Author Topic: Cost of TransEar  (Read 8811 times)

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
Cost of TransEar
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:44:23 pm »
Hello - Does anyone know how much is TransEar and if it's covered by Insurance companies?

:)

Ilse

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Cost of TransEar
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 04:16:11 pm »
Ilse,

Prices will vary among different audiologists, however mine told me that TransEar was about $2,800.  Coverage by insurance really is going to vary amongst the particular plan that you're on (if it's covered at all).  For example, the plan I'm on will cover hearing aids for up to $1,000 benefit every 36 months.  So, net cost of the TransEar will be approximately $1,800.  Other plans have different coverages for hearing aids (if they cover them at all).  I suggest that you contact your insurance company and ask them what they cover for hearing aids.

Or, better yet, you could get your audiologist to pre-certify exactly what you would need for TransEar.  That will give you the exact amount you would owe if you were to get TransEar.  Many audiologists also offer a Financing deal to help pay for it over time.  For example, one audiologists I talked to used Citi Healthcard which provided 1 year of no interest financing.

So, to answer your questions succinctly, it all depends.  ;)

If interested in BAHA (which some are and some not), the price is generally higher BUT many insurance companies will cover the BAHA as an "implant" rather than a "hearing aid" and therefore cover much more of the cost.  Again, have your doctor pre-certify the charges to get a break-down of what you'd have to pay if you go that route.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ilsemor

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:29:45 pm »
Thanks Brian, I guess it's not that popular among ANA members.  I called my insurance company and you're right, they do not cover hearing aids.  So my next step is to save money.  I have considered the BAHA but for some reason it doesn't attract me. 
Are there any ladies there who have it and have posted pictures? 

Thanks again!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:09 pm »
Ilse,

Jan (forum name LeapYrTwins) and Lori (Lori267 or something like that) are both very prominent female members of the forum that both use and LOVE their BAHA.  Jan has posted pictures of her BAHA, abutment site, etc..  She probably knows exactly where it is (where is it Jan?).  I haven't ruled out BAHA and I keep my hair buzzed most of the time.. The pictures that I've seen show ladies wearing it and you can't tell because they've hidden it in their hair..

I think both (as well as the new Oticon Ponto Pro) should be considered..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:54 pm »
Ilsemor -

here are my BAHA pictures  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

And Brian is correct - I am enamored with my BAHA.  I currently have a Divino (by Cochlear) and just tried both the new BP100 (also by Cochlear) and the Ponto Pro (by Oticon).  The Ponto Pro and the BP100 are upgrades to the Divino.  I have decided on the BP100 and will be upgrading in January  ;D

One of the big things I like about the BAHA is that no one knows I'm wearing one.  I wear nothing behind or in my ear and unless I've told someone I wear one, they have no clue. 

The BAHA isn't for everyone, but the surgery is outpatient and very easy; healing is also swift and typically without any complications.  Mine has really become second nature to me - I don't even think about it anymore.  I'd liken it to wearing glasses or contact lens.

Lori67 is the other forumite that Brian mentioned.  She loves her BAHA too - as do many others here, like Catherine, Wendy, Sam Rush, joef, etc.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ilsemor

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »
Thank you Jan for your update.  I'll consider it.  It does look bigger on your head than in your hand. 
:)

Ilsemor   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:57:17 pm »
Ilsemor -

my Divino is very small - about the size of the first digit of my thumb.  The Intenso and the BP100 are the about the same size.  The new Oticon Ponto Pro is a little different shaped - kind of looks like a comet - and it's slightly bigger.

I forgot to mention earlier that the BAHA processors come in colors to match your hair.  The Cochlear devices have 6 colors I believe; the Oticon device has 3 or 4.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways