Author Topic: Got my MRI done today...  (Read 8413 times)

bambi81

Got my MRI done today...
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:22:05 pm »
I went in and got my MRI done today.  Did anyone feel weird after they inserted the dye?  My right arm is heavy and tingles and I feel at tad "slow".  The guy that did it was really nice, but I wish he could have told me the results.  Waiting is driving me nuts.  He said "no news is good news" until I hear from my doctor.   It made me feel better, but then I got to wondering if he knew, but was just trying to lift my spirts.  I live in Kansas City, anyone on here live around here and/or know og a good surgeon??

Whitney

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Got my MRI done today...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:39:21 pm »
Hi Whitney,

I didn't have any reaction to the dye when I had mine done, but I know some people do.  That said, it sounds more like an issue with the injection itself, perhaps hitting a nerve.  If it continues, you may want to check with a doctor.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

bambi81

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »
Thanks Ernie,

Sounds like you just had your operation, how are things coming along for you?

joebloggs

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:41:51 pm »
Just read and replied your other post and then saw this one, glad to hear you got your MRI done - they didn't tell me anything either - irritating isn't it?!  I didn't have a reaction to the dye either - it was really cold going in though.  Like Ernie - I'd probably check with a doc just to make sure all is well - sounds like could be an injection issue, but best to make sure eh?

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

bambi81

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:09:45 pm »
The wierd feeling went away after awhile.  Glad I didn't see the needle, I had a washcloth over my eyes.  It took FOREVER to get all of the dye in me!!  I should know Friday, Monday at the latest.  I'll let you all know what I find out!!! Thanks for the support!!

EJTampa

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:31 am »
Thanks Ernie,

Sounds like you just had your operation, how are things coming along for you?

Hi again Whitney,

I had my AN removed 3 weeks ago today!  Happy Anniversary to me! :)  Actually, I'm doing quite well.  My recovery was easier than most.  If not for some post-op swelling (which steroids handled nicely), I would have been off all meds in a week.  I still lose my balance when turning my head from side to side or up and down, but the brain is compensating slowly but surely :).

How are you holding up with the waiting?  I had my MRI on September 30th of 2008.  I picked up my films a couple of days later and the report was inside.  I refused to look at it, but my wife is a nurse so she couldn't help herself.  That was a heart sinking feeling for me.  I didn't even know what a vestibular schwannoma was (another name for the AN).  When I went back to the ENT he said he was hoping he was wrong, but that I had a tumor in my head that would eventulally require some action.  The rest is history.

I did ignore the tumor for quite some time.  I had a wedding cruise to go on the first week of January, so I had already decided not to do anything til then.  The nice thing about most AN's is that they grow so slowly.  You have time to research and get multiple opinions.

I hope your MRI comes up clean so you don't have to endure any of the treatment options out there, but if not, you are in the best place in the world for information, support, and prayers.

Boy, I ramble.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:01:43 am »
They do know.  At my first MRI, the techs wouldn't look at me as I left.  Since my docs said they were sure I didn't have an AN because they are very rare, I was sure, too.  It was a week after 9/11, and I'm claustrophobic, so my biggest concern was that there would be some news flash, and they'd take off and leave me in that Tube O' Gloom forever.
At a subsequent MRI after years with the same tech, he actually told me that it hadn't grown, but don't tell anyone I told you.  So, they definitely see the tumor if it's there.  They are sworn to secrecy, however, uh, well, except unless if . . .
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:40:06 am »
Hello Whitney,
I've had contrast that felt like it came out of the refrigerator and it fells like they are pressing ice water into your viens. It is a cool tinggling feeling that rushes through your arm.  I had one tech. tell me that they try to warm it up to almost body temp. before the give it to you but it isn't always warmed up when they inject it.  Good Luck I'm sure your MRI will be clear.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

lori67

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:53 am »
I'm pretty sure the MRI place I go to keeps their dye in the freezer too!  Brrrrrr....  But I'm willing to deal with that for a few seconds to get a nice 45 minute nap!

The MRI techs do know if there's something obvious, like a glowing golf ball, on your scan, but they're not allowed to tell you.  Unfortunately, most of them have a terrible poker face, and I know when I had my first one, I knew right away something was not right.

But, like he told you, no news is good news until you hear otherwise, so try to relax until you get a chance to talk to your doctor about the results.  I know, easier said than done.  But, worrying about it isn't going to make it go away in the next few days, if, in fact, there's a glowing golf ball on your scan too.

Let's hope all they find is a brain in there!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

EJTampa

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:28:56 am »
Let's hope all they find is a brain in there!   ;)

Lori

There was supposed to be a brain in there?  No wonder the surgeon said the AN was a non issue when it came to my brain functions :).

Ernie

bambi81

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 10:03:58 am »
Yeah, he definitley didn't have a good poker face.  He was so nice and joking around with me before the MRI, then when I was done, he was different.  It could be my imagination, but I guess it's better to be prepared to get bad news then going in expecting good news and getting bad news.  I am pretty sure I have an AN, I just feel odd things on the right side of my head.  If it's not AN then there is definitley something going on that is not normal....... ???

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 11:34:09 am »
Whitney, I hope you get some answers soon, waiting is so hard.  My story is similar to yours, 4 months of hearing loss, fullness, etc. My ENT also thought it was nerve damage, so sure that he ordered the MRI (because I told him I was afraid i had a tumor) and told me he'd call me with the results and "see you in a month".  Boy was he surprised.  Oddly I was not.  :(  And funny you say that about the MRI tech, she was a lot more "careful" with me after the MRI and told me "good luck".  I should have seen the writing on the wall.  If there is anything in your head that shouldn't be there, then I hope its the smallest, easily treatable thing possible. 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 02:28:30 pm »
I live in Kansas City, anyone on here live around here and/or know og a good surgeon??

Obviously you should wait for your results before looking for a surgeon, but a surgeon may or may not be necessary.

If you do have an AN, and it's small to medium size, radiation is an option as well as surgery.  It's a personal choice based on many factors, but that's another story for another day  :)

Let us know what your MRI results show.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 08:16:42 am »
Hi Whitney,
Welcome. I started having hearing problems about a year ago. I went to my doctor off and on, but took my time (kept thinking my hearing would just come back after whatever was up was over). Anyway, in the fall, I made an appt with an ENT; that's when he said I needed the MRI with the ink that starts with "G" that i can't spell. I tried to ask my tech as well if he 'saw anything' and he replied, 'I don't read them; that's up to your doctor.' I figured he might of known something but wasn't going to say anything. I think ? i actually left with the films and we looked at them as a family - totally clueless, of course. We ended up just looking at the pictures trying to figure out which 'animal' they looked like (kind of like when you look up at the clouds and see shapes.
I think i had my follow up about a week later and my doc told me about the AN then. I had never heard of an AN. I came home googled it, found this site, and have been on it ever since ! (i had translab 8 weeks ago).
Nice to meet you!
Let us know what you found out.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

microsoftfree

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:22:41 pm »
I didn't even feel my contrast going in, so she must have warmed it up exactly right. Hang in there! We will probably both get our results about a day apart as mine was the day after yours. Fingers crossed!