Author Topic: Psychosomatic headaches?  (Read 16524 times)

Sefra22

Psychosomatic headaches?
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:50:12 pm »
When I spoke to Dr. Slattery from House Clinic last week, I told him I have been having headaches on my AN side right at the base of my skull. I have only had these particular headaches for 2 years. He told me that "these tumors do not cause headaches."
So, a few days later when I met my neurosurgeon, I told him about the pain I was having, and he said the same thing as Dr. Slattery.  I asked him if they could be psychosomatic, and he just kind of looked at me with raised eyebrows as if to say "What do you think?"  I must admit that since my diagnosis last month, they have been increasing in frequency and intensity.  I'm cool with the fact that it might "be all in my head" (pun intended), but I wonder does anyone else have them? What can I do about it, real or not, pain is still pain. :(
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Static

Re: Psychosomatic headaches?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:13:45 pm »
Sefra,
I was told the same thing............basically that AN's do not cause headaches.  I have headaches prior to and also after the AN so I figure it's something else.  I stopped all my medication (at least anything I took for headaches) and found that part of my problem was rebound headaches but even without the rebound headaches, I am getting what I see as  barometer headaches.....when the weather is changing, my head is full and pounds like you wouldn't believe.  I haven't pursued this yet because frankly, I am sick of doctors at this point in my life.  I guess what I'm telling you is that maybe you should back away from taking any kind of meds for awhile and see how you do.  The meds can actually cause headaches.  It takes a week or so for your system to clean up, so to speak.  During that time, try a little bit of caffeine (just a little bit, I used iced tea) and cold compresses on your head.  The cold compresses also help me with my barometer headaches.   You really can't lose much with this one because you aren't adding any new meds to your system but keep in mind, if you were taking something on a regular basis and stop it, the headaches can be kind of intense for awhile  but if they ARE rebound headaches, they will calm down in a few days after they peak.  If you try it, let me know how you make out.
Stat
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

jacobs

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:16:15 pm »

Ã‚ Hi sefra,
 just a thought,maybe the stress of dealing with everything is manifesting itself in the form of headaches?My own headaches and tension in my shoulders and neck pre op were extremely painful.They also seemed to get worse after my diagnosis.

I had several sessions with a shiatsu massage therapist in the 2 months before surgery and felt almost like my old self after each one.
 Lots of positive thoughts and deep breathing helped to still my mind as well.

I may be way off but I think that stress can do funny things to our bodies.

Hope you are able to find something that helps to ease the pain.Take care,Jacobs

Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Kilroy1976

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:32:32 am »
I started getting headaches after diagnosis, and they stopped shortly after receiving treatment. I think mine were psychosomatic. On the other hand... search for "headache" on this board and watch the millions of posts pop up. I don't know how many of those posts are treatment-related and how many are pretreatment, but... you're not alone by any means.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:36:24 am »
Personally, I think that the theory of ANs not causing headaches is bullhockey.  The headaches coupled with ear "fullness" are what sent me to the doc.  I'd get these real whoppers, always on the AN side and originating in the neck and back of my head.
Post surgery, they intensified until at 9 months I was virtually bed-ridden for the better part of 2 years.

Presenlty I'm getting help at a specialty clinic
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 12:50:34 pm »
Hi capt Deb!

Hope this link comes thru...
it indicates headaches can be very much a symptom of ans!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000778.htm#Symptoms

i have found other sites and read research reports that say 10-30% of aners can have an headaches too.....

keep swashing,
Windsong

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 12:57:42 pm »
forgot to add this link also...
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/9407.html

(also mentions headaches)

Windsong

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:06:02 pm »
I will start off with I have not read anyone else's response....but if I'm understanding you correctly you are having headaches now...been disagnosed and not treated and you've got two doctors telling you AN"s don't cause heaches?  I say they need to walk the PLANK!  I had extreme migraine type headaches for almost a year before I was diagnosed.  My treating surgeon started me on decadron which completely stopped the head pain...note I said head pain...it wasn't until after I the pain stopped that I realized it was different than the migraine type headaches I'd suffered from in the past.  The ANs might not cause heaches in the tylenol taking sense but they did cause me severe head pain which prevented me from a normal life!

Hope that insight helps.

M

Sefra22

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 07:00:10 pm »
Thanks everyone for your reponses!                                                                                                                                                                   
I stopped all my medication (at least anything I took for headaches) and found that part of my problem was rebound headaches but even without the rebound headaches, I am getting what I see as barometer headaches.....when the weather is changing, my head is full and pounds like you wouldn't believe.
I have not been taking anything for the new headaches as I have been a migraine sufferer since I was a teenager, and because of stomach issues, I only take Advil or Excedrin for the migraines. Oh, and the weather thing...I had a wicked headache right before a thunder storm last week!
Personally, I think that the theory of ANs not causing headaches is bullhockey.
Me, too! ;)
I started getting headaches after diagnosis, and they stopped shortly after receiving treatment. I think mine were psychosomatic. On the other hand... search for "headache" on this board and watch the millions of posts pop up. I don't know how many of those posts are treatment-related and how many are pretreatment, but... you're not alone by any means.
You know the funny thing is, I have not had a headache since I posted this thread! You guys are amazing! ;D
I will start off with I have not read anyone else's response....but if I'm understanding you correctly you are having headaches now...been disagnosed and not treated and you've got two doctors telling you AN"s don't cause heaches? I say they need to walk the PLANK...it wasn't until after I the pain stopped that I realized it was different than the migraine type headaches I'd suffered from in the past.
Yes, you understand correctly. You know exactly what I mean... the headaches are DIFFERENT!  I know what a typical headache is, I know what a migraine is. That's what I wish the doc's would understand.
Diagnosed June 2006

Static

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:25:23 pm »
With stomach problems you are allowed excedrin or advil?  I was told to steer clear of them and only take tylenol which I means I might as well take nothing.  Tylenol gives me the rebounds.  Since I've been on nexium for years because of a perforated ulcer, I again use excedrin and I too have been a migraine sufferer for as long as I can remember.  When I stopped my meds the daily headaches did stop for awhile, either rebounds, coincidence or both :/  Now it's hard to tell, a headache starts and can start as a killer then disappear only to reappear an hour or so later.......how to treat that?  I am just trying to deal with it until I can get myself together and go to yet another doctor and start the cycle again!  I don't like most doctors :(
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 07:34:55 pm »
No I dont' like doctors either...too bad they aren't like puppies!

sefra I have noticed since my surgery everytime a storm comes I get a headache.  I've been keeping a health log for the attorney...so I can relate to those storm headaches...it's a pain!!  The decadron helped with my presurgery head pressure..of course it causes other issues which were ok since my head didn't hurt..who needs to sleep?  LOL

Sefra22

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 08:23:36 pm »
With stomach problems you are allowed excedrin or advil?
I only take them when absolutely necessary. Luckily, I only get a migraine about once a month. I do take Tylenol if my stomach is empty, but like you said, it does almost nothing, just takes the edge off until I can eat, then I'll chase it with Advil. I am on Nexium, too, for Acid Reflux.
sefra I have noticed since my surgery everytime a storm comes I get a headache.
Did you remember pain during storms before your surgery?
Diagnosed June 2006

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:37:45 pm »
I believe very strongly about "power of the mind". Up until my surgery, I could block out most pains. This ability has ceased post surgery where i have rotten headaches. This is due to the physical outcome of the surgery I had.

I was lucky and didn't have any headaches pre surgery. However, the stress of it all could be the reason for the headaches.

I'm not convinced that the medicao's have got it right either. They can't prove that the AN doesn't cause headaches

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Windsong

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:34:25 pm »
Hi Laz

they can't prove etc.... i tried to quote it  (quote from your post) lol...

the thing is that that there are plenty of patients with "headaches"  that can say most emphatically that what they feel  is nothing like anything they had before with any headache whatsoever.....whether migraine as may already be known by them/ a stress headache/ a headache triggered by weather or whatever..... doesn't matter.

The point is that some with ans get headaches all right.

and there is research saying ans can give some headaches.....

personally i think it's due to the nerves involved regardless of where the an began and then grew and regardless of what treatment was used...

i doubt an mri will say much....
more likely the fluids from the csf would.....

windsong
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:18:52 am by Windsong »

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 07:45:40 am »
Sefra; I haven't time to read everyone's responce to this right now (I'll do that later tonight) but I must add my two cents now....this is a particular "bone of mine".....the major complaint of mine for the four years before diagnoses was headache. I was seen by a doctor within the first year and I was diagnosed as psychosomatic and for the next few years pumped with various pain pills. By the time the GP sent me for a second opinion the tumor was no longer confined to the auditory canal etc. My point is this....in my opinion AN's do cause headaches and if the doctor's disagree they should think a little more rationally.....if something is growing where it shouldn't wouldn't it be painful?!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)