Author Topic: facial confusion  (Read 4091 times)

reg

facial confusion
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:08 pm »
my problem is confusing to me i have posted several times on this board in different topics but the same ?  i can smile, use my facial muscles fine, eat and drink normal  but i have severe tightness and slurred speech allso a feeling i just came from the dentist thats constant am i making any sense?  does anyone else have that complication and if so does it ever leave?
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: facial confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:54 pm »
It makes perfect sense to me, because I have a facial neuroma.  I deal with what you are dealing with on a daily basis, plus daily headaches and facial pain.  Was there any tumour left on your facial nerve? 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mk

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »
Reg,

the symptoms you are describing sound like trigeminal nerve issues. The trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V) is a sensory nerve, controlling sensation. The novocaine feeling is also called hypoesthesia. It is not unusual for large ANs to damage the trigeminal nerve, either as they grow, or during surgical removal, thus causing these symptoms. Quite a few of us have them and while annoying they are usually tolerable. The worse case scenario is trigeminal neuralgia (aka severe pain), which can be intolerable but happens to a very small percentage of patients.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

reg

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:08:56 pm »
thanks for the replies and all tumor was removed (thank god) the feeling in tlolerable but very annoying iam hoping this med (effecor) will help it it dulls the sensation
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:13 pm »
Reg,

I think I've posted a similar question here recently on a similar topic.  I think I said that my face on the AN side feels like I went a few rounds with Mike Tyson.. just sorta "puffy" feeling.  I still have that senstation (but my surgery was after yours), so I can't tell you if it will go away or not, unfortunately.  Like you, it's tolerable but annoying sometimes.

Good luck with the meds and hopefully the sensation will go away soon..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:20:30 pm »
I have partial paralysis and significant sensory involvement with the a variety of sensations.  I always have a sense of tightness and that gets worse if I talk a lot or I am out in cold weather.  I also have buzzing, electrical sensations, sometimes feel like someone has punched me hard in the face, and generalized stiffness.

I am 4 years out and gradually my facial paralysis has improved to a tolerable level but the sensory problems sometimes make it FEEL like my face isn't working at all.

I send you my sympathies.  I think what you are experiencing is common enough but certainly upsetting.  I hope the medication helps.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Wwoodian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:33:52 am »
Can trimenial neuralgia develop 8 months after surgery?  Up until now I haven't had any kind of facial numbness or pain.  Does that make any sense?
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!