Author Topic: 3 month follow-up hearing test  (Read 2756 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
3 month follow-up hearing test
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »
Yay, I passed with flying colors.  My hearing in my AN ear is 100% normal which is what it was on the baseline audiogram pre-surgery.  Nothing short of amazing, especially given the size of the tumor.   Now I can't pretend I don't hear my husband.  ;)
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jazzfunkanne

Re: 3 month follow-up hearing test
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:02:08 pm »
Hi Marci , your AN was on the large side, what route did they take too do the surgery? am amazed they saved your hearing nerve.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:05:34 pm »
Marci -  what were you thinking?  Telling your husband you got 100% on your hearing test?  You could have told him you failed miserably and then bribed us all to keep quiet!   ;)

Well, I suppose you were probably a little excited to share the good news with someone, and I suppose he was the easiest one to tell... so...I guess we'll let this one go!

100% is great news!  Make sure you hang that one on the fridge for all to see!

And won't it be great in Chicago next year when you can hear ALL of us perfectly????   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:48:02 pm »
Jazz, they did retrosigmoid.  I know the tumor was wrapped around the acoustic nerve but did not go into the auditory canal.  The tumor was not sticky and peeled off nicely.  But the neurotologist is still amazed that I had no hearing loss. 

Lori, you are so right.  The first thing Brian said was "well, I guess you really CAN hear me!".  I tried to backpedal with some garbled sentence about fluid still being present but I think I'm busted.  And yes, I will be one person who can be seated anywhere to accommodate everyone else's SSD.  A table full of AN folks--that has got to be pretty humorous.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
Marci~
I think the ones of us that have been SSD the LONGEST should have 1st dibs on the seating - I want the END so I can see everyones' mouths!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:30:19 pm »
Marci!

What fantastic news!!!  I am soooo happy for you  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Too bad Brian can't be fooled anymore, but this is one more thing to celebrate.  It is a  HUGE victory.  I am doing the happy dance for you!

Hugs,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »
Marci,

That is such great news! Congratulations! So glad to hear you had the best possible result!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

andrea in slc

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:39:35 pm »
Wow, that is great news! Whooo-hooo! Doing the (dizzy) happy dance for ya! Oops, just fell into the wall.  ;)

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
Marci~
I forgot to say (I was too busy claiming my spot at the table!) that I am so very happy for you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:09:43 pm »
Some of the tables where we have ate have been round.  But you know there are so many of ANers here planning to attend that we will be at multiple tables.   So all the right sided ones will be at one and the lefties at another.   Just hope your good friend matches your hearing side.  LOL!                       The discussion ones are usually rectangles  with longer tables for general sessions and small ones in the rooms for the small sessions.            They have captioning for most sessions which is a big help.                 Those pins which say which side you are deaf on will come in handy.              They never gave us any till the Sat evening banquet so getting one earlier would be better.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:32 am »
Hi everyone,

I have family in Chicago, so I guess I will have to make my reservation and see everyone!  It will be really nice to talk to people face to face instead of relying on my decidedly dyslexic typing skills.  You have no idea how long it takes me to post anything :-\

We do love to celebrate good news, Marci, and your news is great :) :).  Congratulations! When someone is happy, we all get to share in the smiles.

Mags
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:20:06 am »
Marci,
  Wow, great news on not losing any hearing.    The image of a bunch of SSD ANers trying to find seating at the same table gave me a chuckle.  :D
Regards,
  Rob

1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

MAlegant

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 07:16:27 am »
That's a fabulous picture, and exactly what I thought it might look like.   :D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 10:10:52 am »
Marci:

Congratulations on retaining your hearing at 100% following AN surgery!  This is fairly rare but indicates that SSD, while the most common AN symptom, is not always automatic with an acoustic neuroma. 

My wife hears just fine - in both ears - but has the uncanny ability to 'tune me out' on a regular basis, especially when I'm talking about something that doesn't really interest her or even when I go on a bit too long about something that does.  Funny how that works - because I do the same thing when she talks to me about things I'm not especially interested in hearing.  I expect that you and your husband have a similar situation, so I doubt your (retained) ability to hear him will be a detriment to your relationship.   :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
Rob, that is hysterical!  I think I'll just sit over on the side near Spongebob and wait for you guys to finish fighting it out for a good seat!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.