Author Topic: When you fire your AN doctor . . . .  (Read 3559 times)

sgerrard

Re: When you fire your AN doctor . . . .
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 08:44:26 pm »
Just wanted to add that unlike years ago, physicians offices are run like businesses. 

Maybe the letter from the doctor was required by their ISO-9000 certification... ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: When you fire your AN doctor . . . .
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 01:50:21 pm »
Steve,

Not sure what ISO-9000 certification is.  When I decided to change doctors, I just called my old AN doc to let him know out of courtesy.  I figured it would save him the cost of sending me a registered letter every year to remind me to have my MRI and follow-up visit.  The office manager said that according to HIPPA I would need to put in writing that I was being followed by another doctor for my tumor care.  Of course, when I have changed docs in the past, it was just a primary care doc and a GYN.  I only saw them for routine check-ups.  They never sent a letter or called to ask why I was changing docs.  Maybe with a tumor, it is a different story since it is an ongoing medical problem.  But still,I think it is weird that the doc was asking for more info since I sent the info he asked for in the first place.

My new AN doc and old AN doc use the same GK Center, attend the same conferences to discuss cases, and use some of the same team members at the GK Center (radiation oncologist, neurosurgeon, nurse, etc.).  Doctors do operate a business, so I am sure there is competition and ego involved.  I doubt my old AN doc would have sent me to my new AN doc for a second opinion since they are part of the same GK Center.  He sent me for a second opinion at the University Hospital where the docs aren't really in competition with my AN doc.  I also doubt that my old doc would have sent me to the other GK Center in town that competes with his GK Center.  So, I imagine my doc was a bit hurt when I chose to go with another doc in his same network of docs.

I still don't know if I should write my old AN doc a letter giving more details about why I changed doctors.  I guess what I would say differently than my first letter is:  My new AN doc has more experience treating ANs, I like his personality better, and I like the way he explained the procedure to me.  Would that help my old doctor any?  I doubt he would change the way he relates to his patients.  Besides, it isn't a big deal in my opinion because some people might really like the way my old AN doc presents himself.  My old AN doc is clinical and seems to carry the attitude of , "I am the professional here, and I know what is best."  My new AN doc is more layed back, and he seems to encourage more two way converstation.  I like that.  Others might like the more clinical approach better.

I have changed doctors in the past for that very same reason--personality fit.  And, then I have friends who see the doc I quit seeing, and they think he is great.  Different strokes for different folks is all I can say.  So, I'm not really seeing a purpose in writing a letter that would basically say, "I just like the other doctor more--just because!". 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs