General Category > Hearing Issues

New BAHA Recipient in South Carolina

<< < (3/4) > >>

alabamajane:
Jason,
I don't remember how long it was right after surgery for implant ,,,however, mine will still get a little tender occasionally if I am not conscientious about cleaning area. I have also had to use a q-tip of alcohol to clean area when I feel it getting inflamed a little. Not often. My point is, it is natural I believe for it to be a little tender occasionally,,,,especially if skin does not adhere to post well.

I have not had a case of infection though.
Sounds like you are healing well,,,
Jane

Theham:
I figured I would post a follow up for those interested.  It took a few weeks but the soreness and swelling finally went away on its own.  There were a few frustrating nights where I wanted to sleep facing one direction but could not due to the soreness of the implant site - regardless of the softness of the pillow I attempted to use.  Fast forward a month and change later, it pretty much makes no difference which side I sleep on. 

I am still a few weeks away from receiving the sound processor but all in all, the process has been exactly as advertised.  I surprisingly have gotten fewer odd looks and questions about the visible abutment than I was expecting.  I have made a kind of game of it - pretend to absentmindedly itch my head near the implant to see what kind of funny look I can trigger on folks. 

Anyway, looking forward to getting the sound processor and moving along with the process of learning to hear with the new device.

--
Jason

Theham:
I was finally issued the Baha 5 Power sound processor so far things are functioning as expected.  I am not sure how initial experiences for other folks have been but so far, sound processed through the sound processor sounds quite a bit like I am in a tunnel but then sounds from my hearing ear are what I would describe as normal.  I've been told that this is pretty common as users acclimate to using these types of systems.  I am guessing that as I have the programming refined that my user experience will improve. 

The one big thing I noted is that when I pair it with my iphone that it hijacks all the audio output and routes it to my BAHA.  So when I plugged my phone in to listen to a bit of music through my car stereo unexpectedly I only heard it through the BAHA device I happened to be wearing (trying to use the device as much as I can to acclimate to its use).  I briefly turned off the sound processor (pop'ed open the battery door) to then have the sound process through my car stereo.  I should have expected this but it is one of the unexpected side effects of pairing my phone and sound processor.  I am sure that as I use the two in tandem more that there are going to be other similar interesting things that pop up.

Final brief note - I was also given a mini mic when I picked up the sound processor that I have not attempted to use yet.  I am sure at some point I will give that device a test drive too.  For now, I am taking the time to let my mind wrap itself around using just the sound processor alone. 

Anyway - I hope everyone reading this thread finds themselves in fair winds and following seas.

--
Jason

alabamajane:
Jason,,
Congrats on getting your processor and better hearing!

I too have had similar experiences learning to use mine. I just got my upgrade in June. This power5 is a whole new experience from my 4 ,,, I have much to learn and I'm not that good with devices in general  ::)

I have not used my mini mic either. Just haven't been in a situation to need it.
I think once we use the processor and get used to the features it will get better. I'm confident your audiologist can program your processor to your needs.

Good luck to you,,,,
Jane

Theham:
Has anyone ever had an issue with their abutment where the screw worked loose......  I am now waiting on an appointment with the medical team to get it checked out.  I just hope I don't somehow loose the screw - thankfully I've got that plastic cosmetic button cap deal to keep it covered.  This thing is WELL affixed to my head so it seems only the tiny screw is loose.

Anyway part of the adventure....

--
Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version