Author Topic: This Week (3/1) in the Discombobulating AN World  (Read 4361 times)

LADavid

This Week (3/1) in the Discombobulating AN World
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:40:15 pm »
Not only does he make great hats, Steve also comes up with spiffy adjectives.  Thanks, Steve.

The AN business is picking up again.  This week there are a few surgeries, a couple of birthdays, and an anniversary.

While technically not in this coming week, I found something on Facebook that's today.  It's Hrissy's birthday!  Chestit Rojden Den, Hrissy!

And on Sunday, 3/1 it's Sue's (in Vancouver, WA) birthday.  Chest...er, Happy Birthday, Sue!

On Tuesday, there's a bit of an emergency.  When Donnalynn was having her surgery at House, she befriended a young couple from Lousianna -- the wife had her second surgery.  Donnalynn just heard that an AN appeared on the opposite side and is growing rapidly.  Her name is Beth -- I don't know if she is active on this Forum, but Lainie, Nancy and I are meeting with them on Sunday to wish them the best.

On Wednesday, Jan (leapyrtwins) is celebrating her one year anniversary of getting her BAHA implant.  That really seems just like yesterday.  Congratulations, Jan!  And, since your twins are leap year twins, happy birthday to them.

Also on Wednesday, Steph (highlife) is doing a bit of a pioneering thing.  She's have Endoscopic surgery at the Skull Base Institute here in Los Angeles.  Best wishes for much success, Steph -- please keep us posted.

On Thursday, the Ernie Countdown reaches The Day.  Ernie (EJTampa) and the magic scarf are having a retrosig surgery in Tampa.  Have a great surgery, Ernie.  Will your wife be updating us?

There's one more event that isn't on the calendar.  She's probably too shy (like Lori) to mention things like this.  I of course discovered it on Facebook.  It's Kay's (Kaybo) birthday!  Happy Birthday, Kay!  I'm not making any more comments about age any more except to say, Kay is very young.

And that's it for this week.  Have a great one everyone.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: This Week (3/1) in the Discombobulating AN World
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:56 pm »
Thanks, as always, David.  I agree, discombobulating (upset, confuse) is a great adjective.  Kudos to Steve!

Donnalynn's friend from Louisiana will certainly be in our collective thoughts and prayers this week.   I can't imagine the kind of stress she must be going through.  2 ANs are enough for any human being to deal with. 

Steph's (Highlife) endoscopic surgery really is relatively pioneering and of course, I hope it goes smoothly and that she has a splendid recovery, as I'm sure she will.   

Happy 1st BAHA anniversary to our intrepid poster, Jan.  Time does fly!

So, since Ernie's (EJTampa) countdown to surgery finally ends on Thursday and since we've all been counting down with him, we 'll be collectively seeking updates as soon as they're available.

Happy Birthdays to Sue, Hrissy and of course, the indispensible Kay (Kaybo)

Thanks again David - and have a great week, yourself,.  I just hope the politicians don't auction off Southern California this week in order to close the state budget deficit.  :D

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:04:58 pm »
Jim, I keep looking out my window every morning expecting to find that everything just stopped working.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »
Ernie's wife, Isabel, will keep you all updated while I am down and out, which with some luck and all of your prayers, should only be for a few days! :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:10:19 pm »
Hello All~
Good Luck and prayers to everyone having procedures this week.  David, I am so glad that y'all get to meet with "Beth" - I can't even imagine what she is going thru!  Thanks for the b-day wishes...goodness knows that I am not shy about that (or is a secret how old I am!) - I just didn't think it warranted being put on the calendar with all the "serious" things that need to be addressed there!!  I will be in Houston (away from my family - so sad) taking care of my MIL who is recovering from surgery so you can send my gift there, David.  Jan & Lori are having my new car delivered there!  I am SO excited!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:45:45 pm »
Kay -

Houston?  Did you say Houston?  Well, darn the luck, they were delivering the new car to Walla Walla, Washington.  I'm sure you can see how the two get confused.  Oh well.  Maybe next year.

Fingers crossed for Beth. David, that is so nice of the LA-er's to go meet with her.  Have a good visit.

Steph, good luck with your surgery.  We're all anxious to hear how it goes.  Ernie, good luck to you also - prayers coming south for you and west for Steph.

Birthday wishes for Hrissy and Sue and Happy BAHA Gotcha Day to Jan!  And Happy Birthday to the kids too!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »
Best wishes to all who are undergoing treatments and celebrating birthdays and other important events this week!

I'll echo Lori and Kay's comments about how nice it is for the LA group to meet with Beth, the young patient from Louisiana whom Donnalyn befriended at House last year. As we've mentioned before, Donnalyn and I had our surgeries at House on the same day last year and while our paths never crossed, our husbands and daughters chatted a few times. If I remember correctly, my husband and I met Beth's husband and his parents just as they were arriving at Seton Hall and we were getting ready to leave for home. We were in the breakfast room at Seton when a young man wearing an LSU sweatshirt came in -- I grew up in New Orleans so we immediately started to chat. His parents came in a few minutes later and told us about their daughter-in-law, an NF2 patient, and how she had undergone quite a few surgeries. They were such a nice family! I remember telling them I was sorry that we were leaving just as they were arriving ... and I've thought about them during the past year and wondered how things had gone. So it was wonderful  to learn from David's post that Donnalynn took them under her wing. Very best wishes to Beth and her family -- they have been through a lot in the past few years.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:37 pm »
Catherine -- Your post only confirms my belief that we are a beautiful family here.  God has blessed us.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:37 am »
Thanks David, as always, for keeping us informed about what's going on.  Happy Birthday/anniversary to Jan, K, Sue, and Hrissy.  Ernie, be peaceful and put your trust in your surgeons and your faith in god, or whatever you believe in.  I'll be thinking of you.
Best,
Marci
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:19:50 am by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:17:42 am »
Discombobulating - now there's a word!  And I actually knew what it meant  ;D  Although it was nice of Jim to think of me and explain it anyway; he knows me well.

Ernie, I'm confident you'll do great and I look forward to Isabel's updates. 

Steph, you'll do great also.  Those who have had surgery at SBI have had wonderful outcomes and I'm sure you will too.

LA Gang - and Donnalynn - I'm not at all surprised that you guys befriended Beth and I'm sure you'll be a source of great relief to her and her family.  I just wish more of us lived in LA so we could be in this too.  Please don't forget to post pictures.

Catherine, very sweet story about your family and Beth's family.  It must have been so comforting to everyone to "be in the same boat". 

A big happy birthday to Hrissy, Sue, and Kaybo.  Eat lots of cake and enjoy yourselves  ;D

Kay - congratulations on being indispensible (I know that that means, too, and I agree with Jim)  I didn't know you said Houston either - I'm SSD, you know.  And I didn't realized you asked for a car.  I thought it was diamonds you were after - and I think I shipped them to Nashville  ::)  Oh well, I guess I got things mixed up.  Must have been that little brain surgery I had a few years back  :P  Lori, when the diamonds arrive, please return to sender  ;)

As for me, while I'm still greatly enarmoured (Jim Scott word there  :) ) with my BAHA, I'm wondering if with two teenagers in the house now if I'll want to be more deaf not less LOL  At least I could claim not to hear all those requests for money  :D

Jan, the intrepid poster

PS to David - hope all the stuff in CA keeps working.  While there are economic problems here in Illinois, they currently don't outweigh all the other issues created by our crooked politicians.  In addition to our governor issues, the long-time mayor of my own town pleaded guilty to taking kickbacks from insurance companies not too long ago.  Makes you wonder what the world is coming too.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 10:55:51 am »
Jan,

Did you buy yourself one of those word of the day calendars?   :D

I'm just going to keep the dictionary right next to the computer from now on so I know what I'm reading!

Lori - becoming discombobulated in Nashville....
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:22:32 pm »
I am truly in awe.  Lainie and Nancy and I just had dinner with Beth and Joseph.  They are an amazing couple.  You were right Donnalyn.  In spite of everything Beth has gone through in the last two years she has an incredible outlook, strength and a wonderful personality.  And Joseph is a devoted and loving husband. They are beautiful together.  And what is even more amazing to me is that they are so young (she 24, he 27).  If I ever start to get down about things, I'm just going to remind myself of these two and what an inspiration they are.  I feel very blessed to have met them.  Wow!
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:36:10 am »
sending wellness wishes to all that are having treatments this week! :)

BAHA anniversary... love it! :)

and for the sly ones that are celebrating another year older but didn't bother to mention on OUR calendar BUT, noted it elsewhere on the internet... HAPPY BIRFDAY!!!!!!!!!! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 10:56:47 am »
Phyl~
Just so you will know, I assume David saw it on the side of his screen on Facebook where it says "upcoming birthdays" - it automatically puts the b-days of your "friends" - I certainly didn't POST it on another calendar somewhere!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »
Thanks again to David for keeping us all apprised of the week's activities. Hope everything goes well for everyone.  So happy people are connecting and learning and growing from one another.  It's so heart warming to read about all these friendships/connections being made because of the ANA Forum.   

Belated Birthday greetings to my fellow Pisceans!  And thank you all for my birthday greetings.  I even thought of my own little Birthday poem.  Happy  Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, I can't believe it, But I'm sixty-three!    Boy, ain't THAT the truth! :o :o  Had a nice day as we went over to my Brother-in-law's house and saw our nephew who is home on leave from the Marines.  He is off to Okinawa for about the 3rd time.  He likes it over there.  In 3 1/2 years or so he'll have his 20 in.  Seems like he just joined!  Does anyone else think that the space/time continuum is hurtling along waaaaaay too fast these days?  Then off to a steak house, the kind where you throw your peanut shells on the floor, and I indulged in a rib eye steak, heavy on the cholesterol.  I thought, what the hey.  I seldom eat red meat anymore, so I thought I deserved a treat for my birthday.  The best thing on my birthday?  My son gave me a really, really nice unexpected hug after our dinner, right in the restaurant.  So "huggles" are one of nature's best inventions!   :)

Have a great week everyone,

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode