Author Topic: Post op headaches?  (Read 3924 times)

cceekkoo11

Post op headaches?
« on: January 01, 2014, 08:36:43 pm »
hi everyone!
I am newly diagnosed, 4 cm AN on the left side. I already met with couple physicians and since the AN is so big surgery is a must, but there were some different approaches and i wanted to ask for your experience.
First one told me that to avoid headaches after the surgery they take some of the belly fat and put it around the incision. Second one said they don't do that anymore because there was no need to. They are using what he described as "snowflakes" at the corners of the skull opening and it was preventing muscle tissue to grow and connect with it (which was the reason for the post op headaches)
Which Technic did your surgeons use and did it make a difference with the headaches?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post op headaches?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:28:22 pm »
I had retrosigmoid approach and don't have post op headaches.

My surgeons used belly fat from my abdomen to put in the space where my AN used to be.

I don't know if that can be attributed to my lack of headaches or not (since I didn't experience them pre op either).

Haven't heard of "snowflakes" but my surgery was in May 2007.

I've heard more than once that there is a theory (not proven to my knowledge) that using belly fat reduces the incidence of CSF leaks.  Just for the record, I didn't have a CSF leak.  Is that because I have belly fat in my head?  Not sure - but something else to think about.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Islandgirl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »
I hope I never need it but it's good to know belly fat has it's uses  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »
cceekkoo11 ~

FWIW: I underwent Retrosigmoid approach AN debulking surgery in 2006 and had titanium mesh (not belly fat) installed over the incision site.  No leaks, no problems and definitely no headaches - ever.  Like Jan, I didn't have any headaches prior to diagnosis.  I had asked my neurosurgeon (he had decades of AN surgery experience) about the possibility of post-op headaches and he assured me that I wouldn't have any.  I trusted him and he was proven correct, for which I'm grateful.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »
I had the retrosigmoid approach, but it became infected 1.5 years later and I had all of the cement and metal removed. I actually have a piece of my skull missing about the size of a ping pong ball.  Luckily, I do not have issues with headaches, just my usual ones, I have always had headaches.  They have not increased in frequency related to my surgeries.  They did increase to daily after I had Gamma Knife treatment though, but resolved after a few weeks of low-dose steroids.
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:06:33 pm »
I had translab with belly fat and titanium plate, no problems.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:29 pm »
I should have noted previously that, in addition to belly fat, I also have a titanium plate, titanium mesh, and titanium screws in my AN surgical site.  In addition, I have a titanium rod in my skull (BAHA implant).  Still no headaches for me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

v357139

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:47 pm »
As you've seen and will see, not all the docs have the same approach.  I had translab with belly fat and titanium mesh.  I am only 7 weeks, but no headaches so far than God.  There is an article on this site pertaining to headaches, let me know if you want it and I will forward you a copy.

Pick an experienced team with a good track record.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!