Author Topic: The big day is getting closer... one week from today.. September 5  (Read 5574 times)

ConnieJ

Well one more week. It sure has been a long 3 months since I found out about my AN. I haven't been on here much, trying to get ready and keep busy and having alot of fun.. or trying to anyway. My last day of work is Friday and I am finding that to be the hardest thing to deal with right now. I really love my job and I am not liking the fact that someone is taking over to do it. I am kind of a control freak about my work...  lol. I know it has to happen, but I don't like it, so Friday is going to be hard day for me. I am nervous and scared about the surgery, I think its just the unknown that is getting to me.. am I going to hurt when I wake up, is my face going to be paralyzed etc.. you guys know. My surgery hasn't been the only stress my family has been dealing with someone very close to us was diagnosed  with cancer 2 weeks ago, I found out early this summer that I am going to be a grandma, there having a girl but the baby is having some problems right now and my other son's good friends' house burnt down. The last few weeks  have just been to say the least.. a "mess" around here, but like my husband says " you can't let yourself get anymore stressed out"... I just laugh and say" yea right...whatever". Anyways I just thought I would post so that all of you would keep me in your thoughts and prayers this next week, so that I may find the peace and the strength to get me to that "postie" point. Boy I can't wait until that happens. Well I good night for now I will post again before my surgery.I know it has been said many times before but thank you for this place... a place where we all understand what each of us  are going through or have gone through. God Bless all of you!!!.... Connie

linnilue

Re: The big day is getting closer... one week from today.. September 5
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 06:39:24 pm »
Dear Connie,  best of luck to you.  I am so sorry that your life has been full of "stuff" this month.  But I want you to know the one thing that I am sure of.  I too became a grandmother during my recovery phase of my AN radiosurgery and I swear to God that his birth, helped me/made me realize how wonderful important life is and that he was a gift to me when I needed it the most.  I am sure that the birth of that baby will be the best day of your life, trust me.  I know you are frightened but think of your life ahead with that wonderful grandchild.  It's like heaven.  Good Luck, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

goinbatty

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:40:48 pm »
My prayers are certainly with you and your family.  Please keep us posted.  
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:12 pm »
ConnieJ -

Waiting for your surgery date is stressful enough without the added things you are going through; I wish I could somehow alleviate them. 

As a postie, my advice to you is take things as they come.  It's very hard to predict what to expect post op and worrying about what could possibly happen can just stress you out.  It's been said a million times on this forum, and I concur, that everyone is different.  It's good to be prepared for possibilities, but try not to spend too much time worrying.  Try to find something that will put your mind at ease and relax you.  I know it's easier said than done, but try to give yourself permission to just let go.

To my family and close friends, I'm a well-known control freak.  Before my surgery my younger brother told me that it was very important to "release control" and it was the best advice I received.  He likened this release with taking a cross-country airplane trip.  In his reasoning, you've booked the flight, you're on the plane, the pilot is in charge, and it's your job to sit back and take the ride.  You have no control over what God or the pilot is doing; you just have to trust them to get you to your destination.  Kind of a strange comparison, but I understood what he was trying to say.  So, in the days before my surgery, I focused on my comfort level with my doctors and adopted the position that things were out of my hands and in theirs.  Before my procedure started I told those present that I was putting my trust in them and that I was sure they'd do their best.  In fact, the last thing I said before the anesthesia hit me was "I'm releasing control now".  Everyone got a chuckle out of that, but I fell asleep with peace of mind and a smile on my face.  The day I was released from the hospital my brother sent me a beautiful floral arrangement and on the card he told me that now I could "officially take back control". 

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:47:04 am »
Connie:  My thoughts & prayers will be with you on Sept. 5th      Will put positive thoughts out to the universe.   Boy, you sure have been dealing with alot of other issues during  this time.   Take care,  always good thoughts to you,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:01:37 pm »
Hi, Connie:

Sorry to learn of the problems that seem to be surrounding you as your surgery approaches.  However, almost everything you mentioned is pretty much beyond your personal control.  However, your empathy for others is both understandable and admirable. 

I'll venture a prayer for you before and on the day of your surgery.  Please don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll come through it O.K.  Some of us do, you know.   ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 03:11:12 pm »
Best of luck from me also for a successful surgical outcome for you.  I hope all is uneventful and that you return to good health very quickly. 

Thinking of you,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

pattibobatti

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:13:03 pm »
Hi Connie,

Just wanted to tell you I did not have any pain,ever, right after the surgery.  It makes sense to think there would be, but hopefully you will avoid that too.

I will think of you on the 5th.  Good luck to you and God bless you.  I remember the waiting part was hard but you will be through this in no time.

Take good care
Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 11:00:12 pm »
Connie -

like Patti, I had no pain after surgery either.  The only discomfort I had was a stiff neck - the result of my head being at a strange angle for 7 1/2 hours of surgery while they removed my AN.  The pressure bandage I had to wear for 2 or 3 days post surgery didn't help my neck either, since it made the left side of my head feel heavy and awkward.  Everyone's different and it's hard to say if you will or won't experience pain.  Try not to stress about it; just take it as it comes - and remember if you do have pain, just ask the nurse for some meds - I'm sure the doctor will prescribe some just in case.

Good luck on the 5th,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Obita

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 07:15:33 am »
Good luck ConnieJ!!

No pain for me either except the neck thing.  I hope you breeze through it like I did.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:45 am »
Connie,
  Best of luck tomorrow.  The waiting is almost over.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:11:19 am »
Connie, in 48 hrs, you will be a "postie" (post-treatment)... lovely ring to it, doncha think? :)  (besides what is already in our ears!  ;D )

Sending you wishes for a good procedure and know that you are going to do great. Will be cheering you on!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 02:11:26 pm »
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Good luck!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ConnieJ

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:57 pm »
I just want to thank all of you for your support. I find myself today being on a rollercoster of emotions and I have to say it's driving me crazy, but its almost here and almost over. Yes Phyl that has a great ring to it.. I have joined one very special club and now I am about to join another.
Well I better try to get some rest, lol.... I don't think that is going to happen but I can at least try. Good night and thank you all again so much. I will post as soon as I can. Maybe I will even see if I can get my husband to post while I am in the hospital.
Love to you all, Connie

sloxana

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 11:15:17 am »
Good luck Connie!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!.......

All the best,
Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt