General Category > Hearing Issues

New BAHA Recipient in South Carolina

<< < (2/4) > >>

EricC:

--- Quote from: Theham on May 31, 2017, 03:01:36 pm ---
I only wish I could find the motivation to exercise that much regularly - well done on your part!

--- End quote ---

I live next to an inter-urban bike trail that goes through Seattle.  Traffic is awful and a leisure bike ride is faster than cars on the freeway.  Might as well make use of that time instead of polluting up the city.  I'm really not that in shape, but when you bike 2hrs a day you can eat donuts everyday as well :)

Sleeping is my favorite now.  I roll over on my good side and I go dark for the night.  I love the quiet.  Good luck with the checkup!  I've got 64 days until "snap day". 

Theham:
I just got out.  I was told they used a 14mm abutment - I didn't think Cochlear had that as an option unless it was the 4mm implant with an attached 10mm abutment.  Regardless I am bandage free but still tender like I have a nasty bruise.   I was given the all clear to take a shower like I usually do.

I long ago learned to sleep on my good ear.  Appears to be a very common habit.  At one point I lived in a super cheap area next to an industrial/commercial rail yard mostly used for shippers goods.  It never bothered me even a little. 

I'm scheduled to have the sound processor activated middle of September.  The time will go by quick enough.

I still haven't been provided any aftercare items from the team I am working with.  I got good directions but that was it.  I expect that when I get the unit activated that I'll receive the full care package that accompanies the sound processor.

As far as adjusting to it - I fully expect a lot of work is going to go into learning to use the device which is why I was asking if folks who have active sound processors have had any kind of follow up therapy to help you learn to hear.

--
Jason

alabamajane:
Jason,
No therapy just put it on and wear it as much as possible so your brain gets used to hearing on that side again. You may have to return to audiologist for adjustments from time to time early on. I have never encountered anyone on here who was referred for any type of hearing therpy I don't believe. Besides wearing it religiously and patience,, that's all I know.
Good luck,

Theham:
That is kind of what I was expecting.  I do have a good friend of my family who is a speech pathologist who works with children who are fitted with BAHA and CI devices.  I will have to see if she has any suggestions too.

Hoping the soreness and residual swelling goes away quickly.

Theham:
How long do folks typically experience a sense of tenderness around the implant site following their BAHA implant?  I have been getting progressively better and the healing process has been going pretty well for me, but it still feels like I have a good bruise surrounding the implant site and it is mildly tender to the touch.  I will note that my doctor says this is very normal and should clear up on its own - though every individual heals at a slightly different rate.  I was told to continue to keep it clean (lifetime directions) and to monitor the site for the next week, schedule an appointment immediately if the tenderness gets worse and not better (possible sign of infection I guess).  It is not warm to the touch nor red in color, just a little tender still. 

Anyway - figured I'd ask the folks who have first hand experience with the receiving end of a BAHA implant.     Thanks again

--
Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version