Author Topic: Chiropractor .... is it safe?  (Read 3292 times)

Denisex2boys

Chiropractor .... is it safe?
« on: August 07, 2007, 06:55:29 pm »
Tomorrow is my scheduled 'adjustment' and this is the first time I will be going there since getting my diagnosis last week of having a 1.5 cm AN.  I suffer a lot of headaches along with the hearing loss, tingling on the left side and the full conjestive pressure.  I usually have my neck manipulated - is this safe?  I thought the headaches were due to my neck and now am wondering if they are due to the AN - they are a recent on-going symptom of a couple of weeks.

I just don't want to potentionally do something that may make things worse.
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Desilu

Re: Chiropractor .... is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:49:20 am »
Hi Denisex2boys,

I used to get adjustments twice a month for my neck and back. At the time, I didn't even know I had an AN. Needless to say I was fine after the adjustments. Although I have not had any adjustments since my surgery. I would call your doctor first, just to be sure, you wouldn't want to make matters worse. It would be a good idea to tell your chiropractor about your situation also. Please keep us posted on what they say.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:06:05 am »
Denise,
  Great question.  I've been wondering if chiropractic manipulation of the neck would be safe, post AN surgery.   Since a chiroprator sometimes holds the head and uses it to leverage and manipulate the neck vertebra, I wonder if a surgically modified skull would be too weak for such manuvers.
Regards,
 Rob   
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

NF-2er

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:04:54 am »
Hi;

My personal and unprofessional feeling is chiropracty may be dangerous for a person who recently has had surgery requiring a radical mastoidectomy. Those are retro sigmoid and translab.
   I am aware of a person who's occipital bone? became detached from spinal C-1 during a chiropractic manipulation following surgery. Fusion was the only option for that person.
   I hope your days are nice!

NF-2er

Mary 117

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »
Hi. I never had neck or back problems and had never seen a chiropractor. After surgery, my neck would "catch" every time I turned my head to the right. After 6 months and it was getting worse, I saw a chiropractor. I told him about my surgery and he has been very careful. I see him once every 3-4 months and I always feel better. This is just my experience and I'm sure there are all sorts of other stories.

Good Luck- Mary

2cm Middle fossa HEI Dr Brackmann   May24, 2005
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Denisex2boys

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:58:04 pm »
I called my ENT and since I am pre-treatment he suggested NO neck manipulation.  It is still ok for other adjustment (i.e. back, etc.).  Figures that I can't get my neck done and it is especially 'tight' today - but that is probably because I have been soooo' darned tense since learning of this 'entity' within.  The neck adjustments seemed to help with the headaches too - which now I guess I can attribute in part to the AN.

So, no necks .....  I may try cranial sacral (anyone tried that for the congested, full feeling?)
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 02:57:44 pm »
I have had chiropractic adjustments for the better part of the last 25 years following a head trama which gave me a concussion and bad whiplash. I have suffered  bad headachesand and tinnitus  ever since. The adjustments have always helped, adjusting the  neck is  especialy helpful for the headaches. Also, deep tissue massage of the neck muscles helps considerably with the chiropractor adjustment directly following the massage. Prior to my AN surgery (middle fosa) almost 3 years ago, I asked my surgeon to approve some PT to start in the hospital for my neck and back.  I explained to him that I already had neck issues and it was my understanding that my neck/head would be held in a vice like deivce holding it hyperextended to the left side.  Althought an expert in the field of removing AN's, but not ever having the surgery himself, he told me I would not need any PT, and therefore it was never ordered for me. Of course, my neck was so tweeked after that I was in agony. I managed to get them to bring me a heating pad in the hospital. But it was not until about 4 mo post op that I went in to the chiropractor for my first adjustment.   It took a long time but the massage and adjustments really helped.  If you can find a chiropractor who employs massage therapists, it's ideal as it is paid by my insurance as part of my 20 chiro visits a year.  The massage therapist suggested cranial sacrial which I was very excited to try, but the only one near here who does it had just been bitten by a dog at the time and lost the tip of her finger.  SO instead, the massage therapist and I at home did some very mild massage of my scalp which relaly helped sooth. Also, my scalp all around the incision seemed to be stuck the skull. So the mild massage helped to eventually break it away.  I still go, not often enough, and it always helps.
  As far as not having your neck adjusted until after treatment, I guess it would all depend on where the AN is situated, if the tumor is effecting any nerves that might also be effected by a neck manipulation, or if it's pressing on the brian stem, might be reasons a neck adjustment would be bad??. Otherwise it wouldn't  seem that doing the neck for some relief would cause problems with a tumor that has probably been there quite some time, but then I'm no doctor. I was having manipulations all those years and the tumor was there all that time, I just didn't know it.  I, like you always blamed my headaches on the neck.  I understand that once you injur an area, especially the neck, it becomes a weak part of the body and anytime you are stressed, the stress will go right to the weakest area of the body, thus causing the headaches, which is why the adjustments made sense to me.
  My headaches did start getting worse and worse and the tinnitus was getting much worse. Then I noticed my hearing was getting bad. I thought for a long time that my hearing was fine, I just couldn't hear over the tinnitus, but all these symptoms is what caused me to go to the doc and eventually find out about the AN.  I have read somewhere on this forum that prior head trama can possibly be linked to the growth of the AN??  It would be interesting to know.

If the neck adjustments really help you, you may want to call the ENT back and find out why he thinks it's a bad idea. It sure would be nice if you could get some releif, especially with the added stress your under since your diagnosis.
Good Luck, and sorry your part of the AN club now, but welcom aboard. In the meantime,  alternate ice & heat for some relief.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year