Author Topic: When can I be active again after surgery?  (Read 3705 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
When can I be active again after surgery?
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:20:39 pm »
I am a Zumba instructor who was recently diagnosed with a 1.3cm AN. I am scheduled to have translab surgery to remove it on May 11. I am really worried because I know this surgery has a lengthy recovery period and really affects your balance and stamina. For those of you who have already gone through surgery how long was it before you could be physically active and work out again? Or dance? Zumba is a pretty high-intensity aerobic workout that involves a lot of dancing and I'm afraid that it's going to be ages before I'll be up to doing it again.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

leeclinton

Re: When can I be active again after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »
I started light exercising 4 weeks after surgery and back to taekwondo and high intensity exercise 6 weeks after surgery.
I had a very smooth recovery and was back to work in 2.5 weeks.
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012

Lynn Mc

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:04:03 am »
Manders,

I got on the WII fit a couple of weeks after surgery.  Slowly at first but I feel it certainly helped me recover.  Was back on my horse in 4 months.
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:55 am »
This is one of those questions Manders, that one would usually say "Each person's experience is unique and can and will vary".  Some people bounce right back, some never quite make it back to pre-op levels.  Just all depends on how the procedure goes.  For myself, I stayed out of work for 2 months, and probably should have went another month, as my stamina just wasn't quite up to par.  And I am fairly active.  So yeah, there are just so many factors that can affect recovery so the main thing to remember is to take it day by day, don't overdo it, and you should be on the road to a good recovery.  And try not to be too frustrated if your recovery isn't going as fast as you'd like... after all, you are having brain surgery! Good luck and keep us updated! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »
I kind of figured it would vary from person to person like Jay said. I'm hoping that since my tumor is fairly small and I'm young and in shape I'll have a quick recovery time too with no complications. It sounds like you all were able to get back up to where you were before surgery though even if it took different amounts of time. That's certainly encouraging!
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:45 pm »
Hi, Manders and welcome!  Yes, as Jay says, everyone's recovery varies...but, the more fit you are prior to surgery (and it certainly sounds like you are), the better.  I, like Lynn, started doing Wii Fit at about 2 weeks post op, was back on the tennis court by about six weeks out and training for a 1/2 marathon not long after that...we have had folks who've done full marathons not long after surgery...Your youth will definitely be in your favor! 

Stick around and ask any other questions you may have - someone is bound to have an answer for you,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

staypoz

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:05 pm »
Hi, Manders.  Ditto to the comments that everyone's experience is different.  You have several things in your favor regarding your recovery  -- your youth and the fact that you are so physically active.  Your dancing experience should hold you in good stead with your balance.  After my surgery,as part of my vestibular therapy, my physical therapist encouraged me to walk (not dance) through any dance patterns that I knew from my Scottish country dancing.  Those movements were hard-wired into my brain after so many years of doing them and being able to do walk-throughs after surgery helped me regain my sea-legs and confidence.  Good luck to you!!   

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »
Hi, Manders ~

You're young, fit and healthy so your recovery should be fairly rapid.  You'll probably find that your return to dancing will be incremental (too much exertion, too soon can result in debilitating fatigue) but time passes quickly and with your obvious motivation, you'll be up to (dancing) speed in no time, although you may have to make some accommodations along the way.

I was almost four decades older than you when I underwent my AN surgery (in 2006).  Although I was in relatively good physical condition (no medical issues - aside from the AN) and a fairly active (recent) retiree, I was no dancer. :)  My surgery ( and follow-up FSR ) went splendidly (no complications) and my recovery was reasonably swift.  Today, at 69, I'm still active - and doing great.  I can only imagine how well I would be doing were I 40 years younger and a Zumba dancer!  :)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:06:29 pm »
This is basically what my doctor has been telling me but it's nice to hear it from people who have already gone through the surgery.
Cindy, I hope my recovery goes as smoothly as yours did--it sounds like you were able to get back up to speed really quickly. I've always wanted to try a 5k, so maybe that will be a new goal I set for myself after surgery. Speaking of, does anyone know if there are AN organizations that host 5ks? I'd definitely be interested in doing one!

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:16 pm »
Yes, Manders, I did get back to being active pretty quickly - I believe it really did help with the wonkiness and, besides, tennis and other activities are just such fun!  However, I don't want you to think that it was a walk thru the park that first week or so post op...it wasn't.  I have had numerous surgeries and bounce back quickly each time, but this one really did throw me a bit...especially those first three days, which we say "don't count" around here.  But don't dwell on that, I just want you to know that you should definitely plan to get your active lifestyle back reasonably fast ;D

Wish you the best,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:49:25 pm »
You'll know when you are ready; your body will tell you.

Also, make sure you ask your doctor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways