Author Topic: Shocking Good News!!  (Read 18415 times)

tgillesp

Re: Shocking Good News!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »
Thanks all.  I will be sticking around, probably just lurking, the way I started before I started asking questions.  I want to keep up with everyone's stories & successes.  I did want to ask though...I am still planning to send my films to House.  I feel with one dr saying I have an AN and another saying I don't, a third opinion wouldn't hurt.  Even though I believe I'd trust Dr. Chang more than my doctor, I'd just rather have 2 in agreement.  Can anyone tell me where or who to send to at House?  Do I just get the address from the website and send it or should it be addressed to any doctor in particular?  Should I call first and ask if I can send it?
diagnosis 8/25/2010 5mm acoustic neuroma...second opinion by Dr. Chang says I have no tumor!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »
http://www.houseearclinic.com/pro_acousticneuroma.htm

See one of the light gray boxes near the top righthand corner of the screen.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 07:38:59 pm »
I so wish I was YOU right now. haha.  :)

I would pay out of my own pocket if I had too and get another MRI. With contrast. Not sure if its true. But my ENT said that a MRA will show a tumor really well.

About $700 average here in Fort Worth and found a place with a 10 year old MRI machine for $400. But I rather have a newer MRI machine.

There is also the so called 3Tesla MRI's with better resolution that hospitals use. Was quoted $2300 here in Fort Worth. And I had to have a special need to get it.

If one Doctor says you have a AN and another says you don't. Get a newer better MRI if you can. Don't back down. Get a new scan. So you can compare the two. Also those computer CDs suck compared to the film.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

nanramone

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:15:14 pm »
My MRIs were $4000 each - the insurance company paid less than that, but the hospital people told me if a person has no insurance - that's what they pay. I wonder why so high here in Indiana?

Funnydream

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »
My MRIs were $4000 each - the insurance company paid less than that, but the hospital people told me if a person has no insurance - that's what they pay. I wonder why so high here in Indiana?

Isn't that state over regulated? Try getting out the phone book and look up MRI. Then go down that list and call em all and ask them. Ask them price for insurance and cash carry.

I just got out the phone book counted 18 companies in Fort Worth alone. That's not including hospitals.
The company I ended up with charged $745 and is not even in the phone book. Because my general doctor wanted me to go their and then they had a 4 year old machine. I gave my general doctor a hard time after wards and got my blood work bill reduced.

Sorry about highjacking your thread.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:57:32 pm by Funnydream »
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 09:52:49 am »
My annual MRI w/gadolinium is typically $4,500 to $5,000

Of course when the insurance company discounts it they pay a lot less - somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,800 I think.

My MRIs are done with fat suppression - since I have fat in my head from the AN surgery - and the machine is very new.

While saving money is great, make sure that you get a good, quality MRI with the best machine you can find.  If you don't, your doc may request that you get a new one and in the end you'll be paying even more.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tgillesp

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:24 am »
Here is what my MRI report says:
Technique:  Multiplanar, multi-sequence pre and post contrast images were obtained through the IAC's.

LEFT:  At the level of the opening of the IAC, there is a 5mm oblong focus of signal abnormality which is hypointense on TI weighted images and lies between the facial nerve and vestibulocochlear nerve.  Post contrast images demonstrate mild enhancement of the small focus of soft tissue suggesting a small or early acoustic schwannoma.  Adjacent to this focus of signal abnormality runs a tortuous left anteroinferior cerebellar artery.  My ENT read the report, looked at me and said, "looks like you have a tumor" and then proceeded to tell me how he would recommend surgery over any other option.  

I was never shown my MRI by the dr.  I came home looked up MRI films online and searched pics that showed tumors.  Then I went to radiology and obtained copies of my MRI myself and compared.  This one of my images I compared and thought this might be the one showing the tumor (hope this link works)

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/tgillesp1/MRI.jpg

Of course I don't really know what I'm looking for, and I know most of you won't either.  So my biggest question is if that blob is not a tumor then what is it?  And now that I have Dr. Chang saying I have no mass, I'm back to square one on what is causing my hearing loss and tinnitus.  So anyway, I have a followup with my ENT on Tuesday and I am going to ask him to refer me to a neurotologist because I have so many unanswered questions.  My hearing aides (Siemans OTC) are not doing as well as I need them.  My biggest problem is speech recognition.  I can hear noise (especially background), so teaching in a classroom environment is killing me.  The hearing aides amplify all the noise to a headache level everyday and make tinnitus worse, and I'm still having to ask students to repeat themselves over and over.  I didn't want an AN, but at least I felt I finally had a cause.  So I do still hope Dr. Chang is correct, and I will find out soon from House.  However, I would still like to address my hearing situation and try to get help for that.  If I can't find some help, then I just can't see myself continuing as a teacher in a noisy classroom for much longer.

Jan, I've joined Cochlear community and have been reading, but I don't see where any of the implants would be helpful to me yet since I'm not SSD.  Do you know if there are any other solutions to improving my hearing situation or anything I should ask the neurotologist about?

Thanks
diagnosis 8/25/2010 5mm acoustic neuroma...second opinion by Dr. Chang says I have no tumor!!!

Funnydream

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 10:41:56 am »
I think your totally on the right track. Keep at it. Till your satisfied.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm

tgillesp

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 10:55:56 am »
Thanks.  I see your surgery is in just 3 days!  I'll be saying prayers for you and I wish you all the best for a good outcome and speedy recovery.  I know you will be glad when it is out!  Can't wait to hear back from you after.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 10:59:12 am »
Tracey -

you don't have to be SSD for a BAHA.  But whether or not you'd be eligible for one depends on the level of hearing in your "bad" ear.  Docs evaluate potential candidates on a case by case basis.  You would have to ask your neurotologist - if he implants BAHAs or is familiar with them - if one would work for you.

If your doc doesn't know enough about BAHAs to answer your questions, you'll find docs in your area who implant BAHAs on www.cochlearamericas.com under "Find a Clinic". 

BAHAs are different from conventional hearing aids in the fact that they don't just amplify sound, they work through bone conduction. 

Your other option might be a TransEar, but I'm fairly sure you'd have to be SSD.

If you have an audiologist, you might want to ask him/her your options.

Good luck,

Jan 

tgillesp

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 11:21:51 am »
Thanks!  Found one!  Only an hour away and they are a PPO!  I'm asking my ENT for a referral at my Tuesday appt.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »
Excellent!  Keep us posted.

tgillesp

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 05:16:16 pm »
Wow!  just got my MRI bill and it was over $6000!!!  Of course, they will have to wait to see what insurance allows before they get a dime from me. 

Funnydream

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »
Wow!  just got my MRI bill and it was over $6000!!!  Of course, they will have to wait to see what insurance allows before they get a dime from me. 

I wish I knew weather that is a T1.5 or a T3 machine and if its made by Siemens. Can you post or PM me that companies info. (You don't have too and I would understand) I would like to call them? Because I ran the numbers on one of those companies and I'm thinking of starting one up.

When I saw the cost here in Texas and factored in the office and staff. Seamed the profit margin was about right to me.
But looking at the numbers y'all are posting. Looks like the insurance companies in other states are getting hosed for some reason.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4731161_much-do-mri-machines-cost.html

At $6k and at least 1 a day. That's around 1.5mil per year. Office, staff, and insurance at around $300k tops. That's a huge profit.

Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm

PaulW

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 12:55:29 am »
Hi Tracy,
I am not a Doc. But I probably know enough to tell you that the white blob is not an AN.
Its in totally the wrong position and it has shown up way too bright. It looks like an artery (with lots of Gadolinium pumping through it, which is why it is so bright)
There are lots of things that can look bad in your head that aren't.

Got any more pics for us to look at?

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!