Author Topic: the stupidist thing people said....  (Read 37577 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: the stupidist thing people said....
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2006, 12:20:25 pm »
G-Mom, that is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!  Let me know how it works out! :)

...and you are right about the inspiring folks here... I second that! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:36 pm »
BP, you'd have fun babysitting, they live in Barcelona, Spain! 

Did you get a cut of the 10K?
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 03:09:57 pm »
My son would absolutey dig that...his 3 years of spanish could be put to use!

10K?  what 10K? 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2006, 03:32:09 pm »
$10,000? If that is the case and you are getting a cut of it... you can treat us to the ice cream that my very dear, lovely, SO, cheeky bloke Iain told you about.. the little snitch! ;)

10K?  what 10K? 
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Karla83401

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2006, 04:38:51 pm »
Good Afternoon Everyone!

Well I survived statistics once again!!! The dirty house and bills can wait while I have a cup of coffee. I am like Batty in the fact the stats is kind of fun. I have an A in the class but there are times that I come home and wonder what the professor just talked about. Matti, you are more than welcome to contact me for help when you hit stats....it is really funny to have your children help you through classes at school. My 17 year old does that quite abit and never lets me forget. I don't know how old you are but I attend school in the early 70s in Alaska so many of the things that I am learning in college are new to me. Most of my classes have been thought provoking and I love going to school. I would tell anyone looking at going back to college to relax and enjoy the experience. Us non-traditional students bring a very interesting element to the class room.

Thank you all for the kind words about admiring Batty and myself. It has been a real boost to my daily struggles knowing that Batty is out there and that she has made it this far and so can I. As I tell my children life is 10% of what life gives you and 90% of what you do with it.

The coffee is done and the dirty house awaits so I will bid you all so long and will check back later.

Karla

diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

matti

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2006, 05:04:35 pm »
Hi Karla - I am heading back to school at the age of 49. Didn't quite finish in the 1970"s and now that my kids are grown, I owe it myself. Thanks for offer on Stats, I just might be calling.

I acutally have that motto posted in my office and on my fridge " Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% your reaction to it". My Weight Watcher leader uses it alot as well.

My husband travels to ALaska for business quite often. He has to visit Anchorage, Kodiak and Dutch Harbor. I may go with him sometime this year, hopefully summer, I could not take the winter months. I need sunshine.

take care
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2006, 06:34:38 pm »
I think its great when people try to better themselves especially after years of different activity. My wife was a shorthand typist (on a typewriter, pre kids, 17 years later decided to go back to work but missed the computer boat, where you ya Capt Deb? anyway, she went to course after course, did voluntary work to start with and then got herself a good job. Whilst not the Bill gates of this world, she can handle herself around the P.C and thats been great for her.

My hat is off to you guys.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2006, 11:02:45 pm »
Oh I know what 10K you're talking about now and NO I didn't get a penny of it.  I did get a lot of extra credit for the class and passed with an A...and at the time it was more important than the 10K  lol  I was in school with my husband terminal with cancer and my son sick from one really ever figured it out he just sorta outgrew it. 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2006, 10:01:29 am »
That's the 10K....sorry, I was out last night with something I ate that didn't agree with me.  Slept the evening away with my friend the heating pad, and slept through Lost.  Luckily, I have a TIVO! 

I'm still a little slow today....catch up with everyone later.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2006, 10:25:19 am »
I hope you saw shirtless Sawyer last night, Mom!  OOOOHHH-OOOHHH-OOOHHH!  Where's my phone booth?!  AI Caramba!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2006, 12:04:23 pm »
He's safely stored away in my TIVO!   :-*

He looks very nice shirtless!!!! 

Karla83401

« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2006, 04:58:14 pm »
Okay, last night I went to a play that my 12 year old is in. I started the night feeling pretty darn good but by the time it was over I felt it was time to plan my funeral. Several people came up to me and asked how I was doing. This is a very common thing in this community. I told people that I was doing "well", because frankly I feel I am doing well. All but three of the people said, "No you're not. You can be honest with me. I know you have a brain tumor." I would then attempt to explain that while yes I do have a tumor the long-term outlook is really quite good. All of them treated me like I was dying. It made me feel horrible. I know that their hearts were in the right place because they are all super people. All in all it was a great lesson for me in empathy. I will be much more aware of what I say and how I say it to people who are facing a tough time.

Enough venting for me,

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area

Mark

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2006, 06:06:27 pm »
There is no question that the term "brain tumor" evokes a lot of emotion and fear in folks. I know many folks think it's just semantics but the reality is that none of us has a brain tumor. We don't, at no time will an AN ever invade or metasize into the brain. As it gets bigger it will certainly push on the brain, but it simply is not a brain tumor.

I tell people I had a skull based lesion on the 8th cranial nerve. It may sound silly but when you eliminate the words "brain" and "tumor" you get a whole other reaction. In some cases, it is a glazed over look of some
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Mark

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2006, 06:24:57 pm »
If the Skull based lesion answer doesn't work for some , try I had a wart on the nerve going to my ear removed   ;D

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Karla83401

« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2006, 07:09:13 pm »
Hey Mark,

I love the wart idea better than the lesion one.....but I must admit your answer throughly confused me because both of my doctors called it a brain tumor and the majority of the sites where I did research called it a brain tumor. Even the Havard Medical website listed it as a brain tumor. It really does not matter though, the whole thing just adds to my sense of confusion.

But maybe I will start using the wart thing because that one cracks me up. That being said I do realize where the people were coming from and in spite of feeling somewhat like planning my funeral, I was also touched by the love and support that was offered. The whole thing did make me more aware of thinking before I speak to people facing difficult times.

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area