Author Topic: Going With GK  (Read 3047 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Going With GK
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:44:43 am »
Hi!

I posted on AN Issues, but I thought I would go ahead and post here as well since I have decided to go ahead with GK.  Getting it set up, and the big event will probably happen mid-Sept.  It was a long drawn out process getting to my decision, but I think I have finally made an informed decision after doing a lot of research and getting a lot of second opinions.  I had a tour of the GK Center here in Denver yesterday, met with the neurosurgeon and radiation oncologist, and now I feel satisfied to go forward.  I feel positive that everything is going to turn out OK so no looking back.  Thanks to all of you who have given me support and useful info over the past couple of months as I have struggled with making my decision.  The "gut feeling" finally kicked in, and it is nice to have it wrapped up.  Now to just get through it and come back to this board and post my positive GK story.

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

windy

Re: Going With GK
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:59:43 am »
Nancy,

I am very glad you have come to your decision to have GK.  I think everything will go really well for you.  It is my sincere hope for you.  Remember, this board is full of positive GK stories!  As you may have noted quite often on this board, many have said they can not even tell they have been through anything.  I want this to be the case for you!

You have researched fullly and made a good decision!  Congratulations!!

P.S. Please don't let my post radiation struggle influence you at all....As I have often said, I am not a "typical patient" in regard to reactions.
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Nancy Drew

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:11:35 am »
Hi Windy,

I just read your post, and I am sorry things are not going so good right now.  You seem to have a lot of other medical issues going on, and I am sure it is hard to sort everything out.  I hope you get to the root of your situation soon.  I know there is a possibility that I could have some post GK issues, but I am trying to be positive enough to accept whatever comes away.  It is so true.  There are so many different outcomes here--positive and negative.  Also seems that some of the negatives subside after awhile, and I hope that will be true in your case.  I am set on GK even after I have read some of the negative stories on this board.  I am keeping you in my thoughts, and I hope happier days with decreased problems are on your way.

Nancy :)   
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:29 am »
Hi Nancy,
I know what you mean about being unsure if your gut is telling you the right thing. All I can add to that is when you've made the wrong decision, your gut will let you know! 
When I was first diagnosed I really didn't thnk it was a big deal. My ENT really downplayed it, believed I should have surgery, and referred me to a Neurosurgeon. I also sent my MRI to the House clinic, and the Dr. I spoke to thought I should have surgery as well. I set the date, made arrangements for post-care and coverage at work.
My cousin (who is a cancer surgeon), discussed my case with a Neurosurgeon friend of hers, and pushed for surgery. My PCP thought I should have surgery,too! I thought all these medical people must know better than I what I should do, and I didn't even consider other options.

Then it hit me. I started having panic attacks, nightmares, and meltdowns. I called to have my surgery date pushed back so I could do some more research and immediately felt better. I then learned more about GK, met with Dr. Noren, and decided to go that route. Once I had made that decision, I was still a little nervous, but nothing like before. My gut was happy. :P I am really happy with the choice I made.

Good Luck to You,
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Nancy Drew

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:32:01 am »
Hi Lisa.

I am glad to hear that you had the insight to do more research before you went with surgery.  I know there are a lot of people who prefer the surgery route, and there are also those who had no other option but surgery.  But, it is a shame that some doctors do not let their patients know all of their options, and it happens also with doctors who push radiation only.  It is nice to hear that you have been satisfied with the results of your GK.  I am hoping for the same.  I am glad your gut led you to question the doctors opinions.  I feel like I have made an informed decision, and my gut is feeling happy.  It took me what seems forever to get to my gut feeling, but it was worth it in my opinion to study all of the options I had before me.  I am anxious to get my GK date set up, and I hope to hear this week.  Like you said, and I think it is only normal, I am a little nervous about my decision, but it is mainly about some of the emotional issues involved in making an important decision.  I have decided to see the nurse to get some more clarification on the sedation issue because it is my main concern right now. 

Thanks for your email.  Hopefully if others are reading this and are in the deciding phase, please be sure to find a doctor who will give you all of the options available to you before you act.  I don't think most doctors necessarily mean ill will, but I do think some wear blinders.  I feel lucky to have found doctors who have been able to give me info about all types of treatment, and ones who have performed all treatments as well.  Really helped me make my decision in addition to doing my own research.

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:12:10 pm »
Yay NancyI know everything will be coming up roses.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:18:06 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:23:43 pm »
Yay Sue,

You made my day.  I wish I had the computer skills to do something that cute.  All I can give you right now is  ;D.

Thanks,

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:44:30 pm »
Aw, shucks, thanks, Nancy.  Doesn't take much computer skills, tho.  You just have to look at all those fun things above the smiley faces.  B for Bold, etc.  The M that moves makes the type move, and all the other things up there to play with.  Just hit Preview to make sure the dumb things work right.  Took me about 5 tries to get it right! HA   :D  I'm not sure what the secret is, but maybe the order in which you do the various things has to be correct.  We'll see if I can do it again!

Hi Nancy!
I think that maybe you can only do 3 things.  Maybe that's the secret.  If I add something else besides size, color and moving, it doesn't seem to work.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode