Author Topic: New to the Group  (Read 2745 times)

Mico

New to the Group
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:56:42 am »
Hello Everyone,
I stumbled upon this forum a couple of weeks ago.  I've been reading the posts and they have been very helpful.  My problems, compared to some of yours, seem minor, so I guess I'm lucky.

I began experiencing tinnitus about 4 years ago.  About 6 months ago, the volume increased and I decided to have it rechecked.  My doctor order an MRI and there it was.  Although I was originally diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma, my second opinion doctor informed me I have a Jugular Foramen Schwannoma.  Other than the tinnitus and the feeling of constant pressure in my ear, I don't have any symptoms.  Although everytime I sneeze or feel a pain in my knee I'm convinced it is caused by the tumor. 

I have experienced some of the same emotions everyone else has as I learned from reading your posts; initial shock, disbelief, self-pity, anger, and acceptance. 

With input from my family, I decided to have surgery.  I wanted to have the surgery this December, but my doctors were booked this month.  Because of some other events in my life, actually my children's lives, I decided to put the surgery off until next summer.  My doctor reminded me that waiting is a viable option.  I prefer to have the surgery sooner rather than later because I'm as young and as healthy as I'm ever going to be.   

I will continue to read your posts, as I find comfort in  reading them.  I look forward to having surgery and putting this chapter in my life behind me.

Mico

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New to the Group
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
Hi, Mico ~

Welcome - and thanks for your kind words.   :) 

I'm very pleased to learn that the ANA website forums have been helpful to you - as that is their purpose.  I'm going to assume that your tumor is relatively small if you are planning to delay removal surgery for at least six months and your doctor approves.  You may work up some anxiety as The Big Day draws closer but you seem to have gone through all the usual emotions already and I'm confident you'll be able to deal with the impending surgery without too much angst.

Please stay connected here and feel free to ask a question, seek advice or simply 'vent', if and when that ever becomes necessary.  Meanwhile, know that you are hardly alone in this.  Many have gone through the removal surgery just fine and were able to move on with their lives.  I did - and I'm sure you will, too.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:04:31 pm »
Hi,

Welcome, please keep up posted on your upcoming surgery and continue to read info on this forum, you'll find that I is very helpful.

Best wishes,

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:10 pm »
Hi, Mico and welcome to the Forum.

Something you said in your post concerns me a little bit.  You mention that you decided on surgery "with input" from your family.

Not to knock your family - or anyone else's - but before you actually have your surgery make sure that it's a choice you are absolutely 100% comfortable with and a decision that you would have made without input from your family (spouse, parents, kids, etc). 

AN treatment is a very personal choice - one size does not fit all - and while it's a tough choice to make it's your tumor, your head, and your life.  Although others are well-meaning and have your best interests at heart, ultimately it's you who should be making this choice.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways