Author Topic: Scared Sh*tless, Surgery scheduled 2/26, recovery feedback?  (Read 8858 times)

v357139

Re: Scared Sh*tless, Surgery scheduled 2/26, recovery feedback?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
There you go.  When you have a fear or issue, best thing is to discuss it with the doctor.  Now you are all set.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

stephc

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »
I was also very scared.  I am now 15 months post op and doing great.  No I am not the same as before but I have a great life.  I am able to be active and work full-time.  The hearing loss has been the biggest and most frustrating challenge for me.  You are going to do great. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »
The hearing loss has been the biggest and most frustrating challenge for me. 

My hearing loss was the biggest & most frustrating challenge for me also.  Lots of people adapt to it, but I never did; I was miserable. 

There are good solutions out there - I chose a BAHA, but there is also the Phonak Cros, the TransEar, and the Soundbite. 

You should investigate your options; don't just live with your SSD if it bothers you that much.  The solutions aren't perfect - nor are they like having normal hearing again - but they sure beat doing nothing.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

robertb

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:22:23 am »
I had Translab surgery in Kaiser San Diego by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastridomas last February 27th and found them to be a great team, both fantastic surgeons that have apparently done hundreds of AN surgeries together (I found the whole neurosurgery dept. at Kaiser SD to be top notch). They were attentive to me and Dr. Cueva has always called me back when I have called with my concerns. Seems like all of our post op experiences vary so much but at about 11 months since surgery I think that I am doing great. Still a bit loopy and SSD but since my surgery I have come such a long long way back to, well I guess they call it a new normal! You will need a lot of rest during recoup but you will be there to see your grandchild smile. Good luck to you with your surgery and with your grandchild. Robertb
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:21 pm »
At 6wk post translab I feel great. Riding horses a little, am doing my normal farm stuff and booting work to FT next week. Put your trust in your doctors, and take charge of planning your recovery. If you are not much of a walker, try to start before you go to surgery, it will help you! Thinking positive thoughts for you! Karen

nic

Re: Scared Sh*tless, VOR rehab
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 02:53:59 pm »
Wondering how you are doing Artadvice.  I was really scared too. Prayed like crazy before surgery.  Very good result.  No paralysis! 
You asked about recovery.  I did rehab at Magee in Philadelphia.  It helped a lot.  Among other things we did Vestibular Oracular Reflex Training. You can check out on Youtube  VOR is all in the eyes.  Teaching the brain to adapt  - they don't like us to say "compensate!"  I haven't seen mention of this work on the Forum.