Author Topic: Weather changes and wonky head...  (Read 12227 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Weather changes and wonky head...
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:50:36 am »
So here's something I've noticed lately.  Whenever we get a storm front moving through our area (Phoenix AZ) I can tell especially as my balance get thrown off just a bit more.  At first I thought I was just imagining it, but today the pressure, which normally is around 970 hPA was down to 960 hPA.  My head definitely feels more wobbly than usual, and my scalp seems to feel more sensitive to the touch as well, especially on the AN surgery side.  Has anyone else had similar experiences? I know it's been talked about a lot the issues of sinuses and allergies...how they affect balance.  Although now I think about it, today's episode may be partly due to that as well, I have been sneezing and nose dripping a bit.  Anyways, I was just curious to know if anyone else out there has experienced this as well...
Regards, Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

cindyj

Re: Weather changes and wonky head...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:00:44 am »
Hi, Jay!  Yes, I've noticed some days seem to be worse and I usually attribute it to the weather - incorrectly or not, but seems to be the case for me...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:09:32 am »
You bet, I agree, the weather patterns make me feel more "unbalanced" and lightheaded. Like yesterday, we had rain, hail, sun and rainbows too. Weird.
And I was walking around like a drunk. ;D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:30 am »
Yup me too!

It is the barometric pressure fluctuations that do it. Thus we in the AN world here have been calling it “barometer head.” If your sinuses are blocked (even silently as can be the case with the maxillary sinus) than this will create "wonky head".

Assume that you DO have allergies- even if the nose does not run. It could be other sinus cavities that are are full- such as the maxillary. Treat yourself as you do have allergies and try to remove the allergens. I bought all the allergy prevention bedding for dust mites (even with the best housekeepers - dust mites live everywhere) at Bed Bath and Beyond (“Beyond” means beyond a reasonable price  :-\) and also bought a hepa filter for my bedroom and for my one child- who also has allergies. Washing your hair before bed will make a difference too- or taking a complete bath/shower to wash away any allergens. I also take an antihistamine before bed. My problem is the maxillary sinus fills up at night thus giving me wonky head on the morning.

Silent Sinus Syndrome defined
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_sinus_syndrome

SO far I have been able to function without sinus surgery… and the symptoms have gone away.

Know the only time I get a wonky head :-\  now is when I try to understand the new health bill tease  ;)  LOL  :D  ;D … (Don’t respond to that silly comment of mine here. There is a whole other heated thread happening on the AN community for THAT one already.  ::)  ;) )

I believe that also because our Dura fluid was messed with by the tumor, or tumor treatment, that our fluid levels may be off (the norm)… thus making us extra sensitive to quick changing barometric pressures that weather systems have.

I also found when I make quick elevation changes is when my wonky head happens too. Last summer we went frorm sea level to the top of Crater Lake in one day … and down again. I was a brain wreck. :-\ I also think that because of all this AN tuma stuff we also may be more prone to altitude sickness than the “normal” person is. (Whatever defines “normal?”  :-\  ;D )?… I did rock and ice climb (frozen water falls in Canada) in my youth. (However not since I became a parent 16 years ago though)… Back then I noticed it took me longer to adjust to elevation changes than others climbers, on my teams, did. Now I am middle aged I am putting that puzzle piece together to understand the big picture. I have not tried down hill skiing, since treatment, so I am not sure what I would be like going up and down a mountain rapidly will do.

Wonky Heads unite8)  ;D … in middle age. :-\  ;)

DHM :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Tisha

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:25:34 am »
I think, not sure, this could be happening to me, too.  I'm having issues right now post CK with swelling and nystagnus.  I had an episode Friday and Dramamine took care of it and all dizziness in an hour.  Since then, my head felt a little full on Sunday and that it could start again (weather was bad), but then weather changed and all has been well.  I felt wonderful yesterday, beautiful clear sunny day.

Today, the weather is bad, storms approaching.  When I got into work at 7:30, I could feel really off balance and what I think must be wonky head everyone talks about.  Head heavy, full like i want to lay it down.  I'm dizzy and unbalanced.  I went ahead and took a dramamine as I have teens to pick up later and a very full day.  It's not working as well at knocking it all out like Friday, but I'm not in nystagnus.  I just feel blah, like I want to go home and lay my head down.

I think it must be this weather, who knows?  I never have had these issues at all in the past 16 months post CK.  I'm so sick of it.  Die already you AN!
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:23:59 am »
As a Wait and Watcher for 3 years now I`ve always noticed some kind of problem that came with a change of weather. I just accepted it as a normal part of my life. To me there is no doubt that it definately plays a role in whats going on in our body. Best wishes, Mickey

turbomom

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »
I would say "yes" and I have not had my AN removed yet(that happens in one month). Whenever we have lots of humidity or rain here in the south, my face actually tingles(an normally it does not) and I have more prominent ringing and fullness in the ear. I'll see how the weather makes me feel after "Wilson" is removed, but as for now I definitely think the weather has some play on my head.
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:46 pm »
I am NF2 and had my right tumor removed in March. It rained here in central Texas last night and today. My hearing in the left ear took a big dive today and I am counting on it being the weather....I hope! I sure don't want to lose both ears.

Shaoi

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »
My CONSTANT dizziness and sinus pressure are definitely aggravated by weather changes. My head would feel heavier than usual, my head muscles become tighter, and I would end up with a throbbing headache. It has been like that for 10 months now-- 24/7. It sucks but I have learned to accept it as the new "normal" for me. When I feel the headache coming, I just take Excedrin.

I hope everybody is feeling a little better today.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »
The humidity is killer for me, and low pressure systems put me in such a state.  I'm a better weather predictor than most meteorologists  :P

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Brewers7

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:40:37 am »
Humidity seems to aggravate my sinuses and wonkey head but helps my dry eye.  19 months post op.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:05:32 pm by Brewers7 »
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

cin605

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »
Humidity and storms all aggrate my balance...right now we are in the middle of a heat wave humidity off the charts i been crappy for a couple days.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old