Author Topic: Corn Dog update  (Read 5009 times)

Cheryl R

Corn Dog update
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:20 am »
Hello.  Just an update on our Iowa State fair visit.     The fair did not realize how popular their corn dog record event was going to be along with the free admission until 8:30 am.      We did do a very early start but the super long traffic line delayed us and were not even able to take part in the corn dog event.      They made 8400 corndogs with 10,000 people in the grandstand and an estimated 5000 more wanting to come in to it.      We were among the 5000.          It was said that 42,000 got in free to the fair which we did do.                  I do know there were way more people than we usually see at the fair the first day.
I did not do as well as I hoped with spending the day there.     I was really off balance and wonky headed by noon.  I know it is mostly due to being outside which is what can set me off.  We did leave earlier than we usually do.              I had not slept well at all the night before also which i think ispart of it.            I was hoping to do better as have found have no trouble when go out shopping anymore.         I guess I should realize I am only 3 1/2 months past this last surgery and since have now have the vestibular nerves cut on both sides do have to compensate a little harder.
  Oh well there is always next year!                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Corn Dog update
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:20:37 am »
CORNDOGS--yum!  I'm hungry already and I love having one washed down with those real lemon hand shook lemonades!  Lack of sleep definately has effect on my balance Cheryl, hopefully you will be able to return again another day better rested.  Wondering if a cane would help out when you are in situations of "outdoor" walking with lots of visual activity bombarding you? 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

lori67

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:18:18 pm »
Cheryl,

Maybe you were off balance because you were hungry - for a corn dog!!  :D  Who knew corn dogs were so popular - but I suppose all forms of corn are popular in Iowa!

I would bet the combination of factors - the lack of sleep, being outside, etc.. - contributed to your wonky-headedness.  I seem to be a little less balanced when I'm outside too.  Lucky for us, we can handle the shopping though!

Next year I'll be cheering you on to not only win the corn dog eating contest, but also to make it to the table without falling over!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:38 pm »
I'm going right now to pop me a corndog in the microwave - won't be as good as the fair, but now I am hungry for onw!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »
Cheryl,
Sorry you didn't get  your corndog or get to enjoy the fair as much as you hoped.  I have also found I am much more off balance outside.  I guess having all that open space around you is a little disorienting.  I also had the same problem in crowds before surgery, probably from not having enough space around me and possibly from people moving in so many different directions -- I knd of found that visually confusing..  I don't know how a crowd would effect me now as I havn't yet experienced that, but I'm assuming it would be the same or worse since all my balance issues are worse now than they were before.  I hope things improve for you.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 05:49:21 am »
Cheryl -

I agree with Wendy on the "open spaces" suggestion.  I found myself very disoriented in situations like this for a few months post op. 

Your surgery wasn't that long ago and I think you are doing incredibly.

Jan - still in Minnesota working my a** off  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:50:41 am »
I knew that the being outdoors for a day would probably bother me.  I was just hoping it wouldn't.               That has been a problem ever since 2001 and that first surgery.     I didn't think I even had any balance issues till went outdoors and discovered the world of wonkyhead.   It did of course improve in time but since have had the multiple surgeries and problems off and on.   Large open,sunny and sometimes windy areas have been what has bothered me the most.     I live out in the country so lots of uneven ground and no sidewalk.      Darn, I've just had to go to a mall to make sure I was on good walking areas.
I did see what I really wanted to at the fair.                            That free admission day did make a difference too.
 Last year the first day had just under 77,000 people and this year was 101,000.     
I know that I would not be a good candidate to go on a big vacation this summer.         I should improve in time or maybe won't too much since I am now vestibular free on both sides.    I get by ok for what I do normally on a daily basis.                                   I have to be better though by August 2009 as Chicago here we come!   
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:08:04 am »
Hi Cheryl-

Sorry about the corn dog - but I think they are better in memory than in reality.  I had one several years ago at Coney Island (which is famous for fried clam strips and corn dogs) and found that it wasn't near as good as I remembered! 

BTW, our state fair is going on right now and I decided that I am just not even going to try it this year - it's hot, the ground is uneven, it's crowded and it's noisy.  Of course, they DO have Calzones....

Here's to Chicago!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:36:11 pm »
Only our Dear Iowa Chery R would start a "Corn Dog Update" thread, God Bless'er!!!!!

You just keep on going don't you, girl!!  You just have more guts than all of us put together.  It was so great to get to know you at the symposium in Philly last summer.  Losing both vestibular sides has got to be challenging but you seem to not let it get the best of you at all.

See you in Chicago next summer for sure!

Hugs,

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 01:58:08 am »
Only our Dear Iowa Chery R would start a "Corn Dog Update" thread, God Bless'er!!!!!

It puts a smile on my face every time I see it here.

Losing both vestibular sides has got to be challenging but you seem to not let it get the best of you at all.

I noticed that Cheryl referred to it as being "vestibular free." That's really looking on the bright side.

Steve  8)

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:05:47 am »
Thank you Deb and Steve.               I am just amazed that  I have not had the problems I was supposed to have with walking after this last surgery.          It's not that I don't have some balance problems esp under certain conditions but most people would say what, what do you mean, you walk fine.                  I know wonky head quite well and my sometimes drunken sailor isn't an imtitation.         
I have felt for you Deb and to all who also have headaches and that has to be the most horrible life to put up with.       I feel very fortunate that I have not had any at all.        No dizziness ever also.
  What has meant the most was getting some hearing back this last spring.          Having to retire due to being next to completely deaf was not easy.      Having some decent hearing again on one side means so much.           I am writing this with tears as esp being able to hear my little 18 mo old granddaughter learning to talk now means the world to me.       That I am good enough to babysit her and her almost 5 yr old sister  is pretty darn good.            Thank heavens though that her teacher mom has her sitter back next week from vacation.   LOL.    They can tire you out.   I did  3 days of it this week.
You just learn that if there are multiple surgeries with this AN business that you will survive.      I knew from our hospital where I worked of 2 end stage liver disease ladies who did not before they could get a transplant.          One spent weeks of a time with us and she was grateful when I took care of her as I had a clue about what it is like to live with health issues.         
My mention of multiple surgeries does not mean I have been worse off than many here.    Those who have had large ANs have frequently had a very hard recovery and been thru so much afterwards.                        We are all in this together.
      Now that Iowa had a such a big deal of their corn dog event is another story and quite funny and how so many people showed up really is.      The way the world and economy is anymore makes a fun event something to enjoy.
                  Enough with this.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

lori67

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:08 am »
Cheryl -

If you think it was funny how many people showed up for corn dogs in Iowa - you need to come to the "RC Cola and Moonpie Festival" in TN next year.  Wear your best John Deere attire and prepare for a sugar high!  And like most things in the south, if it stands still long enough, it will be dipped in batter and deep fried - ever had a deep fried moon pie?   :-\

On a more serious note (yes, I can be serious every so often), I can't imagine not being able to hear my little ones - so I can totally understand how you feel about having enough hearing back to hear your grandchildren!  I know you are enjoying every noisy, tiring minute of having them around!

Treat yourself to a corn dog and a long nap after the regular sitter returns!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 07:55:38 am »
I think I will pass on the deep fried moon pie.      Our fair also has deep fried twinkiies and snickers on a stick and this years new item is deep fried pineapple.                     It is funny what all they do come up with.                       Oh, salad is on a stick now too.      That is new this year.      It would be fun to see what the south has for their goodies.          Now John Deere is big deal here too.
The corn dog is enough for me and the fair is the only time I ever have one too.       
The grandkids went to the other grandparents for today so my stint this week is over.       I do get to do next Fri though.              I have recovered nicely.          They grow up so fast so am just glad we live close to them.            I have 2 friends who has theirs in far off states.   
I do enjoy them all I can because I don't know what my future could be someday.        Life is all one day at a time.   
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:56:04 pm »
Cheryl -

just wanted to say that I am really looking forward to meeting you at the 2009 Symposium, so if you don't already have plans to attend, please change your plans!!!  ;D  We're not big on corn dogs or moon pies, but Chicago is famous for hotdogs and pizza and we've got a great lake (no pun intended)  ;)

BTW, I wore the BAHA t-shirt you so graciously sent me during my recent trip to MN.  It fit perfectly and I had a lot of questions about what a BAHA is.  So I had an opportunity to educate a lot of people.

Jan, happy to be back in Illinois
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 07:11:10 pm »
Oh yes, I certainly plan to be at the 2009 symposium.  This will be the closest one yet to me. Plus we have been to Chicago twice so have some idea about the sightseeing this time around.   I have been to the last 3 and enjoyed them so much.      Also the symposium will be at Iowa State fair time so how many corn dogs will I be required to bring?             Could get interesting if we drive.    LOL!                 Maybe Lori can come up with the moon pies too.     
                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08