Author Topic: Numbness around surgery site and scar care  (Read 14349 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Numbness around surgery site and scar care
« on: May 03, 2009, 06:37:08 am »
1.  How long does the numbness of the ear and the area surrounding the incision last?

2.  My scar feels lumpy.  Should I begin a vitamin E regimen?

Thank you.  (And sorry in advance.  I know I'm going to be pelted over the airwaves.  But sometimes I just can't help myself.   ;D ;D ;D )
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Numbness around surgery site and scar care
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:02:59 am »
Nancy:  My scar has always remained a bit 'lumpy' - I think it's from the titanium plates, etc.
& my incision is still numb almost 3 years post op !

Your new 'signature' name is a hoot ! !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Seal

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:16:04 am »
Maybe I can be Numbskull #2 as well.    I seem to recall Dr. McKenna saying that the numbness could take a few months to resolve itself.   I know that I have cut skin nerves when a filet knife slipped on me once or twice.   The nerve endings were cut, but they seem to eventually grow back over the period of months up to a year.     The facial numbness has almost returned completely for me after the surgery, but I still have that numbness in the gums and tongue.  The tongue on the AN side feels just like its been scorched with hot water.   I still have very little feeling, but I hope someday it will return.  The good news is that I've lost the excess weight that I didn't need.    There is always a silver lining............. ;D
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:47:46 am »
 ;D ;D
Love the new "handle".

I think Seal gave good advice about the numbness around the scar.  For scar care, I used Carol's Daughter scar butter, which I bought at Sephora.  I massaged it gently onto my scar a few times a day and within a few weeks the lumpiness receded and within 6 weeks the scar was almost flat and smooth.  Soon after, it looked great and was almost invisible.  So that's my advice....

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NancyMc

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:53:54 am »
Thanks, Marci.  I'll get some ASAP!
Steve, The "dead" side feels creepy when someone touches it, so I'll be glad to see it gone.  I was really hoping for the metallic taste and that certain foods would taste so bad that I wouldn't want to eat them.  No such luck.  I do have a very slight metallic taste on the AN edge of my tongue and some numbness of tongue, cheek, gums, but it hasn't stopped the voluminous consumption, so it's back to sheer will power.   :-[

All, I can't believe no one has yelled at me yet.  Guess they've just given up.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:30:22 am »
Nancy -

keep in mind that your surgery was only about a month ago.  Recovery can take months.   Sometimes recovery can take a year - or more - for some issues.

My skull was numb for a long, long time - I fact, parts of it still are and I'm almost 2 years post op. 

Like, Nancyann, my incision is lumpy; and I agree with her it's probably from the "hardware".  I have a titanium plate also - and titanium mesh and titanium screws.

The good news is that no one sees my incision; it's hidden behind my hair.  So it's pretty irrelevant that it's lumpy.

Give yourself some time.  Rome wasn't built in a day  ;)

The rest of your recovery is right on track; I wouldn't stress about the numbness - as aggravating as it may be.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 01:13:37 pm »
Nancy ....

After 14+ months, my scar is still very lumpy ..... in addition to the dent from the hole.  My neurosurgeon's assistant said it is most likely from dissolving stitches still working their way out.  It almost feels like soft, thick glue in spots and sometimes is very tender to touch.

Marci .... thanks for the suggestion about the Carol's Daughter scar butter.  I'm going to see if I can find it either locally or on the Internet.

The numbness from my first surgery in 1994 lasted for years .... and still persists in a few spots.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

NancyMc

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »
Learning to accept the new me . . .  numb skull, fat head, hmmmm   ;D

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »
It's not the new you, it's the "now" you. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Seal

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:18:53 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I had symptoms very similar to JB's prior to the operation.    My entire right side of my skull was numb including lips, cheeks, nose, tongue, gums, and of course the entire right scalp.    Now most of the numbness is gone except some residual tongue and gum numbness.     So, for me to have the scalp still numb is not a big deal, and the net effect was a gain not a loss for me.      Like I mentioned earlier, the skin nerves definitely do come back.    The only problem is having the patience to wait till it comes back.    Over the years, I've had my share of cuts, falls, incisions (unplanned), and the nerves were cut only to grow back over time.     So I'm sure that we will both get most if not all of the feeling back in our scalp.    I feel that it is a small price to pay for a successful surgery!!    Even my taste seems to be improving, and its only been three weeks.     So hang in there. 

Plus my kids don't call me  Frankenstein anymore!!!!!    I must be healing!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Keri

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:49:35 pm »
NANCY NANCY NANCY.... there, i yelled at you. i yelled at you because i go to look for your posts to see how you are and i don't know WHERE you are because you change your name!!

I don't know if I was a numb skull (probably just metaphorically), but now at 3 months I notice my incision hurts more. Not a lot - it's not really painful, it's just kind of a bothersome thing. Maybe I was numb all along and I was oblivious and the feeling is returning now. My scar is lumpy but it doens't matter I guess. My hair covers it. Your hair covers your's well too. Still, I fiddle with it, trying to figure how my hair's growing in around it.

Are you using anything for your eye? I guess I tend to harp on this because it's what I notice the most. I don't notice my facial paralyis because I can't see myself. But I've noticed that I've improved (with smiling especially) even since the time I was there in Boston. You are still a baby postie and I think / hope you'll see significant improvement fairly soon!

Maybe you can give me some gardening consultation! Every year I say that I'm going to buy the hard to kill plants (in this area - begonias and impatiens) because I'm not good with plants. Every year I go and buy some other stuff, with all the good intentions in the world that I'll fertilize and even water the plants!! (I'd rather leave that up to the good Lord). My backyard starts out looking great (I've done my part - I bought them and planted them) and I just keep forgetting to water them (minor details) and they melt once it gets so hot.  Maybe this year I'll blame my forgetfulness on my AN.

I hope you're feeling better and better all the time!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:20:13 am »
BabyPostie . . . my next name!  Thank you!  And thanks for yelling at me so I can put that behind me.

I imagine you are correct that the numbness has worn off and you are now feeling the scar for the first time.  So, that took three months.  Good.
I'm glad you continue to see improvement.  You'll be back to pre-op face soon.  I went back to eye gel last night because my eye was very bloodshot.  So, I suppose I'll continue using it until I forget again and survive the night.

I had a pretty easy to manage surgery outcome, so there's not much improvement to expect.  My hearing although gone pre-op seems worse.  I don't sense anything on my right side.  I believe I used to have some idea when there was sound coming from that side.  My tinnitus is worse.  So, the only improvement that I can hope for is in the facial weakness department.

Think of watering your plants as meditation or therapy.  Take some time from all that running and love your flowers!

NancyMc