Author Topic: SML (Scarlett's) updates  (Read 50641 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: SML (Scarlett's) updates
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 07:22:33 am »
Sorry for the hijack.... K I LOVE your new picture!!!! Are you wearing one of Steve's hats? Hey Steve are they the official AN hats? You could start your own business... where do we order them?
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Cheryl R

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 08:06:22 am »
The meds she is taking might be part of the sleepiness.      I know of one nausea med that really knocks you out.     Sometimes pain meds do also.          Some pain meds can cause nausea so gets to be a vicious circle.          Decadron ususally does makes one not sleep real well but the other drugs can be over powering it.                 I hope she soon gets to be doing better so she can get moving easier.           It is a weird feeling when you can't stay awake.
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sgerrard

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 09:26:10 am »
Sorry for the hijack.... K I LOVE your new picture!!!! Are you wearing one of Steve's hats? Hey Steve are they the official AN hats? You could start your own business... where do we order them?

Check Kay out in her recent post: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9000.0

They are most definitely not official AN hats. Next thing you know, I would have to start filling out forms:P

A hint for the hopeful: it helps if I have some idea of what color you like. Some of the color choices are on the little hat web site I put together; see link below.

Back on topic: Scarlett, what's your favorite color? :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 07:37:27 pm »
The Magic Scarf  :o, I would say so  >:(.

Just kidding. 

Okay, get your Kleenex ready!

The gentleman in the photo with Scarlett and The Magic Scarf is Ricky.
We were telling Scarlett’s nurse about the story behind The Magic Scarf, this ANA Forum, and all you wonderful (and I mean that!) people.  The nurse said that her other patient mentioned that he got a lot of information from individuals on the ANA web site.  We couldn’t believe it, and she asked if we would like her to see if he wanted to meet with Scarlett, of course she said yes.  So, he came over to see Scarlett.  Ricky’s surgery started just before Scarlett’s to remove a 2.0cm AN from his let side, he also has no paralysis, and is going home tomorrow.  Did I mention Scarlett is coming home tomorrow.  The nurse said they were only 1 decadron apart.  We asked Ricky “you know The Magic Scarf right?â€? he so no, to our surprised, so we told him the story.  Scarlett asked him if he would like to take a picture with the two of them and The Magic Scarf, he said he would be honored to.  This was truly a beautiful moment, and I’m filling up again just typing it.

This ANA Forum does so much more than offer information, it offers HOPE!  And that hope comes from all of you!  I can hardly see to type.  And of course The Magic Scarf.

Thank you all so very much, you should be proud of yourselves!

Okay, get it together Rich.  Scarlett is coming home tomorrow, as I slipped in there earlier.  What a difference from yesterday.  They had her up, walking the hall, and up and down some stairs.  She still can’t watch TV yet because it makes her dizzy.  I expect the 1 ½ hour ride home will be challenging, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Rich
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 07:58:30 pm »
Rich~
NO WAY!!  That is awesome!!  How great is it that you got to "share the power"??  Glad Scarlette is doing well & going home tomorrow!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 08:09:42 pm »
Both Ricky and Scarlett look great. A very nice moment, and a great entry for the Scarf Journal. Good recovery-at-home wishes to both. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 08:35:25 pm »
I have not been home early enough to reply properly, and I know you understand that.  So, please bare with me as I say a collective thank you to:

Steve, Nancy, Ernie, Maureen, Lori, Jan, Keri, Anissa, Vivian, Stoneaxe, David, Patrick, Michelle, K, Cindy, Jim, Marci, Sue, JB, and Cheryl R.  I hope I didn't miss anyone.

You know something, you should never tire of reading that!

Look at the support:  Keri 7 weeks out of surgery, Ernie 2 weeks, JB 9 days.  You have been in our thoughts also, and we wish you a speedy recovery.

And thank you for caring about me, it feels odd, I’m not the one that had surgery.  I’ve been fine, really.  It meant a lot to me to keep you updated, because I know you genuinely care.

I promise to tone down the praise, but it will be hard!

Later,

Rich

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 09:07:25 pm »
Rich and Scarlett,

How awesome was that?!?  Both Scarlett and Ricky look like they came through with flying colors!

Congratulations on coming home tomorrow!  Now you can see why people say the first day or two don't count.  Things move along very quickly in the beginning.  You will both be so much more comfortable at home.  I know I was.

Rich, you've been doing just fine with the updates!  Keep in mind that I cheated.  I had a netbook there with me since Tampa General has free internet access :).

Thanks again for sharing that wonderful uplifting story!  It really brightened my day!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »
...a PINKone...

K ::)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »
I guess the magic scarf is works as long as it's in the building!

I'd hardly guess either one of them just had brain surgery!  They look a heck of a lot better than I did and I thought I did pretty well!   :-\

If Scarlett is doing so well already, I think being home will only help things along.  It just feels so much better to get home.

Have a safe and uneventful ride home!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 02:40:42 am »
Great to hear things are going so well.....and I did need a kleenex thank you very much... ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cindyj

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 07:26:11 am »
Ohhh, that is so great!  Thanks so much for posting that pic - I do hope it makes it into the journal.  What a story to start my day off with - thanks!   

Wishing Scarlett and Ricky continued fast/uneventful recoveries!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 02:07:49 pm »
Rich that was a wonderful story about Scarlett and Ricky. May they both have a restful recovery.
Hugs to you, Scarlett and Ricky.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 03:19:40 pm »
That story is...awesome.  Truly.  Great news about Scarlett being released tomorrow.  I hope the ride home goes smooth and her continued recovery even better.  Take care!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Scarlett came home today and is doing great. ;D  Her family came by and she had a nice visit.  She is having trouble with the computer screen and hopes to post herself tomorrow.

Rich