Author Topic: 3 years Post-op-Life IS Beautiful!  (Read 4775 times)

kborsick

• Stay positive, and be patient with your body
3 years Post-op-Life IS Beautiful!
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:20 pm »
I've visited this site a few times since my surgery.  It has been a little over 3 years since I had my 4cm AN removed.  I was only 26 and in my 2nd year of teaching when I was finally diagnosed.  I chose the Cleveland Clinic to perform my surgery and couldn't have made a better choice!  I'm very happy and lucky.  I did not have the "normal" symptoms of AN patients.  In fact, my only symptom was the headache.  That's why I went undiagnosed for so long.  I was living and surviving everyday with a "walnut" in my head.  It wasn't until the headaches turned to vomiting, did my family doctor began to look into other possibilities.  I finally requested to be seen by an ENT doctor and he immediately did an MRI and discovered that I had a 4 cm AN protruding from my left ear canal and down my brain stem.  He immediately gave me a list of doctors who specialize in this field.  I did my research!  Because my AN was so large, I was given ALL the  post-op possibilities.  After my first surgery to remove the tumor, I develop a blood clot and swelling on the brain, which sent me back into surgery.  I spent a little over one week in Intensive Care, a week in recovery and then shipped to a rehabilitation hospital to begin physical therapy, because I was paralyzed on my left side.  While staying in the second hospital in Sandusky, OH, I began my therapy to regain strength, coordination, and function of my left side.  I re-learned to walk and function using both sides of my body.  Thank God for Physical Therapist.  :)  I remained in that hospital for about 2 weeks and was released home under the care of my family and out-patient therapist. 
Let me tell you that at age 26, you don't prepare yourself to have to re-learn things that you've taken for granted basically your whole life.  And, the act  of "being healthy" doesn't necessarily prevent you from developing what "is meant to be"...  But, a healthy mind can change the course of anything!
I continued out-patient therapy for another 2 months and after about 5 months I was back to running a mile a day, taking care of myself, and getting back into the swing of things.  I returned to teaching and coaching, in September.
I continue to overcome the hearing loss and partial facial paralysis from surgery, but it's manageable.  I'm now going into my 6th year of teaching and am almost 100%.  My left hand in basketball isn't like it was, but I'm also not as young as I once was---so, I just call it "even".  :)
I want to open my story and adventure with AN's to anyone who may be struggling with the diagnosis, surgery, post-op, and/or recovery.  I know that I had MANY questions and feelings that were unanswered and unknown and I was VERY scared.  I was also the youngest person diagnosed with AN at the clinic, so I didn't feel like I related to current/previous patients. 
I hope this helps at least one person.  Life is Beautiful!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:27:33 pm by Jim Scott »
3.8 cm-left ear
removal 2/16/05 at age 26-Cleveland Clinic
loss of hearing/ partial facial paralysis
only symptom was headache (migraine-like)

Chambo

Re: 3 years Post-op-Life IS Beatiful!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:47 pm »
Congrats!!

I am 2 years post op (anniversary was only a couple of days ago - 28 June) and most likely of similar age. I was 27 when diagnosed in 2006; same size AN as yours and same place/side.

So glad to hear a success story such as yours - well played!! And I'm with you on the post-op life is beautiful thing...
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:24:42 pm »
Hi!
I was 25 and also teaching!  I think we had almost identical stories, but they did not put me into therapy for well over a month post-op and I think this has made a LOT of difference!  I was a PE teacher and had played sports my whole life.  I can still teach and demonstrate but will never be able to play anything again (besides golf & I don't count the whiffs!! LOL!!).  I work out everyday (OK - that is kind of a falsehood right now as I am trying to get back into the swing of going to the gym after my recent T3 surgery and complications!) and have an INCREDIBLE life!!  It has been 12.5 years now!  Check out my blog:  www.threecurlygirlies.blogspot.com

Glad everything turned out so well for you and now you are ready to give back!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:56:15 pm »
Hi, Kborsick:

Thank you for sharing your dramatic and moving real-life story with us and congratulations on surmounting the challenges you faced due to an Acoustic Neuroma.  I'm sure some newly diagnosed AN patients will benefit from your account as well as be inspired by your indomitable spirit that brought you back to full function and a relatively normal life. 

I wish you a continued Beautiful Life.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »
Hi Kborsick-

Thanks for taking time to share your inspirational story! 

Debbi

Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »
hey "life is beautiful"...

thanks for sharing your story and positive energry.

I am 39 and just 1 month post surgery (no big problems, but many of the typical face/eye issues) and appreciate hearing good news from you and all those who have responded.

Thanks and keep well !

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 02:39:45 pm »
Hey Kborsick,

thank you for sharing your AN story. I was as young as you were when diagnosed and I know that positive attitude always helps. I was also the youngest patient in the Clinic but that did  not make me feel weak!!

I have already survived two AN surgeries and now I am strongly considering the idea of having my third surgery (cause the first two were only partial) to be performed abroad, not in my home country (as the first two) - I am from Bulgaria!

I was unable to walk during my first days after the surgeries but now I am doing good and I am going to work!  :)

I believe I have to struggle and do my best all the time!!

I know all the bad consequences that may happen but I must GO ON!!

That is what all here must do even in moments of uncertainty and fear!!!

Best wishes to all!!
Hrissy

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:31:56 pm »
Hi kborsick,  nice to meet you.   Boy, you sure did have to go thru it !      I was 50 when I had my AN surgery,
I can't imagine having had done it at 26 !
I too believe life is beautiful ! !   

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:45:49 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 08:57:52 pm »
My daughter is also three years post op and she is 19... she was two weeks short of her 16th birthday when she had her surgery.

Today she is a student at the University of WA, doing really good!  (yes, she has hearing loss, her tumor was large) but visually, her face is totally normal, she can wear her contacts all day, no problem, even though one eye can't produce tears, her balance is good enough for her to do a few gymnastic moves...(ok...not the balance beam but how does a back flip sound?)  This summer she is a server at a fun upscale restaurant, rushing around, balancing those trays of food with ease...and collecting some great tips ;)

She's cute, she's smart, (her mom and dad are proud of her)... so yep...3 years Post-op-Life IS Beautiful!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: 3 years Post-op-Life IS Beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 08:01:43 pm »
Hey Kborsick,
I am also being treated at the Cleveland Clinic. Who did your surgery?  At any rate, your story gives me great hope. I've just begun the journey.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: 3 years Post-op-Life IS Beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:30:44 pm »
I want to tag onto Nancy's comment by saying that I have SO much admiration for those of you who dealt with this in your 20's!  i was/am 52, and have often wondered how well I would have coped with this 20 or 30 years ago.  You guys really amaze me and may I just say ... You Rock!

Debbi, never too late to have role models...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com