Author Topic: 3 month follow up MRI tomorrow  (Read 1952 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
3 month follow up MRI tomorrow
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »
Well, tomorrow is my three month MRI follow up from surgery.  I'm hoping they don't find any little boogers in there.  They had left 5% of the tumor in there as to not damage my facial nerves.  After the MRI I go to see the neurosurgeon to hear the results.  I will keep everyone posted as to what they find out.
I got to try out the BAHA last week.  I was shocked at how it made the deaf side think it could hear.  They are going to see if my insurance will cover it and then go from there.  I'm hoping it gets approved and that I can get the surgery scheduled.  It was awesome how it worked.
Well wish me luck tomorrow, i dread the MRI, drugs, drugs, drugs will be calling my name to knock me out.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Re: 3 month follow up MRI tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:14 am »
Susan,

Best of luck on the MRI.  Just take a deep breath, close your eyes and enjoy the hypnotic rhythm of the techno beats... all while enjoying the effects of a doctor prescribed sedative!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:22 pm »
Susan ~

I do wish you good luck with your MRI experience and, most of all, a satisfactory report (no growth) -  and that your medical insurance will cover a BAHA. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:31:35 pm »
Susan -

glad to hear you liked the BAHA demo.  IMO, it is AMAZING!!  ;D  If you need help with insurance coverage let me know; I have some information from Cochlear that might help you.

Good luck in the tube of gloom.  Sorry to hear you don't like it there; I personally find it very relaxing.

Let us know what the results show.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
Yeah, I made through the tube of doom!  I just can't get over how loud that thing can be.  I took pills before I went in.  They gave me an ear plug for the good ear and a wash cloth.  I think I may have started to hyperventilate a little and then I calmed myself down but telling myself that I just wanted it over.
The doctor said the partial piece left in was too close to my facial nerve to remove.  He said the MRI showed no growth and I will go back in 6 months to watch it.  If it grows he will think of radiation, right now he doesn't see it growing any time soon.  Yeah!!
The doctor said I looked really good and that he was still so impressed with my smile and blinking.  I guess they must have been really worried about that.
I have a question, I have been hearing a whoosing sound in my bad ear. The doctor looked and said there was no fluid in there.  It sounds like I have water stuck in it everytime I move my head.  It's driving me crazy now.  If anyone else hears this plus the buzzing or humming noise, let me know.
Thanks for the well wishes, just glad it's over for another 6 months.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

satman

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:51:36 am »
congrats on the no re-growth, thats awesome !
as far as the woosh- that was one of the symptoms i had before the surgery.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

steph28

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:04:39 am »
Hi

I have the high pitch noise 24/7, but I am learning to live with it.

I get a funny noise. I guess you could refer it to water. I asked my surgeon and he said that it was most likely my heart beating!! As the 3 bones in the ear are most likely conducting it. I can honestly say it really annoys me as it plays up when I trying to go to sleep. But then its a sign I'm still alive!!!

I hope this helps

Steph

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:41 am »
I'm not positive, but I'm thinking the whooshing, buzzing, and humming is tinnitus.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:01 am »
Hi, Susan ~

I'm pleased to learn that prayers were answered and you not only 'survived' the MRI session but had a positive (no tumor growth) outcome!  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.