the Jersey shore (about an hour away) but I couldn't afford it.  Around where I live now, kids go all over the world for "their week".  My daughter wants to go to the jersey shore (about 2 hrs drive from here) but I told her she had to pay for it and she is but looks to me for everything else because she "can't afford it because she is paying for senior week".  Looks like she backed herself into a corner and guess who she looks to bail her out.  I guess they are spoiled a bit, I do as much as I can for them, I wanted to give them the things I always wanted but couldn't have.  Now I'm really paying for it! I wish that tree would come into bloom and yes batty, I'll remember you if it does!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 11:21:19 am »
Here used to be a trip to daytona beach for spring break but now it's mexico.  I had my gp curb my son's desire which was very kind of him  lol  he had a patient who's parents took him and three of his best friends to mexico...well the parent (don't know if it was mom or dad) bought them a hooker and one of the kids now has aids.  Sad sad sad...made my son not want to go to mexico for spring break which saves me lots of money and anguish...now if I can only convince him to move out after graduation lol

shake shake shake...shake that money tree...Just got off the phone with social security disability after two hours needed a little humor! :P

thecakes

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 11:55:32 am »
   Batty, he got aids? thats horrible.  I wander what his parents have to say about that.  It sounds to me the parent is to blame for this, since he or she bought the hooker.  You can't expect the kid{with raging hormones}to say no.  What a nitemare.  OH and good luck with the SS Disibility.  I'm on disibility and its a life saver.  I'm always wandering when they are going to take this away from me.  They told me in 3 years I'm up for review but nothings happened yet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 12:50:39 pm »
shake shake shake...shake that money tree...Just got off the phone with social security disability after two hours needed a little humor! :P

dang, quit that shaken darlin'...... I don't think my head can take it! ;)

xooxoxoxoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"