Author Topic: one dose GK  (Read 1974 times)

doinoc

one dose GK
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:54:19 am »
Hi all,  anyone out there have had one dose of GK as treatment?  That's what has been suggested to me since I have no hearing to preserve.  I have app on May 4th to set a date for treatment.  I also have an app scheduled with my surgeon on the 28th of this month because i haven't totally ruled out surgery as of yet until i gather a few more facts.  I am leaning towards radiation.  My symstoms have worsened and i just want to get this done with now.  Being out of work for surgery right now is not a good thing but since I'm a children's hairstlist, having extreme unsteadiness after radiation will prevent me from going to work also.  its a tough call for me.  I wish finances didn't have to play a part of my care but it does.  I'm also facing surgery for spurs on my neck that is also interfering with my work so I was trying to avoid 2 surgeries....so....any feedback will be appreciated
Deb

mk

Re: one dose GK
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:33:30 pm »

GK is by definition single treatment (as opposed to fractionated CK and FSR). There are quite a few in the forum who had GK recently, mostly with encouraging results.
You are doing the right thing researching and consulting. There is a wealth of information here on all the different types of treatment and possible outcomes. I would suggest to read them carefully and to feel free to ask many questions.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

GRACE1

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:19:53 am »
I had GK in 2006 and was totally pleased with it.  There are others who have had it more recently.  I will be glad to answer any questions.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

gordy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:06:49 pm »
i had GK july of 2007 my tumor size was 1.5 by 1.5. feel fine now just as i did before getting diagnosed. still poor hearing in that ear but hopefully the growth is done growing. good luck to you.

doinoc

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:22 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  I'm leaning towards GK.  Still a little leary of regrowth and problems down the road but its seems the option that is right for me be now in my life.  Affraid if i w/w to long it won't be an option for long if my tumor decides to take a growth spurt.