Author Topic: 3 Years, my my where has the time gone?  (Read 6113 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
3 Years, my my where has the time gone?
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
Greetings all.  Today marks the third ANniversary of my surgery!  It's been quite a ride.  I've had my ups and downs but overall a pretty positive experience, all things considered!  All you newbies out there, just take heart that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and soon you will be making corny titles to posts just like this one!! :)

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ewchisek

Re: 3 Years, my my where has the time gone?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:28:06 pm »
congrats! I really wish I was in your place! I have been diagnosed only for a week and it seems like a lifetime.  I dont really know where to go from here. How long from your diagnosis until you had surgery? How many doctors did you consult with? Do you live in california or did you travel there for surgery?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:06:35 pm »
Congratulations, Jay!  Time flies when you're having fun!  ;D

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:59 pm »
It is wonderful to hear your positive check in.  Life is good.   ;D
Ewchisek, I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.  It is scary and confusing in the beginning.  The information on this site is excellent.  Many of us sent our MRIs to clinics specializing in ANs.  HEI (House) will consult with you for free as will Dr. Chang at Stanford and others.  I scheduled my surgery as soon as I felt I had gathered enough information.  Soon after diagnosis I began experiencing increased symptoms.  After reading stories on this list, I decided to have surgery quickly before I lost any more hearing.  Fortunately, my hearing is the same as it was before the middle fossa surgery with HEI doctors. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:24 am »
I believe I can see some light peeking through.  Thanks, Jay, and all others who continue to try to help keep us on a "positive" road to recovery.   :)

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Seal

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »
I'm three and a half years, and life is good!     Sure the first couple of weeks and then the first few months are no walk in the park, but for all those facing the recovery, it is a steady, slow, and sure improvement over time.      When you think you've reached the top, then things continue to get a little better.   When you look back at one month, then three months, six months, and even a year, you will understand the continued progress.      Good things take time, and time will bring back those good times!!!

SteveK
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »
It is sooooo helpful to hear that others have also not been back to normal soon after treatment.  I can't believe it has already been over 4 months since surgery and it was only recently that I felt my brain was clearer and I was able to multi-task again.  Also, I have more energy again but that only happened recently.  Life is good and still getting better.

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

millie

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »
Karen and Steve-and all you guys-thank you!  It will be two months for me translab Dec 17th and I was down today but your posts tell me there is improvement in the months ahead..  I know I feel better than the first weeks but it is a slow progression, and being in a store during the holiday season sure puts the damper on our poor eyes and ears and brains!So thanks for the positive thoughts.  Mil

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »
Take good care of you.  :)

Chances3

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »
Good to hear Jay.  Thanks for sharing.  I think it is important to let the newbies know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm two years post op, and I thought I would never see progress.  Keep posting, people need it.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:32 pm »
I am almost 3 years post surgery, and it is better to be a veteran than a newbie. I relied on Jay, and a whole host of others here to avoid making bad decisions, and I listened to your experiences about making good decisions. I asked lots of question, and never got any direct answers to confirm my decisions. I did get examples of what you and lots of others went through, and then I made up my own opinion. Time really has flown. I still post here because I think my experiences might help someone. Just like Jay, life is good. Hang in there.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »
Thank you all for the encouraging comments.  It is you though who inspire me to be better, and me wanting to help the new people who come onto this forum such as I did 3 years ago feeling overwhelmed and more than a little concerned. Ewchisek, to answer your questions, it was about 4 months between my diagnosis and my surgery.  I live in Arizona so I traveled to California after I had consulted 3 doctors and chose House Ear Institute (although now their name has change to House Research Institue). If you have anymore questions please let me know!  I hope this finds everyone doing well as the holidays come up.  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston